Roderick

Feminism

Everyone else gets it when the Feminist Cabal decides they're no longer misogynists.

That would actually be the perfect way for Valve to come out after this whole debacle and state their opinion, by locking off their game from people they don't think deserve it.

"For us to serve you better, please connect your Steam and Twitter accounts."
*Boop*

"Your Steam account has been suspended."

Just imagine

Anita Sarkeesian was doxxed and her home address was posted publicly. They claim to have found it so they can report her to the IRS because they claim she's non-profit federally but for-profit in her state, or some shit like that. But in reality, GG/4Chan just continue to be scum either way.

because Anita Sarkeesian is a journalist and her company's organisation not being what they think they should be is ethics

what clowns

"For us to serve you better, please connect your Steam and Twitter accounts."

*Boop*

"Your Steam account has been suspended."

Just imagine

To make up for your account suspension, you receive a copy of Half-Life: The Mossman Chronicles, a faux-ARG and poorly programmed branching narrative Twine adventure in which you play research scientist Judith Mossman as she interviews for the post of Research Associate at Black Mesa Research Facility, a position which is always given to male applicant Gordon Freeman upon the recommendation of Old Boys Network member Isaac Kleiner, regardless of player choice throughout the experience.

(now I want to play Half-Life: Decay)

Obtaining her home address for legal proceedings is one thing (disgustingly tenuous, given the uniqueness of Sarkeesian's forename and surname combination), but publicizing it instead of using it for the stated purpose is shameful and surely counter-productive if the anti-Quinn/Anita core are still invested in maintaining a facade of respectability.

Unless they no longer are.

First post emotes:

:mrt::nuts:

Anita Sarkeesian was doxxed and her home address was posted publicly. They claim to have found it so they can report her to the IRS because they claim she's non-profit federally but for-profit in her state, or some shit like that. But in reality, GG/4Chan just continue to be scum either way.

It amazes me how they ignore their own actual, bona-fide crimes while talking about the law.

Good lord, what a week. Even being on the periphery of this whole thing it's been pretty bewildering and rage-inducing to follow, and it's taken me a while to solidify my thoughts on it (the recent Thumbs episode and that Isometric cast someone linked helped a lot). I'm just gonna vomit them here because I need a place to vent, even if this doesn't effect me directly. Lots of profanity and rage ahead.

As ever I continue to be the most frustrated by the so-called moderates, the "reasonable" ones, the people who are content to sit on the fence and decry both sides while accomplishing nothing and worse. The people who took up the clarion call of taking journalists to task for their questionable ethics when it was really just a smokescreen for more nefarious parties to harass and (successfully!) expel elements of their culture they found unsavoury with impunity. That is to say women, obviously. It angers me to no end that these blind, ignorant fuckups can sit there and level excuse after excuse (but Zoe this, but Zoe that) in order to redirect the conversation towards their own interests when real, actual lives are being ruined as they sit on their hands and complain about the journalistic integrity of Kotaku. Fucking Kotaku. I swear to god every comment I read that resembles "yes that's bad, but..." makes my blood pressure rise. "Yes, obviously this shouldn't be happening, but--" no, fuck you, that's not good enough. You should be outraged that this is happening, in the name of the very thing you're trying to defend no less. "Well those are just some bad apples, both sides have those, they don't represent me!" Then fucking do something about it, otherwise what good are you? It's like they walked into a burning building, saw someone burning to death, and calmly explained to them that they weren't the ones that lit the match and besides didn't you say some means things about fire in the past? Worse still, some of these people have thousands, millions of followers that hang onto their every word. They had an opportunity to say something and they squandered it on trying to be "reasonable" and "even handed." Because being seen to support one side or the other would open them to criticism, too. Because feminism is a dirty word. Because this whole thing is absolutely, undeniably mired in politics and "social justice," as much as everyone else wants to deny it. Because according to the people who pay their ad revenue, it's not about feminism... until you take a stand against harassing women, and then fuck you get your politics out of gaming.

The thing that gets me is, if these people value gaming at all, which they will go to lengths to convince you they do, why would they not want to stick up for developers? The answer is plain as day to me now - it's because they don't care about gaming, they care about games. They don't want to think about how the sausage is made, they just want a nice fatty piece of meat on their plate, at a price they deem befits the maker's standing ($15 for a 2D platformer, are you shitting me? I'll just wait for the humble bundle, my Destiny pre-order arrives tomorrow anyway!) and they can starve for all the shits they give. But as soon as someone tries to tell them, hey, it's cool that you enjoy that, but wouldn't it be cool if these other people could have something they enjoy too? You're no longer a gamer to them. Because gamers don't have agendas, gamers play games.

