Thompson

Dreams!

Last night I dreamt that I discovered a way to get to a secret level in Spelunky. Inside a large cavernous area, there were three golden statues (about 20 feet high) and they were spread out along a wide set of golden stairs that when into the water. There was a statue of a large golden lady, a statue of a large golden man and then a cylindrical column about 2/3 their size that was in the middle. There was a process to activate a switch of some kind. I was to take an item (I think it may have been the ankh) and go under water and expose the item to a sparkly chamber of light (basically a god-ray with dust flying around in it). So I exposed it to either the man or the woman and then to the cylinder. On a pedestal on top of the stairs, a steam-punk looking device appeared. It was like a free-standing oval mirror about 10 inches tall, but it was just the wire frame around the mirror. Attached to the oval frame were armatures that had crecent-shaped concave mirrors on their ends. I figured out that I was supposed to angle the crescent shaped mirrors by adjusting the armature so that when you looked through the oval, the mirrors would let me see a specific spot (one for each eye) Once I did so, it became apparent that. I had to go back under water and expose the item to the statue of the other sex and then to the cylinder. Doing so revealed a second identical oval mirror armature thing. I began to adjust all the crescent concave mirrors to make it so both eyes of both viewers would see the same spot. The dream then turned into a circumstance of infinite adjustment and I eventually woke up.

Nice. I want that to be a real secret room now, that's just unsolvable, and eventually the ghost kills you, sorry, that's life.

So, no longer does anyone call me Stephen in my dreams. That stopped as soon as I recognized it and called it out, as expected. BUT. The other night, I had a series of very vivid LOTS OF THINGS CRAWLING ALL OVER ME episodes. One was mice, one was spiders, one was I think scorpions? I don't remember the contexts at all, except the last one. Weirdly enough, they didn't freak me out. In fact, one of them (the aforementioned "last one"), I'm pretty sure I was half-awake for. It was kind of similar to how people describe sleep paralysis me. I knew I was basically awake, but couldn't move, and also knew that a horde of tiny rodents was crawling all over me and through my clothes. But, unlike how my friends describe being freaked the fuck out, I was pretty calm, like, "huh, neat", because I knew for sure, 100%, that it wasn't real.

Or maybe I wasn't awake and I just dreamed I was awake. Who knows! I did immediately go back to sleep.

I had a series of amazingly over-the-top dreams last night. I remember very little from them.

1) I was a private eye type of guy, in a very noir-ish setting. One of the people I was investigating had a daughter who was really unhappy so I... paid for something for her, because I wanted her to be happy? I don't recall exactly. It might have been dance lessons or something like that. There was also singing involved, and a dead-beat dad, whom I was trying to convince to be a better person, and the mother didn't believe my intentions were pure (which I guess is sort of true, because I was hired to watch her).

2) I was in an action movie sort of situation, with a team of soldier-types about to invade my apartment on the top floor of a very tall building, so I had to escape by... driving a car off the roof of said building INTO another building. Very Saint's Row-esque.

3) WARNING: MOST DISTURBING: I was talking to a friend about Big Dog, and we both wondered why no one had made a tap-dancing version of Big Dog (what). As we were watching a video of Big Dog and discussing this further, the Big Dog BROKE APART INTO TWO DIFFERENT ROBOTS and they DID A TAP-DANCING ROUTINE TOGETHER.

Last night I dreamed that I was in a supermarket with my mom, and we were doing some shopping, when we got to one section that was just a bunch of tables set up with people sitting around talking. As we were walking past I remembered that I had a job interview at one of the tables RIGHT NOW. So I went over, sat down and started talking. Answered a few of the standard interview questions like "Tell me a bit about yourself", things like that, nothing specific to the job yet. Then my cell phone starts to ring.

I apologize, and I stand up, walk a little bit away and answer my phone. It's someone from the company I thought I was having an interview with, and I was told that I wasn't selected for an interview and that the position had been filled. So I look back at the person interviewing me and realize they are with a different company interviewing me for a completely different job.

