Thompson

Dreams!

I just had a dream that Campo Santo announced they were making flash games for the Nickelodeon website. They all seemed super excited about it though.

Today I had a raging headache for most of the day. Somewhere in the middle, I decided to take a nap after popping some pills in my mouth.

So I went to sleep and had what I'm pretty sure was a lucid dream where I visited japan with my brother. I have a distinct memory of being in direct control of everything. Which is a thing I'm PRETTY sure has never happened to me before. I'm always jealous of people who speak of lucid dreams. Well, anyway... I was like, "hey, bro, let's eat here" at some random restaurant in Japan. And then "you know, I know this is a dream, and I can do anything i want, watch" and then I smashed a customer's head into a display window, and it shattered and he just walked away like nothing happened. And then I was like "this is boring, there's no consequences for anything I do", and then I looked at a waiter and said "child of light" and waved my hand at the window and it fixed itself. And then I said "nightmare of doom" and waved my hand at the waiter and he exploded in flames. And then I said "i'm going to wake up now" and woke up.

I don't know why my default behavior to prove I was in control of my dream was to do something psychotic.

I also have no idea why I chose the phrase "child of light, nightmare of doom", which was said all at once.

That was weird.

I had my first LOST dream in a while.

The man in black was using time-travel to alter history, including the crucifixion (Ron Perlman played Pontius Pilate, which in my dream was a clue because he also played a modern-day character). There was also a shot of him morphing from smoke into a horse, which apparently I hadn't noticed before and clarified all the ambiguity of the entire series for me.

Last night I dreamt I was following a sandwich floating down a hallway.

That's all. The entire dream was me chasing a sandwich. Guess I was hungry when I went to sleep.

I just had a creepy Gone Home dream. It was like Gone Home in setting, but the house was more affluent and archaic. They had lots of stuff like metal masquerade-style masks and bird cages and doll cases and shit. Another major difference is that there were a few NPCs. It was much more of a ghost-story. This 8-12 year-old boy had grown up in the house and he was walking around with you solving the puzzles; sometimes he would wander off a little bit to do some thing he routinely did when he was alive or a strong memory or whatever. It quickly became clear that this was a creepy game about creepy over-protective parents that imprison their son in the mansion. The puzzles became a diversion set up by the parents to keep you and the boy busy. I got so frustrated at one point that I picked up an umbrella and started bashing the glass of the front door yelling "I want out of this house!" The glass broke in a video gamey way that told me that the door was not modeled to ever open.

A concerned aunt who identified as someone who spoils the boy gave us a rack of costume-clothing with the understanding that putting it on would get us out of the house. The idea of putting on a green velvet suit for a 10 year-old with an art-deco silk vest that had a gold and dark brown offset cube pattern on it, was so creepy that I didn't want to do it. It felt like I was agreeing to some creepy game. But I felt like it was the only way to get out of the house so I did it. My avatar and the boy open the front door leaving me behind. The game had been in first-person, but based off of the way the boy had been referring to me like a desparately desired play-mate of the same age, and the fact that he walked out of the spot I was occupying, I knew it was me. So then I'm like "fuck, the player-character and the boy just left me in the house."

Then one of the characters in the house is now a 20-something version of the boy and it's obvious that he has become part of this creepy status-quo. Out of frustration, I attack him and he's all The Joker enjoying it and asking how long we will do this. I'm throwing him into doll-cases and tea-party sets and he's just enjoying the attention. C r e e p y.

This morning I had a dream with Jake in it. I was at a friend's house that was similar to a ski-lodge in that it had employees, a restaurant, and worker/consumer activity. I think I may have worked in the kitchen in the past, there was that type of famiarity with the cooks, but I felt no sense of duty.

It was time for me to go home from a vacation and I remembered that my car was parked in the margins of a grocery store parking-lot that was the grocery store parking-lot when I was a child. It would be a 30-40 minute walk to get there. My wife and I packed my luggage and I headed downstairs where Jake said that he could give me a ride to my car. This entered us into that relationship you enter into when someone offers to give you a ride, following them around in directions that do not bring you closer to your destination. We went to some movie theater for a video-game event of some sort. Jake was sitting on the same row, but I was a few seats away and sitting near strangers. On the screen, as a game similar to Defense Grid was being shown (I've never played Defense Grid, the only reason it would be on my mind is because I read the beginning of a Polygon article about its difficulties getting published ) people could type messages that would show up on the screen. Jake typed some inside joke that involved a female name and some people in the theatre laughed, but I didn't get it.

