Sleepdance

Good Old GOG

I just registered with GOG to purchase Planescape: Torment and it looks like they've giving away free copies of Beneath a Steel Sky, Teen Agent and Lure of the Temptress.

Those three have been free all the time. Though when I tried out Beneath a Steel Sky from GoG it seemed not to perform as well as when you would load the game with the ScummVM program yourself. Or maybe I just don't remember the hot keys to smooth the graphics. This one uses the ScummVM exe to run it, even the icon in Windows is ScummVM's icon.

I just hate this bullshit worked on some people.

That sounds like the "You're all sheeple" mentality.

Which can bite my furry woolen ass.

Look, they tried a publicity stunt. While some people (including myself) were not overly thrilled with it, it did, in fact, garner them an immense amount of publicity. As well as new users, in at least the couple thousand range, I would imagine, based on the forums activity lately.

They released some good games (some very, very good games that kick my nostalgia into full gear) so we're slightly less pissed at them. Despite our comments earlier, I don't think anyone (I could be entirely wrong here, and probably am) is fully over the "GOG did a stupid thing" phase.

That said, "I'm so angry you guys enjoy them continuing to provide quality products" makes me want to punch you.

/inflammatorypost

I basically agree.

Yeah, some dubious PR decisions were made. It's dumb, boo, arrghh.

However, GOG still offers a ton of games in the same price range they always have, with the same benefits those games have always had, and they're still adding more. It seems completely pointless to hold a grudge.

Yup, as I said earlier, GoG did a stupid thing. A really stupid thing, honestly. Am I still angry? Sure! Is it going to stop me from supporting them when everything they've done besides a boneheaded marketing ploy is exactly what I want from a digital distributor? Fuck no!

Note to the guys who run Gog.com. Read Joshua Porter's writings on how to talk to your users, and don't do it again. (Also, you may still insist that anyone who didn't "get it" should loosen up... but there's a reason why you guys are running a download website and not writing sitcom scripts for a living. Capiche?)

Also, good job on getting Planescape: Torment. *grumble grumble*

Don't forget my Planescape: Torment Ultimate Mod Guide, folks!

They released some good games (some very, very good games that kick my nostalgia into full gear) so we're slightly less pissed at them. Despite our comments earlier, I don't think anyone (I could be entirely wrong here, and probably am) is fully over the "GOG did a stupid thing" phase.

I think it was a stupid thing to do, but only because I know that the majority of the world does not share my sense of humor. And by that I mean I found the whole thing hilarious.

I'm not sure where I fit in. U:

But regardless of what stupid things GOG has done, the games are still great, and I'll never understand why people would be so pissed off about it that they would completely give up the opportunity to play these awesome games! Unless, of course, they have no interest in said games.

That sounds like the "You're all sheeple" mentality.

Which can bite my furry woolen ass.

Look, they tried a publicity stunt. While some people (including myself) were not overly thrilled with it, it did, in fact, garner them an immense amount of publicity. As well as new users, in at least the couple thousand range, I would imagine, based on the forums activity lately.

That said, "I'm so angry you guys enjoy them continuing to provide quality products" makes me want to punch you.

/inflammatorypost

It's more of a battered wife slam, than a sheeple dig. Seriously, they did this so they could tripple the blog posts about their launch event. They could have let the launch stand on it's own merits, but apparently they didn't think highly enough of their customers or product to think that would work.

IMO when you buy from a digital distribution service, you're investing in a service that will keep your purchase available as much as you're purchasing software. Any company so clueless to think was a good idea, doesn't seem stable enough to earn my trust. They'd have to offer something pretty great to offset the lack of confidence.

Any company so clueless to think was a good idea, doesn't seem stable enough to earn my trust. .

Well. . .one of the founders is French.

I don't have this service, nor will I ever, but I own a lot of the great games they offer from the 90s. What they do is great for people who missed out.

So some PR stunt makes people this butthurt and refuse to have the services? I don't even think you're signed up to GoG anyway, are you Forbin?

I'm sure the people that appreciate GoG will continue to be back for the most part. This isn't to say that the stunt way dumb, but how many people are offering what they are offering? Beyond buying the games on Ebay yourself and getting them to run painstakingly, there's not any major service I can think of that allows you to play the same great games. Also don't say Steam.

Long story short: fully behind Miffy's opinion.

Apparently they just yesterday unveiled Icewind Dale + the expansion pack as the latest addition to their catalogue.

