monkeyarmada

Mice for gamers.

I never had any issues with the cords of corded mice. I have had issues with empty batteries.

A thing that bugs the shit out of me these days is that it's almost impossible to find a proper keyboard that still has a normal layout. And with that I mean the 2x3 rows of insert/home/pgup-delete/end/pgdn and below that the normal cursor keys in rows of 1 and 3.

ps, at work I bought a Logitech M500, and I like it a lot. If I would ever buy a new mouse at home I would probably buy that one.

I am such a sucker for the gimmicks, this pushes my obnoxious geek button so hard but I just know I'd regret it the moment the novelty wore off.

It's only thirty quid at overclockers.co.uk But the Deathadder and Copperhead are the Forty quid mark.

Hmm, decisions decisions:hmph:

S.

I'd probably stick to either Razer or Logitech. I reckon the Cyborg would be a competent mouse. The reputation of Razer and Logitech far surpasses Saitek's. Which games other than BF are you looking to play? The mouse market is fairly saturated at the moment, with a similar occurence to the compact camera market (quoting megapixels above all else, despite the image quality being the same on a 6mp to a 10mp). Anything above 1800dpi would be enough, only professional gamers can tell the difference, a 1000Hz or greater sensor is probably the best bet. As for buttons, I find 5 is enough, though more may be useful.

I personally am a big fan of Razer, with my current setup including a 1800dpi Deathadder, a Goliathus mouse mat and a Lycosa keyboard. I will buy an Onza (360 controller) when it is released.

lol... reading those specs is just funny.

I'd say anything over 150 DPI and 100Hz is becoming plain weird. No human has that precise and fast control over their hand. Not even speaking about sub-pixel movement it would result to.

It's just MonsterCable like non-sense. Gold plated USB connector... come on, that's just bullshit.

But a braided fiber cable is a plus over the standard semi-hard plastic cables.

I have to say, this whole DPI thing has really gone over my head too. I've always ran on my Logitechs on their default 600 dpi or whatever because anything higher is just too sensitive for me, yet I've never had a problem genuinely kicking ass in just about any game I've played.

Anything over like 1000 dpi seems way overkill. My SideWinder goes up to 4000 dpi or something mental and it's like one centimetre flick takes me across my whole 1080p screen.

I really like the shape of Logitech mice as well. I used to have MX518 but I broke it some time ago and replaced it with MX620. I guess that one is not for the hardcore gamerz, though, as it is wireless and uses laser and whatever.

But of course, you can't go wrong with The Idle Thumbs Podcast's favourite mouse:

O3P1qAtjR48

Ahh, the fabled Saitek Cyborg mouse. For all I know, it doesn't even exist.

;(

The awesome thing about Logitech mice is that they cover them in a rubber coating that, when in contact with human skin, starts to dissolve and peel off.

I use a plain jane corded logitech at home and I just swiped one that looks exactly the same from a guy who quit at work. Its a blue one with a fourth button between the left and right buttons slightly back towards the hand.

The reason I mention it is because I thought it was identical to the one I already have, but apparently this is the :buyme:Click!:buyme: version of the mouse, and it has a very rigid snap to the scroll wheel. Personally, I hate it for zooming in and out of my drawings, but I could see how it might prevent me from whipping out a wrench when I meant to switch to my pistol.

Its a light and ergonomic mouse for not a lot of money. I don't know anything about resolution or what have you, to me that stuff is like gold plated speaker wires.

The awesome thing about Logitech mice is that they cover them in a rubber coating that, when in contact with human skin, starts to dissolve and peel off.

Haha! So true. I have one of their first wireless mice that has that stuff. I think they use some sort of plastic now, which doesn't really do that.

I think the most recent iteration, which is the G500 I mentioned (I believe), is a bit more stylish.

Definitely. It has got some red LEDs in it, which true PC gamerz know makes it more better for Video Games. Big shout out to my man Fatal1ty, if you don't know now you know son.

No human has that precise and fast control over their hand.

"Detective, does that mean he's a... a... Vampire?"

DUN DUN DUURRRRR

"We have to get to the LAN Party!"

Nooooooooooo!

I really don't know what you guys are talking about. I typically use my mouse at the 2400 dpi setting and it doesn't move so fast that my human brain can't comprehend it.

Unless, of course, I'm an unactivated sleeper cell Cylon and should really crank up my mouse to it's maximum 3200 dpi for truly optimal gaming.

lol... reading those specs is just funny.

I'd say anything over 150 DPI and 100Hz is becoming plain weird. No human has that precise and fast control over their hand. Not even speaking about sub-pixel movement it would result to.

It's just MonsterCable like non-sense. Gold plated USB connector... come on, that's just bullshit.

But a braided fiber cable is a plus over the standard semi-hard plastic cables.

Actually they do, look at snipers, jugglers, contortionists. All of these require millimetre precision, otherwise fatality can occur. With a higher dpi mouse you can lower the sensitivity, to get a far cleaner movement, opposed to a standard mouse.

I would compare using a gaming mouse to looking at a landscape opposed to a ever so slightly blurry photo. It's the same experience, but not. I have to use normal optical mice often in university, it's a pain being used to an incredible piece of kit.

Yes. Feel them. Grasp them, squeezing gently, but not too hard. Roll them around in the palm of your hand as you check for a response. Run your fingertips over the smooth area as you pull it back. Gently roll it around and around. Feel it.

:getmecoat

Do you write fanfic erotica? That's pretty steamy!

S.

I can attest to the various mentions of Razer being quality with regards to a gaming mouse, I've been using a Lachesis for about a year now and I know a lot of PC gamers that swear by this or that iteration of their lineup. They seem to have a model that fits just about everyone's needs at this point. I've heard some less enthusiastic stuff about Razer's other, non-mouse products though...