I hang up, sit back down, and then the interviewer says, "Alright then, on to the technical questions. How much inputting and outputting do you do?"

I think for a second and realize I have no idea how to answer that, so I just grin and say, "Not as much as I used to! Hahahaha...."

The interviewer just looked at me very straight faced and replied, "Well, I need a number."

So I shrugged and said 5.

And then the fire alarm in my apartment woke me up.

I dreamt I was on American Pickers and we found my grandfathers Korean War scrapbook in an attic. There was a noise out on the street. Of course it was an alien invasion. We fought well across town using large weapons that are apparently part of the American Pickers setup, but the aliens killed us at the quarry.

I had a dream where Chris, Jake and Patrick Klepek had their own show on Giant Bomb where they played games with notable game developers. They had over 16000 viewers at the time. Jake shared a story about how he was working on a game for Lady Gaga and that she gave a lot of design feedback.

For me, the interesting part is that you know how many viewers they had. I never notice that information in waking-life, and so even if I had the same dream, I don't think I'd notice that.

I dreamed that I went parachuting with Jeff Gerstmann, Vinny Caravella, Dave Snider and Jeff Green. But we didn't jump out of a plane it was just a small, roadside cliff. We landed in a forest that was full of wolves. That's when the dream ended.

I had a hypnagogic hallucination last night where my twitter-feed super-imposed its logic and meaning with the logic and meaning of ICE from Netrunner. Each update was a piece of ICE. I suppose each person was a server.

I had a dream last night that I was back in college and it was the day before finals.  Naturally, I hadn't studied so I was frantically trying to do so.  Except my roommate was Chris Remo who kept distracting me by trying to get me to play sweet video games with him.  Eventually I gave in and just as I sat down to play I woke up.

I dreamt I was a lady and I took mushrooms and posted nude photos of myself on the internet. Now I don't know what to think.

I dreamt that Phil Fish, now going under the name Phil Friend, was doing hardware reviews of custom gaming handhelds. This time in particular the 360DS; a 360 in the form of a DS. A lot of very strange things in that dream. Phil Friend's Hardware Reviews being one of them.

I dreamt that I got hired as an intern at 3D Realms by George Broussard himself but he didn't look like he does in real life. He was tall, slim and had glasses. The 3D realms office was not an office building but a huge 3-floot frat house. The first room you entered as you got in the house was a tiny laundry room and in there was Broussard and a programmer who was microwaving his lunch. I was asigned to sit behind a programmer and watch him work but instead of him having just a desk he had a whole room to himself. As i entered the room he was eating cereal and watching Nickelodeon. There where no chairs so I had to sit on his gross futon. No wonder it took them so long to finish DNF.

Phil Friend is now my favorite name.

I had a dream that I was playing a custom Dota 2 map that I made with the tools they're releasing in the future. It was a very specific mod that combined Payday 2 goals and mechanics with Dota 2 gameplay. It's especially weird because almost every time I dream about video games, I'm IN the video game. But in this dream, I was living in a college dorm hall again, and me and everyone else on the floor were playing my sweet rad custom Dota 2 map.

Last night I dreamt that I was going to a movie with a woman my mom's age. When I stole a couple of apples by shaking an apple-tree in someone's yard on the walk to the theatre and gave her one, I realized that she thought it was a date ( not the fruit, but a romantic engagement). This is on a dirt road and we come to a crossing. At the crossing (I shit you not, I really dreamt this last night), fuckin Nick Breckon comes up to us and is like "So what time is the movie?" This makes since because I had invited nick to the movie. The woman I'm with (who by the way is a frequent customer where I work, but I don't know her name or nothin) shows her disappointment on her face that it isn't a date because Nick Breckon is going with us so Nick plays it cool and says that he can't go. Somehow this leads to us going to the house from which I stole the apples and it's Nick's house and we are having a party. It's not like a "Party!" though, it's just a bunch of people hanging out. Me, Nick and another guy go out a different door than we came in from and we are now ( filming?) a movie. A guy who looks like a younger version of Frank Costanza is playing Nick's dad and he is building a house. There is saw dust on the screen of the screened patio and to clean it off, he lights a match. The saw dust burns off like lint on a sweater. Then he decides to clean the oil off the metal roof by dropping a match in a gutter and there is this anticipatory pause as if it's a bad comedy before he drops the match and it sets the entire house on fire.

