Sleepdance

Good Old GOG

OK, how about some early 90's games? Those were at least cheesy fun!

better ;)

But yes, there are a bunch from that era which I don't have but want, but also mid 90's.

I rarely bought from them, but I mourn that there may not be space for them anymore. I liked the idea that a company like GOG could exist.

They posted an update today:

First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to [email protected] if you're a media representative or to [email protected] if you're a user without a GOG account.

So, seems like not a marketing stunt, but still not handled particularly well.

I rarely bought from them, but I mourn that there may not be space for them anymore. I liked the idea that a company like GOG could exist.

Ditto.

Not that we actually know anything about what "business and technical reasons" means, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were related to license rights with publishers. Making some money on games that wasn't making them anything at all seems like a win-win, but considering the usual publisher attitudes and responses to piracy, they've shown themselves to be incredibly short sighted.

Business and technical reasons? So, it's not financial reasons.

Their office and data center were raided by the MAFIAA?

This thread title made me pointlessly realize that probably all acronyms that are palindromes can be interpreted recursively.

Or even if they are not palindromes, but just end with the same letter they begin with.

Like the Friendly Idle Thumbs Interactive Fiction? or FITIF

Yes, also known as Friendly Idle Thumbs Interactive FITIF

Yes, also known as Friendly Idle Thumbs Interactive FITIF

that's some Awesome Palindrome APA

So, seems like not a marketing stunt, but still not handled particularly well.
No I'd say that's disaster recovery. I'm still convinced they thought it would be a cool way to generate buzz about their new launch. Get 2 or 3 extra blog posts about it on joystiq kotaku destructoid et all.

Yeah fuck these guys, they're clearly just doing this as part of their launch out of "beta".

So... it's more or less official that they are doing this as a PR stunt to say they are going out of beta?

Great, now we'll all have to wear our GOGgles every time a website shuts down.

What inherent respect I had for these people will be obliterated if this is a PR stunt. Instead of being a site I never visited because I wasn't interested in buying what they sell it will be a site I actively avoid.

While this isn't going to stop be from buying games from them (they do have a really excellent selection), I'm not exactly thrilled with this.

Well, it's pretty obvious they're of the mindset that this was funny. I share that mindest. Unfortunately, humor is entirely subjective, and people's lines are arbitrarily drawn all over the goddamn place for all kinds of different topics. Clearly, their line on this particular subject is too far for the majority of people (going by various forum posts I've perused), but it is what it is, and there's no changing it now.

In the end, they're still here, and thus I am happy.

It's more or less a wake-up call to all who rely on digital download services to maintain their games collection. It's like an insurance salesman telling you "your house's burned down... Just kidding! but don't you wish you had fire insurance now?"

It's more or less a wake-up call to all who rely on digital download services to maintain their games collection. It's like an insurance salesman telling you "your house's burned down... Just kidding! but don't you wish you had fire insurance now?"

Maybe, but I would like to think people are smart enough to realize it's a risk without the assistance of a prank. I have known since day one that there was the possibility of some crazy whacked-out situation like this happening for real, and I still love DD!

it's a fairly stupid thing to do and i would certainly prefer they just gave me a real reason why they were shutting down for a few days but if this is what they had to do so i can buy a fifth copy of baldur's gate then so be it.

and i demand you all be buy baldur's gate too. i'm watching you.

it's a fairly stupid thing to do and i would certainly prefer they just gave me a real reason why they were shutting down for a few days but if this is what they had to do so i can buy a fifth copy of baldur's gate then so be it.

and i demand you all be buy baldur's gate too. i'm watching you.

Hold it. They actually got the license for BG?

(I am moderately amused by the monk bit, I admit.)

Edit: Just watched Chapter 3.

I am the thrilled. If they've got the license for 1, I'm sure they have it for 2.

:worship:

Now to go occupy my time until. . .9 and a half hours from now.

Edited by Orvidos