monkeyarmada

Mice for gamers.

I have, embarrasingly, been using a Creative Fatal1ty headset. It was on offer, quite cheap and the sound quality is actually quite good.

:getmecoat

I'm under the impression that the whole Fatal1ty thing is a bit of a marketing piss take.

I have one of those for the gaming needs. Reasonable enough. I have a pair of Sennheisers for music and single player gaming. They are wireless and closed back (is that what it's called, I forget) plus very comfortable. I second the Sennheiser gear.

I've been looking for a decent pair of true 5.1 cans for a while, but I still haven't bought one... at least I know I'll be buying wireless headphones, it is SO convenient to be able to walk around you home and do chores while listening to a TV show that doesn't really require watching, or just have it with you in bed...

MX518 here - always found the Razer mice too small to use comfortably for a long time. Never use a mat either. Make sure the desk is polished often, and you get perfect glide. I've not noticed the peeling issue on the MX518 myself either.

Have a Razer keyboard though, the Lycosa, purchased for it's backlight so I can game in the dark and still chat. It's my second backlit keyboard, the first one was dead cheap 'cos I didn't feel that spending a lot on a kb was worth it...until the backlight faded after 12 months or so. Lycosa now prolly 2 years old, going strong.

20071004_razer_lycosa.jpg

I have, embarrasingly, been using a Creative Fatal1ty headset. It was on offer, quite cheap and the sound quality is actually quite good.

:getmecoat

I'm under the impression that the whole Fatal1ty thing is a bit of a marketing piss take.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I find the quality to be really good, and it's quite comfortable. And it has something I have yet to see in other headsets; the microphone detaches from the headset, so if you're not using it, and it's in the way, just take it off. \o/

The only headset I've had for the past 10 years or so is a Sony headset which I bought for about 200-300 finnish marks. 30-50 euros.

Forgive me, but I can't be f:bomb:ked reading this whole fu:bomb:ing thread.

But I'm getting an iMac with the Magic Mouse, and after trying it out at the apple store, I'm convinced I need to get a backup mouse for games.

Doesn't matter if it's corded, and I want thumb buttons on the side. Something in the vein of a Logitech 950, but doesn't cost 200 goddamn bucks.

Essentialy, this is where you guys plug your mice. :tup:

Forgive me, but I can't be f:bomb:ked reading this whole fu:bomb:ing thread.

But I'm getting an iMac with the Magic Mouse, and after trying it out at the apple store, I'm convinced I need to get a backup mouse for games.

Doesn't matter if it's corded, and I want thumb buttons on the side. Something in the vein of a Logitech 950, but doesn't cost 200 goddamn bucks.

Essentialy, this is where you guys plug your mice. :tup:

Razer recently started supporting macs properly: for which I would recommend the Deathadder

I've had the SteelSeries Full-Size Headset for like 2 years now, and I'm willing to shamelessly promote it.

I had two pairs of Koss headsets before this, and they were really tight around the ears. They also made the whole area around the ear really clammy. Also, both of them broke way too early. Oh wait, that applies to every headset I've ever tried on.

The steelseries headset, however, weighs next to nothing. It's really relaxed so you can wear it for 5 hours without any, uh, after effects if you will. It's well ventilated, so you won't develop a fauna in your ears.

It doesn't block out external sound as well as some heavier models, but it does more than a good enough job at it. It leaks a bit, but mostly at really high levels.

Did I mention I've had it for 2 years? It looks really fragile, but it's taken quite a beating and still persists. I guess it owes some of that to it's flexible nature and simple construction.

Last but not least, it looks really good.

Whilst searching for a possible Australian/kangaroo/Mouse gag with which to garner a cheap laugh, I found this. A victory of sorts Mr Grippage.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/31/kangaroo.jpg

The Razer Deathadder seems popular.

That's awesome, but that mother's smile looks slightly forced. Kid looks like

a) he's having the time of his life

B) he's trying to escape

Thanks Patters, but I was trying to avoid the whole Gamer theme. But even if I disregard that principle, it still looks like it'll be 80-90 australian bucks, which is too much for a secondary mouse.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm installing Windows for all my gaming needs, so it doesn't have to be a mac mouse.

