monkeyarmada

Mice for gamers.

I'm warming to the idea that a better spec mouse is going to elevate my FPS skills to that of a school kid on their summer holidays. I currently use a no-name piece of crap that has the slackest scroll wheel known to man, I routinely end up chucking a med pack at my assailant in Battlefield: BC2 instead of the intended hail of bullets.:tdown:

Have any of you folks had any experience with so called 'gaming' mice? Any recommendations would be fantastic to hear as this is a new area of gaming for me.

S.

Hell yeah the mouse makes a big difference in FPS games and every other game that uses the mouse.

I'm left handed when it comes to using the mouse, so I have a very limited amount of options... I usually stick to the Razer brand, my last one was a Copperhead and now I'm using a Salmosa, which is perfect for people who use the fingertips to grab the mouse.

I'd tell you to consider:

-right/left hand

-hand/fingertips grip

-extra buttons/simplicity

-price range

I've also been using a DeathAdder for the past few months, and it's pretty good. It is somewhat large, though. Prior to that I was using a Razer Copperhead, which is also really nice. A bit smaller, and ambidextrous, if that matters at all to you.

I am not a good FPS player, but the Microsoft IntelliMouse line are the best mice I've ever used.

Intellimouse_main.jpg

This is what I'm using now. It fits my hand perfectly, and has the perfect weight.

But of course, you can't go wrong with The Idle Thumbs Podcast's favourite mouse:

O3P1qAtjR48

I've been using a Razer Deathadder for the past 3 years and it's pretty good. Would be nice if it had a more easily accessible DPI switch and the mouse wheel isn't that great either, but as far as ergonomics (Which is the most important thing in a mouse for me) and performance go it's top notch.

My sister has a Logitech G5 and it's great as well. Its got a better mouse wheel and two easily accessible DPI buttons, but I prefer the shape and texture of the Deathadder myself.

I have been using a Razer Deathadder for years now, I'd recommend it if you are right handed. A mouse makes a big difference.

Agreed 100%. The new Imperator is basically a Death Adder +1, but if the price difference is too much to stomach, go for the Death Adder. Also, a good mousepad can be more useful than a mouse for accuracy and quickness. I'm currently using the Razer Destructor Mat with the Death Adder for FPS and the Naga for RTS/MMOs.

But of course, you can't go wrong with The Idle Thumbs Podcast's favourite mouse:

O3P1qAtjR48

I am such a sucker for the gimmicks, this pushes my obnoxious geek button so hard but I just know I'd regret it the moment the novelty wore off.

It's only thirty quid at overclockers.co.uk But the Deathadder and Copperhead are the Forty quid mark.

Hmm, decisions decisions:hmph:

S.

This is my mouse configuration...

mouseinwood.th.jpg

This way I can play L4D2 and have both hands free to type abuse....:getmecoat

I second the Microsoft vote. I have used the various models of the Microsoft laser series for yonks, and have always found them to be comfortable etc. I would say though that workmanship can vary with them. I have had a couple that have not lasted very long at all (less than 8 months for one) despite the usage being the same as others that have lasted for ages.

Andy

Edited by Armchair General

I have a Logitech MX518. I like it very much, but it's the first non-shit mouse I've ever owned, so I couldn't compare it with any of the other doubtlessly very fine mice mentioned in this thread.

I consider myself a proficient FPS gamer, and I've never bought an expensive mouse. My previous mices have been Logitech Pilot, initially with a ball, and after that optical. Right now I use the Dell optical mouse that came with my XPS desktop.

I couldn't go back to a corded mouse now. The cords were always getting stuck on something or just kind of interfering. I enjoyed using a Logitech MX1000 I got back when they were first introduced, but it developed a fault a few years later.

I still have an old MX510. Still fine for me. I personally wouldn't bother with anything above 50 bucks. If it's more than that, then someone is yanking your balls.

Also remember, mice are a very personal thing. What works well for me might be crap for you. Go to a store to feel some mice out before taking the plunge.

Yes. Feel them. Grasp them, squeezing gently, but not too hard. Roll them around in the palm of your hand as you check for a response. Run your fingertips over the smooth area as you pull it back. Gently roll it around and around. Feel it.

:getmecoat

I used them MX518 for years and loved it, but it sorta fell by the wayside simply due to wear and tear. I'm now using a G9, which is another excellent Logitech mouse.

Might want to hold your finger from the trigger if you're wary of price, though, as Amazon tends to put sales on the mice in concert with Logitech rebate promos. I've seen G9's go as low as $40 and G500's go for $30, so it might be worth waiting on.

seconding the MX 510.

The crappy default mouse i've used for many years died recently and I decided to get a halfway fancy gaming mouse. A bunch of people recommended the MX 510 or one of its cousins, so I got one and I'm very happy with it. They're old, so you can get em pretty cheap now too.

Although, to be fair, it looks ugly as sin.

seconding the MX 510.

The crappy default mouse i've used for many years died recently and I decided to get a halfway fancy gaming mouse. A bunch of people recommended the MX 510 or one of its cousins, so I got one and I'm very happy with it. They're old, so you can get em pretty cheap now too.

Although, to be fair, it looks ugly as sin.

I think the most recent iteration, which is the G500 I mentioned (I believe), is a bit more stylish.

I couldn't go back to a corded mouse now. The cords were always getting stuck on something or just kind of interfering. I enjoyed using a Logitech MX1000 I got back when they were first introduced, but it developed a fault a few years later.

I still use an MX1000 myself. I've had it for 5 years and it still works great. Of course, with my laptop I just use the crappy mouse that came bundled with it, but it got me through 50 hours of both Mass Effects last month, so it's doing ok.

I've had Logitech LX8 cordless laser mouse for a few years now and I've been pretty happy with it.

I will not go back to corded mouses anymore, I love the cordless freedom. I would get also a cordless keyboard, but unfortunately nobody really makes good basic cordless keyboards without the "helpful" quick access keys.

Logitech has couple, but those are a bit bad looking and feeling.

Logitech really do make extremely good mice. I currently use a Microsoft SideWinder due to Logitech not doing a comparable wireless mouse at time of purchase, and while it's pretty good it just doesn't have that same quality feel as all my Logitech mice. Things flex a little where they shouldn't and it just generally doesn't feel like it'd survive a good hit.

There's definitely something about Logitech's materials and production process, which I guess is why they've pretty much been using the same shape as their primary gaming model since I got an MX510 years ago (latest iteration is the G500 I think).

My favourite part about the G5 (v2) and G9 I currently own is the materials used for the top. It's made of some weird material that seems to never get sweaty or even warm, no matter how much you grip it. It feels a bit like matte paint when rubbed.