JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I don't get those games. I bought Torchlight, but I don't see where it gets fun.

Vakyria Chronicles is £9.99 from HMV at the moment. With delivery.

Backlog++ :tup:

Oh you bastard. I keep buying games lately, I can't keep doing this x_x

I just purchased Tropico 3 on Steam after I played the demo, 7.50 is the fucking steal of the century.

I know it isn't gaming related but I need to brag about this one, my best ever deal on anything was After Effects CS4 Production Premium for 200 bucks.

I started playing Tropico 3 today and I find it very interesting despite all its flaws*. I really enjoyed how, in the first actual mission, my country was immediately exploited by a multinational corporation, how my people were forced to life in shit while I was taught how to transfer some of the nation's money into my personal Swiss bank account and how I was advised to hold a bit less free elections if I know what they mean just in case the other candidate might win. Semi-random events such as a llama flu epidemic that decreases the number of tourists and American expedition gone missing are really nice touches as well. Plus I was able to (eventually) make a shitload of money by investing everything I (the nation, I mean) had on tobacco for a while when my people were pretty much starving. That is always nice! :tup:

So yeah.. With that price I can heartily recommend the game for its satirical qualities alone.

*The roads, for instance, can be really difficult to get right. Plus, I still don't know what the sun symbols on top of buildings mean or what I really should do when there is a rebellion.

Yea, I had to google about the sun symbol, but apparently it means that your avatar has visited and production has been boosted for a while.

Now that's a completely obvious use for that symbol.

Thanks for that, though! Would probably have googled it myself but I figured it was probably not that important.

Anyone played the new Aliens vs Predator yet ?

Disclaimer: Demo only

It's too Special Move centric. Get behind someone, hit F, end of fight. The only people that get to do any real FPSing are the Marines, and they just get swarmed by aliens and have their throats ripped out. There was a real lack of Pred toys in the demo as well, so that isn't a good sign.

It's up to you, naturally, but if you're looking to revisit 2, look elsewhere.

HMV canceled the order, stating that their supplier says it's discontinued. The product was still up on their site last night, but it now appears to be stripped out :fart:

Vakyria Chronicles is £9.99 from HMV at the moment. With delivery.

capturexv.png

What is wrong with this picture, besides that 2 of the 3 games aren't very good?

edit: Make that 3 of the 3 games.

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

capturexv.png

What is wrong with this picture, besides that 2 of the 3 games aren't very good?

Nice math steam?

Assassin's Creed 2 + $10 game credit for $25 at Amazon

Damn you Amazon, damn you. I'm stringing these $10 credit for 5 or 6 games now and I'll probably never finish all of them this year.

I Don't really like promoting Gamestop, but this is a good thing if you really want Red Dead Redemption but can't manage $60 right now. http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/save40/

I traded The God of War Collection and Tekken 6, two games I really did not need sitting on my shelf and got Red Dead for $20.

I once tried one of those trade-in deals, but it turned out not a single game I own qualified for the list they had. I mean who wouldn't want to buy a used Rainbox Six: Vegas or Gears of War 2? I also tried Call of Duty 4, but apparently only MW2 is the shit now.

I once tried one of those trade-in deals, but it turned out not a single game I own qualified for the list they had. I mean who wouldn't want to buy a used Rainbox Six: Vegas or Gears of War 2? I also tried Call of Duty 4, but apparently only MW2 is the shit now.

You can check the list on their website. In their defense the lists are quite extensive and you can mix and match from all three consoles. They're mostly looking for more recent games than those you've listed.

Also: Jason Rohrer's Sleep is Death is doing a pay-what-you-want sale...or maybe that's the permanent price from now on...either way, just throwing that out there.

I don't know if everyone got this e-mail, but there's this fucking crazy Telltale deal that I just got sent that is allowing me to buy all three seasons of Sam and Max for 30 bucks since it says, "Hey I noticed you have bought an episode of Sam and Max."

Thing is, I already own all three seasons.

Yeah, I got the same email. I was asking myself: "when the hell did I buy S&M?". Then I checked Gmail for from:telltale and surely enough, I bought season 1 in January and I didn't even remember having done that... great, another game in the pile of shame.

Me too... I'd rather I didn't even know about this!

I also got the email and I've also bought all the three seasons a long time ago.

Just makes me frustrated to see discounts that are no use to me...

It makes me frustrated that after just two episodes of Season 3 have come out, they're already offering it (+2 others) for less than I originally paid for it.

I forwarded the code on to someone else. Not sure if it'll work for them or not, but it's worth trying.

I haven't played season 1 yet, but is it worth paying $30 for the other 2 seasons? (pretend Jake doesn't read this forum)

I haven't played season 1 yet, but is it worth paying $30 for the other 2 seasons? (pretend Jake doesn't read this forum)

I don't know if anyone here is particularly biased because of Jake. I know it doesn't affect my posts, anyways. Certainly not in the same way stupidity does.

To answer your question: Yes. Season Two starts out good (second episode excluded), butvery good on episode three and suddenly accelerates into excellence on episode four. Season Three has been exceptional so far - they really put a lot of work into making the episodes:

1. Constantly inventive

2. Genuinely funny

3. To make you feel like the puzzles are the story and vice versa. (Excuse the phrase, but it's good game design.)

And the games are full of little touches that just make them special.

I'm hoping they explore their mechanics completely ala Braid come episodes 3-5, though. That way they'll have their first real must-have game. It's an exciting time in adventure game history.

It's even better than Tales of Monkey Island. That's the best way I can put it.

I don't know. I'm tempted to buy it, but I still haven't completed season 1, and don't really feel like it.