It's so hard to find a regular mouse now that everyone is so obsessed with Min(n)i(e) Mice for laptops.

Thanks Patters, but I was trying to avoid the whole Gamer theme.....

Theme? Theme? It's a way of life! :gaming: By about page two of the thread and I'd bought the DeathAdder myself, a fantastic bit of kit and won't go back to standard mice.

I would have thought that using the 'PC' mouse would soon take over from the Apple one, nothing more frustrating with going back to a Apple mouse after using a five button mouse for a while, oh!... that god awful scroll button on the mitee mouse too... Thinking about it, Apple have a history of really crappy mice. iMac Puck anyone?

Yeah the Magic Mouse was the weirdest mouse I've come across. It has touch sensitivity, but there was too much friction to really make it work.

But I'd like to think that I'll get used to it given enough time. I guess you can say that it's against Apple's ethos, but I'll get back to you on that.

It's so hard to find a regular mouse now that everyone is so obsessed with Min(n)i(e) Mice for laptops.

Thus my thing about the Razer Orochi a few posts back that seemed to resurrect this thread. I wanted a laptop/gaming mouse, not to have to choose. It really is great. On my desktop I'm still using my trusty Logitech MX1000, which has been going great for about 5 years now with no signs of stopping. If you're looking for a decent wireless mouse, that's a great one to pick up. I believe back on page 1 there was bunch of support for it. Now that I've fallen for the Orochi, I'm tempted to get a DeathAdder, but I just don't need to until this MX1000 craps out on me, which may not be for a long while yet.

I had an MX1000 but the charger stopped working, rendering the mouse unusable. Either way, I don't t think they sell it anymore.

This looks like a good deal...too good?

40 aussie bucks is like 37 infidel dollars, so it's pretty close.

I was about to post a screenshot from the game Alley Cat by Bill Willams, but then I realized that that was about a cat, not a mouse.

Just saw that Amazon has the Logitech G500 mouse going for $45 as their lightning deal, so now might be a good time to act if you've been craving a quality mouse.

Deal's only good for a little less than an hour at this point, so hopefully anyone interested sees this by then:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002J9GDXI/

I was sleeping when that offer was on the table.

But I realised that I shouldn't be looking for a cheap backup mouse. Since mice are portable, I'll get a higher quality mouse and eventually replace the broken mouse I have back home in Norway.

I'ts funny though, since the mouse back home was actually broken during my last journey to norway. Next time, however, I won't put the mouse in the bag's side pocket without any padding :tup:

So yeah, I'm looking at the M950 now. :molyneuxcrown:

I'm ready to give my ¢2 on the Magic Mouse.

It's very cool. I knew it was touch sensitive, but I had no idea that it was basically a multi-touch trackpad on wheels, so to speak. That means you can use gestures, even though it's virtually useless with that little space.

Middle mouse click is hit-and-miss. Currently I have it mapped to "3 finger click" (hold 3 fingers on the mouse and press). Working in Maya, where I have to switch between all three buttons, it gets very tiresome.

My verdict is this — it's not a good mouse.

It's not ergonomic at all. I have to lift my index finger to right-click (reduces accuracy). It's way too sensitive and erroneously picks up scroll gestures way too often.

On the plus side, it looks good. But who cares? No one, not even your guests, and they won't feel any different about you.

I've only played one game with it — ToMI — and it was a horrible experience. Imagine what a FPS will be like...

I've been recently playing with the idea of switching from wired to wireless peripherals... it's not that I'm not satisfied with what I've got as far as performance goes, but the appeal of wireless shit taking out... well, the wires, is increasingly appealing. The only thing I'm considering is how I'm going to offload what I've got already.

So, not looking to do this anytime in the immediate future, but would anyone in the US be interested in buying a Logitech G15 keyboard or G9 laser mouse? I'd be selling them greatly reduced from retail simply because they're used, the only other thing to keep in mind would be shipping. As to not clog up this thread, just shoot me a PM if you'd consider it.

I have a G15 too, and can highly recommend it. The feel of the keys are great, and the LCD screen on the top is really useful, it displays stuff like how much of the system is busy, or an HP bar, if the game supports it. ^^