Had to chime in regarding Logitech- They seem to be really hit and miss these days with regards to longevity. I used to have an old MX500 gaming mouse that survived for years with no problems, but prior to getting my current mouse the Logitech MXRevolution died twice on me in six months. Some other Logitech peripherals at work and belonging to friends and coworkers have been breaking down surprisingly quickly too. Logitech is always really good about replacing these things when they die, mind you... But the survivability seems to be getting lower. Logitech mice have always performed well for me functionality-wise, they just break more easily than Razer mice.

I don't use any mousepad. I've never had any kind of problems with my wooden desk and Logitech laser mouse.

Yeah, the issue is definitely not with sensing movement so much as keeping the LRF support intact.

(Leetle teflon feets daaaaw)

Im okay at FPS but i think a good mouse is important. I dont like and have never liked Razer mice, the feel very cheap and light and are usually more expensive than competing brands.

The Saitek Cyborg mouse that moves is terrible, hate it so bad. The gimmick of it changing sizes is pointless, if a mouse is well engineered it should feel good already you dont need some poor adjustments for it to work.

I personally love the Logitech G5, its a little expensive but feels great and has great extra buttons. It only has 2 extras buttons but they are very easy to use and two is usually enough for most games.

Unrelated, but as far as keyboards go:

I have a G15 and i like the LED backlight and keys but the screen is pointless and spending $70+ on a keyboard was so dumb. Get a cheap Saitek with a backlight and youll be happy.

I bought one of those WolfKing Pads from Woot a while ago, so terrible. The key position is so foreign i was constantly hitting the wrong keys because of my muscle memory. If you have never played PC gamers before they might work for you though.

I think I've seen the mouse that beats the Cyborg hands down.

dl0SG4k0YOo

Just bought a Deathadder so if it's crap I'll blame all of you who recommended it.

S.

I'm using and enjoying a Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse, but I've never been a discerning enough mouse user to know how it stacks up to other high-quality mouseses.

I'm using logitech's mx518 that lets you switch DPI on the fly (like many other gaming mice), but i find it confusing and cumbersome to use. I only ever tried using it in couple FPSs, and it only seem to add an extra layer of complication, like manual transmission in racing games which I don't like.

And this thing has a thin layer of plastic coating that started peeling off at spots, and it's friggin disgusting. It looks like it's got some skin disease or something.

Haha.

Later revisions starting with the G5 changed that weird texture to hardened plastic stuff, which grips better and doesn't get slippy/sweaty.

The later versions look about the same but they do make them a bit better. :tup:

I'm using logitech's mx518 that lets you switch DPI on the fly (like many other gaming mice), but i find it confusing and cumbersome to use. I only ever tried using it in couple FPSs, and it only seem to add an extra layer of complication, like manual transmission in racing games which I don't like.

And this thing has a thin layer of plastic coating that started peeling off at spots, and it's friggin disgusting. It looks like it's got some skin disease or something.

Yup, that soft, stretchy coating was clearly a mistake. I can see why they thought it was a good idea because it does initially feel good on the hand, but after a couple months it turns to shit.

I think that the DPI settings aren't really that confusing, especially in Logitech's newer mice. For me, I only regularly use two settings, 1600 dpi and 2400 dpi, the former for regular computer use and the latter for gaming. And furthermore, I don't see how it can be confusing since it almost always takes one button press to change DPI on the fly.

I never had any issues with the cords of corded mice. I have had issues with empty batteries.

A thing that bugs the shit out of me these days is that it's almost impossible to find a proper keyboard that still has a normal layout. And with that I mean the 2x3 rows of insert/home/pgup-delete/end/pgdn and below that the normal cursor keys in rows of 1 and 3.

I agree with all of that. While I enjoy my vaguely swish mouse, I personally don't really see the point in fancy gaming keyboards -- standard keyboards have more than enough keys; crucially, far more than I can easily reach with one hand, so adding to that seems redundant. I guess things could be arranged a little more efficiently, but you can always shift your WASD over to the right if you want more keys to the left, which Wikipedia tells me some people do. Since keyboards stopped throwing a beepy fit when confronted with more than two key-presses at a time, I can't think of anything important missing from the bog standard models. Other than standard layout. I can't stand how every manufacturer seems to think they know better and that what I really need is for my backslash key to be on the outside of my right shift key. After getting fed up with my pointlessly wireless keyboards running out of batteries, I went out and bought a no-frills £4 keyboard, and it served me far better. Actually, I tell a lie: it had three extra buttons for launching browsers and e-mail and something else, but they were tucked neatly between the arrow keys and the block above it. I never used them, but they didn't take any extra space and they didn't get in the way. When, a couple of years later, I spilled water all over it and killed it, I went to the exact same shop and bought the exact same £4 keyboard, only this time they'd changed the logo and added that shiny circular recess that Windows keys seem to have these days. It was the last one and the box was slightly torn, which made it seem even more dodgy and cheap, to my amusement. But it does the job. Four pounds probably isn't even especially cheap for what I got, but it's better than paying ten times that for irrelevant crap. This story is rubbish. The point is that I'm fine with cheap keyboards.

I've never really seen the value in spending big bucks on keyboard/mouse. I play with a basic microsoft keyboard that cost me like 15 bucks and a 20 dollar mouse. I'm generally pretty good at fps and it really doesn't bother me. The only thing I could really say is that it can be nice to have a couple extra buttons on the mouse.

Also, I want to "clench my weapon" and "pull the trigger" with that fpsgun.

^^ I too have a £4 keyboard :tup: I had a swanky wireless one, but the delay on button pressing was horrendous for gaming....Vive le under a fiver keyboards:grin:

Topic?? Where are yooooo...?