Fuck. I know I generalised a lot at the end there but that's pretty representative of the deluge of comments I've been enduring on reddit and elsewhere, so my brain is probably conflating some stuff to save space. There's just too much stupidity and inconsiderate bullshit out there right now. What frustrates me the most is that I couldn't stomach it enough to say something at the time, even if I would have been one voice among countless others. The whole thing was so repellent that I just bounced right off it. Not that I could organise my thoughts at the time anyway, so I probably would've said something stupid and inflammatory - instead I just settled for inflammatory. Whatever, I just hope when this shit all dies down people will remember what sparked it all off. It'd be so easy to look back and cherry pick the positive discussions which gave room for all this horrible shit to happen and completely ignore the casualties of this whole mess. People are out of a job now, not because they were actually incompetent, but because they refused to endure the mob that told them in no uncertain terms that they weren't wanted. That, if nothing else, should communicate to people how disproportionate the level of outrage over this stuff is to the actual stakes at hand. People are voluntarily leaving the industry because they've been shouted out by people who claim to represent gaming, and other gamers still have their guns pointed squarely at journalists, because OF COURSE Gone Home didn't deserve a 10/10, I knew it all along! The message is that journalists need to raise themselves to such an insane standard as to be completely unimpeachable, and for no extra benefit to themselves except some smug youtuber won't record a 30 minute expose at the faintest whiff of corruption.

If this is their audience, then why should they?

It amazes me how they ignore their own actual, bona-fide crimes while talking about the law.

I went on /v/ to see what they were saying about their part in releasing Sarkeesian's address. In the little bit that I read before having to run away and restore my faith in humanity by sighing wistfully while thinking about Jeff Goldblum, a comparison to Snowden was made. It's not that they ignore their own crimes. They just think it's justifiable.

a comparison to Snowden was made.

That's almost as mind boggling as early gaters comparing gamer gate to the Arab Spring.

It's like they walked into a burning building, saw someone burning to death, and calmly explained to them that they weren't the ones that lit the match and besides didn't you say some means things about fire in the past

Third burning building analogy of this discussion! I mainly bring that up because I made the first one because of how very smart I am. Yours is good, though.

(Sorry, I'm awful.)

-----

This stuff keeps seeming like it's winding down, then there's some new burst of terribleness; a little explosion of putrid shit. I find it draining to witness, and I'm not even getting involved in any real way (to my discredit). I can't imagine having to put up with this kind of nonsense (though not always so high-profile) for a large portion of my life.

Third burning building analogy of this discussion! I mainly bring that up because I made the first one because of how very smart I am. Yours is good, though.

(Sorry, I'm awful.)

It's like I walked into a burning building and made a burning building analogy.

This stuff keeps seeming like it's winding down, then there's some new burst of terribleness; a little explosion of putrid shit. I find it draining to witness, and I'm not even getting involved in any real way (to my discredit). I can't imagine having to put up with this kind of nonsense (though not always so high-profile) for a large portion of my life.

This is very much an orchestrated thing. I saw people not mentioning the IGF specifically, but mentioning that "something big" was going to happen on Sunday, also relating it to the person who did all of the digging to spawn that shitheap.

@Denial, thanks for the Marketplace link, great to hear another industry voice (no pun intended) speak out, and to do so know she may face backlash for it. 

The article I link to below gets into the edit war over Quinn's Wikipedia entry.  The article itself outs one editor, and the comments out another.  I'm comfortable linking it here, but if people feel it's inappropriate, I'll remove it.

So continuing the blind hypocrisy of the gaters, there was kind of a shitstorm about this article and its doxxing of two Wikipedia editors.

http://wikipediocracy.com/2014/09/07/wikipedia-and-the-war-on-womens-dignity/

Here's a reddit page where people are all frothing about Quinn doxxing these people by tweeting a link to the article (a tweet she has since deleted):

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2fvt9n/zoe_links_a_doxx_to_wikipedia_editors_who_tried/

It's an interesting question.  Do you have full right to privacy when you choose to make Wikipedia edits to a high profile article that is currently controversial?  This isn't like commenting on Reddit, or posting on your own Tumblr.  This is essentially writing what will be one of the most common narratives many people will encounter, on one of the most popular sites on the world, which many people (erroneously) trust.  Is it unreasonable to want to know who is writing articles for Wikipedia?  Particularly if the pattern looks like the people most dedicated to controlling the article are not who they claim to be and clearly demonstrate both through the talk pages and other sources that they do not have any interest in a neutral, factual narrative.

Jennifer Hale, who incidentally has the best voice in the world, has spoken to Overcast's Marketplace Tech Report about the harassment of women in games culture (starts at about 3:15, or maybe AUSTIN 3:16). Saddeningly, although not surprisingly, friends of hers apparently warned her against speaking out in public.

Zoe Quinn has responded by booping a Reaper.

Whoa. I knew who this was before I started, but even so having a voice I intimately associate with Shepard talking about current events is kind of surreal.

Whoa. I knew who this was before I started, but even so having a voice I intimately associate with Samus Aran talking about current events is kind of surreal.