We go back inside the house and it's time to go home and I'm like " I'll help you clean up" and Nick (who is sleepy-drunk) is like. "No, don't worry about it, I got it guys." and I insist, but then he reminds me that Ihave to give three people a ride home and they don't want to wait for me.

I had a dream where I had to help Gordon Ramsay redecorate his private restaurant. I have no idea what could have prompted this.

Last night I dreamt that Video Games Rodkin (who in this dream is a separate person from Jake but they're identical in every way) snuck into my room and messed with my alarm clock.  Instead of showing the time, it was displaying Twitter hashtags.  The alarm sound itself had been replaced with the sound of Chris laughing.  Then an episode of Idle Thumbs was recorded in my bathroom because it had good acoustics.  Chris, Jake, Sean, Steve, and Video Games Rodkin discussed a game called Gone Home.  Except it wasn't the actual Gone Home, but some parallel universe version that somehow involved flying monkeys, FPS gameplay, and Nick Breckon as the silent Gordon Freeman-esque player character.

I dreamt last night that I went to Valve's HQ and pitched a story idea for Half-Life 3.  They really liked it and were talking about hiring me.  Then in the parking lot afterwards I met Kari, Tory, and Grant from Mythbusters who were parked next to me.  We started talking about doing a video game related episode of Mythbusters when my alarm clock went off and I woke up.  I don't remember what the story idea for HL3 was (I think at some point the Master Chief from Halo showed up) but I do remember that the office in my dream didn't actually look like the Valve offices.  It didn't concern me in the dream but in retrospect, I think may have been scammed.

Does anyone else have vivid food dreams? I dreamt I was trying to buy some really nice looking rocky road but my only means of payment was an A4-sized slab of glass with the words "credit card" printed across the front. The cashier wouldn't accept it because it was "out of date" and proceeded to get really verbally abusive over it. One of my hated childhood acquaintances was also there acting characteristically smug, just to rub salt in the wound.

I woke up with an intense craving for rocky road. I've never craved rocky road before in my fucking life.

Last night I dreamt that I was inside a Metroid game.  It was similar to Metroid Fusion, but the thing that made it weird was that even though I was in the game, my perspective was still the 2D side view.  I could feel and hear everything in the environment as though I were there, but it was like my eyes had been detached and I was looking at myself from the side.  I also remember really needing the ice missiles at one point but not having them which caused me to panic.

I actually did have a dream about food last night! Wasn't very vivid though. And I only remember one thing.

I poured myself a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch but had no milk and so didn't eat the cereal. ):

I had a dream that I was back in high school and everything sucked, but my brain somehow conflated one of my school bullies and Jay Z into the same person.

I had yet another dream involving the Thumbs.  The frequency that these are occurring is starting to become creepy.  I think my subconscious has a crush on the Thumbs or something.

Anyway, I dreamt that Sean and Jake were at my house and we were having a grade school like sleepover.  We stayed up all night playing Nintendo 64 games that didn't exist.  When morning came, it was revealed that Jake was actually a secret agent.  He pulled out a smartphone, summoned his spy car, hopped in, and drove off on some mission.  Sean was in the bathroom while this happened and when he came out (now looking like Tom Cruise for some reason) he produced a gun from nowhere and vowed to get Jake.  He then climbed up to the roof of the house and grabbed the bottom of a rope ladder that was being suspended from a helicopter that conveniently appeared.  As he took off after Jake, I simply shrugged my shoulders as though this were an everyday event and decided to go swimming in the pool.  Then I woke up.