Hooooly shit... I actually liked Icewind Dale more than BG1 at the time. I might have to buy this when I get some free time.

Apparently they just yesterday unveiled Icewind Dale + the expansion pack as the latest addition to their catalogue.

All that remains are BG2 and IWD2 + Relevant expansions.

And Temple of Elemental Evil, though I think they only have two releases left from this initial Hasbro debut, so probably not.

I basically agree.

Yeah, some dubious PR decisions were made. It's dumb, boo, arrghh.

However, GOG still offers a ton of games in the same price range they always have, with the same benefits those games have always had, and they're still adding more. It seems completely pointless to hold a grudge.

Amen, brother. Is there any game company that hasn't made a bad PR move at least once? Besides...I've been wanting to play Planescape: Torment for ages and have a lot of respect for the company that finally made that possible.

Amen, brother. Is there any game company that hasn't made a bad PR move at least once? Besides...I've been wanting to play Planescape: Torment for ages and have a lot of respect for the company that finally made that possible.

Actually, now I'm curious... HAS there been a game company that hasn't done a bad PR stunt? :erm:

Actually, now I'm curious... HAS there been a game company that hasn't done a bad PR stunt? :erm:

Uhm. Well. . . Maybe, uh. . .

Erm. . . I think they might have. . .no. If they. . .nope.

Oh, right.

Dunkin Donuts.

That's about it.

I dunno, the whole lead up to the release Dunkin' Duncan's Cruller Challenge was a bit of a debacle.

Nothing compared the mess of its sequel... You can't top the attempted assassination of the Pope and the sales of arms to Iraq for worse PR. Whatever were they thinking?

I don't have this service, nor will I ever, but I own a lot of the great games they offer from the 90s. What they do is great for people who missed out.

So some PR stunt makes people this butthurt and refuse to have the services? I don't even think you're signed up to GoG anyway, are you Forbin?

I'm sure the people that appreciate GoG will continue to be back for the most part. This isn't to say that the stunt way dumb, but how many people are offering what they are offering? Beyond buying the games on Ebay yourself and getting them to run painstakingly, there's not any major service I can think of that allows you to play the same great games. Also don't say Steam.

Long story short: fully behind Miffy's opinion.

If the service is so great, why will you "never" be their customer. All I said is they'd have to offer something incredible to get my business, because as a digital distribution service they're lacking a core component.

As cheap as it is, 15 bucks for a 15 year old game isn't worth it for me if it's just the game I'm buying. If I'm buying the ability to play that game whenever I want, and re-install it without worry then it is. Especially with old games, the archival value is important.

As cheap as it is, 15 bucks for a 15 year old game isn't worth it for me if it's just the game I'm buying.

*Cough*

Unless you're paying in ruples or pesos or something devalued, they only charge 5/10 dollars, max.

*Cough*

Also you can play them whenever you want and reinstall them without worry. And you get soundtracks and such.

If the service is so great, why will you "never" be their customer. All I said is they'd have to offer something incredible to get my business, because as a digital distribution service they're lacking a core component.

As cheap as it is, 15 bucks for a 15 year old game isn't worth it for me if it's just the game I'm buying. If I'm buying the ability to play that game whenever I want, and re-install it without worry then it is. Especially with old games, the archival value is important.

I agree, but for someone like me who never played Icewind Dale first time round but would like to try it, the service is great. I haven't bought a boxed PC game in a LONG time, and I'm not going to start a collection now. Still, it's nice to see fair criticism of the site that isn't just complaining about their PR move (which was a bloody joke anyway).

'Cause I have the games I'm interested in already and I prefer boxed copies when available of anything when available. I think it's great they are being provided for those that missed them, some obscure some not. A lot of people were only console gamers for the 90s and it's nice that they can play many games that were critically acclaimed at the time for lack of having a PC during that era. This is not me, I'm not really a target for their business.

I've had friends I've offered to let them borrow some old PC game or other, but no one really wants to fuck around with DOSBox or compatibility modes in general, especially those who didn't ever mess with DOS or Windows before the year 2000. You don't have to mess with that stuff through GOG.

I dunno, the whole lead up to the release Dunkin' Duncan's Cruller Challenge was a bit of a debacle.

I think there was also a load of bullshit involving Rachael Ray and a scarf years ago.

Sweet zombie jesuses. Neverwinter Nights 1. My second favorite (and first favorite online) RPG.

Day One Perch, right there.

(Also, holy shit, the server I used to play on still exists. Wtf.)