From there the dream moved on to me walking down a dirt road with a caravan of some sort. The weather was nice and sunny, cool and breezy. There was a troubador carriage that did a cute little performance. I quickly became friend with the four actors who were crammed into the carriage-stage thing (kinda like a puppet-show stage with the opening and cloth background). One of the actors was an attractive young woman whom I complimented on how she "looks good" when she seemed to have doubts about the quality of her portion of the performance. I immediately became concerned that I had just hit on her to make her feel better rather than talking about the actual performance. Then I continued to walk down the road. That's when the alarm went off and I stumbled out of bed to feed the cats.

So for the past two months or so I've gone back and started listening to Idle Thumbs from the beginning. Now I am at episode 116 (while also listening to new episodes as they've come out).

Last night I had a weird dream where I was doing the most boring and mundane tasks, but the Thumbs were narrating and commenting on everything I did. Then I opened a door and walked into a bathroom, and in the shower was a plastic horse with a feeding bag strapped around its face, colored black with a neon green "Idle Thumbs" logo on it. And Chris just kept repeating "Horse Bag" over and over again, slowly getting louder, until I woke up.

Today while taking a five hour nap I had an abundance of wacky dreams, most of which I can't remember. One involved Chris Remo telling a story on the podcast about a time he had done something I'd literally just done in the dream. I don't remember what it was we actually did.

One I did remember: me and a nameless female companion were trying to set up Peter Dinklage the Circus Owner (this is probably offensive) on a hot date with a Russian stewardess who he thought was Japanese. He'd met her three years before when flying a lot on the same plane for some reason. He was going to retire from the circus business and hadn't decided who he should pass his heritage onto. If we were successful, he would tell us the secret of where he got the super sparkly water he sold at the circus, and I think give us the circus, too? The water had some special property. ...Then I woke up.

I also just remembered a dream where I jumped out of a ski lift and slid down the wire to escape some Bad Guy who was in the ski lift. It was rad.

Dreamt last night that Argobot and I spent all night recording vines of Chris and Jake on stage performing some kind of Nirvana/Weezer song and dance.

Keep dreaming that my teeth are falling out. I do not like these dreams.

In one of those dreams you have as you are waking up and falling back asleep on your day off...

I dreamt that I checked the forums and Tegan had started a Metroid Prime thread. My reaction was "Wow, was there really not a Metroid Prime thread already?" It had recieved one response thus far (I don't remember who) and Tegan had provided a second reply. I hadn't played Metroid Prime, so I just went on my way.

I had a dream last night where I just smoked a cigarette and it was the greatest feeling thing ever.

Which is weird because I've never smoked in my life and find cigarettes gross.

It's clearly a sign that you should start smoking.

Please don't.  It's terrible and I've been trying to quit for years.

I dreamt that I checked the forums and Tegan had started a Metroid Prime thread. My reaction was "Wow, was there really not a Metroid Prime thread already?" It had recieved one response thus far (I don't remember who) and Tegan had provided a second reply. I hadn't played Metroid Prime, so I just went on my way.

This is all of my threads.

Please don't.  It's terrible and I've been trying to quit for years.

Don't worry, even with that dream I still don't plan on ever smoking.

My mom quit smoking when I was a kid, so I saw her struggle with trying to quit, and eventually succeeding. I hope you, too, succeed in quitting.

I started at a new job this week and I've been design a website so of course I had a nightmare last night about how I was almost finished coding but then I changed something in a class selector in a CSS file and the whole website looked like a pixely, rainbow barf. When I tried to go back and change my CSS it just looked like The Matrix. That's when I woke up in a cold sweat and my heart beating like an old fishing boat motor..

I had a dream last night that I had reached new standards of poverty. I lived in a big empty apartment with no food, but I had figured out that I could fry and eat these huge spiders the size of a frying pan that lived in the building. I could only catch about one a day because they were so fast, and they were thoroughly unpleasant to eat.

If I had to eat nothing but spiders I would rather die, I think.

I had a dream last night that Terry Pratchett said some incredibly sexist things and refused to apologize and it ruined me. It was weird. I don't normally have dreams that are negative in a realistic way. (Not that Pratchett being an unrepentant sexist is realistic, but more that it's something that could possibly happen with someone I admire.)

I dreamt that I walked into a store-front that was mostly empty but with the plaster spatial divisions that you find in department stores. It was being used as some sort of think-tank club. I don't know if other parts of the country have this but in the southeast of the United States, there's this tendency for christian youth-evangelism to open hangout-spaces that resemble sparse, temporary looking, stripmall coffee-shops. It was one of those, but for philosophizing or academic curiousity.

Anyway I sat in one of the chairs that didn't match any others and the leader of the discussion handed me a single sheet of paper and finished what they were saying about what they thought of "Muerdin's"? theory on fan fiction. Then he told me it was my turn. I can't read well in dreams so I gave up trying and just decided to tell them about how I had been participating in a discussion in the fan fiction thread on the Idle Forums. One of y'all must have been represented by one of the other few people in the room because they kinda gave the name-drop a nod. I knew who it was in the dream, but now I think it was some blend of my made-up mental images of El Muerte, Bjorn, and Gormongous.

I talked for like two minutes about why I thought the subject was interesting. The only part I remember is what I was trying to say once the host became bored and was not-so politely trying to give someone else a chance to speak. I was trying to tell them that I really enjoy how every branch in a story gets filled out by a niche of a niche.

This turned into a party at my friend's house where I only knew my wife, my friend and her husband and didn't really want to meet anyone else. When I got refills of my beverage it was on some sort of hydrophobic pillow that spilled easily.

I had a dream last night that Terry Pratchett said some incredibly sexist things and refused to apologize and it ruined me. It was weird. I don't normally have dreams that are negative in a realistic way. (Not that Pratchett being an unrepentant sexist is realistic, but more that it's something that could possibly happen with someone I admire.)

Hasn't he been through enough for you to not have troubling dreams about him?!

Actually, I hate dreams like that. One time in high school, I dreamed a history teacher I really respect was sitting at his desk with his penis out and rubbing it while nodding at the students in class. Like... that never happened but after that the guy sort of grossed me out. I gross me out.

I had an unusually poignant dream last night...

I was in an old house. I didn’t recognize it, but I knew that it was the house of a childhood friend where I’d spent a lot of time as a kid. There were other people there, and they were acting strangely but I couldn’t quite put my finger on what it was. They were being strangely nice, strangely supportive, and they were giving each other knowing looks as I walked by. I went down to the basement to get some boxes. It was an old basement with low ceilings and cobwebs. The walls were rough stonework and small windows let in just enough sunlight to see. In the center of the room was the foundation of an old chimney. I saw a crude chalk drawing on the chimney and recognized it as my own. It was something I had made as a child. There was unintelligible text and a badly drawn face. Around the drawing were stuck several post-it notes of different sizes and colors. As I went closer I realized that there were also older, half decayed bits of wadded up paper stuck into the stonework. I pulled one out and found that someone had written “fade away slowly” on it in pencil. All of the notes seemed to have vaguely poetic handwritten messages. Not knowing what meaning to take from all this, I took the boxes and went upstairs. As I came upstairs I began to feel a little bit light headed, almost as if I was floating. The lights in the house seemed warmer than usual and my vision seemed fuzzy. Gold flecks danced in my peripheral vision. I noticed that everyone was looking at me and smiling. I started to feel warm and content. Someone next to me looked into my eyes smiling and told me to fade away slowly. The golden flecks became more prominent in my vision and the yellow light started to blur away everything else. I felt like my body was becoming lighter and began to feel numb. It dawned on me that I was dead. I wondered if I had died as a child, shortly after drawing the face on the chimney. The people around me had known that I was a ghost and had waited patiently for me to let myself go. They seemed to know that it was time. I felt comforted and totally peaceful and I was happy to drift off. At this point I drifted in and out of sleep, wondering if I was dying in real life. The morning sun was filling my bedroom with the same warm yellow light in my dream, and I didn’t know if I was awake or still asleep.

At the end of the dream I had a more intense feeling of peacefulness than I think I've ever felt in waking life. It's weird how dreams can do that.

I dreamt that i was at a My Vitriol gig last night. Which is really strange as they haven't released an album in like 14 years and i haven't listened to them for probably 6 years or so. I remember my dream and gave them a little listen today and then found out they've got a new album coming out this year  :blink:  i must be psychic

I dreamt that i was at a My Vitriol gig last night. Which is really strange as they haven't released an album in like 14 years and i haven't listened to them for probably 6 years or so. I remember my dream and gave them a little listen today and then found out they've got a new album coming out this year  :blink:  i must be psychic

Maybe this is all still part of your dream!