JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Fuck me sideways... another Steam sale. I'll finally pick up Everyday Genius Squarelogic.

Holy shit, PB Winterbottom $0.49... that's a no-brainer right there.

Also, for anyone who enjoys puzzle games, math and sudoku, you should pick up Everyday Genius Squarelogic, it's only $1.49

Does anyone know any super awesome co-op games on Steam?

If you don't have Titan quest yet (shame on you) it's available for $2,50.

Titan Quest is the best Diablo like RPG game out there.

Yeah I'm now happy I held off on buying Civ V last week, as it's now 33% off instead of 25%. Still, I'm going to hold out til the last day of the sale to see if it goes even lower on a one-day deal. Also, Civ IV is totally worth buying for $5. I've never been able to play on anything higher than the lowest difficulty setting (I suck at those games) but even then I enjoy it. Just be aware that there's a very steep learning curve and you will more than likely lose a lot before getting any good at it.

I actually uninstalled Civ IV (and the expansions) after my first game of Civ V. I just couldn't think of a reason why I would have wanted to play IV instead after that. Some, however, will probably enjoy the older Civ games more as some features have been removed or "dumbed down" in V. I, as a semi-casual Civilization player, think that pretty much all of the changes were for the better.

So I just grabbed a bunch of junk (I'm leaving myself a 100 dollar limit for the sale, just spent 50, so I have some nice leeway for daily deals), the multiplayer ones being;

- Medieval 2 TW Gold

- Silent Hunter (4) Wolves of the Pacific (cause I'm sure you all are going to rush out and buy that :violin:)

- Greed Corp, because it looks hilarious and I'm a whore for tactics games

- The FEAR Collection (because I have no idea where my disks for 1 are, so why not have the set)

And because I've been feeling Nostalgic for Novalogic (someone shoot me for that one), I grabbed Commanche 4. Which. . .apparently has MP? Dunno. Helicopters! Pew pew.

Ahem.

All in all, this sale is already my monies worth. I am a consumer whore.

(And of course naturally I grabbed Strangers Wrath.)

Oh! On the Civ 4 VS 5 topic. They're both amazingly well done games, and the series of expansions for 4 is quite good (Warchiefs is passable, but BtS is a must) so it's up to you, really.

Sidebar for Civ 5: There was a giant uproar on the interwebs when 5 was released that had people bitching en masse about how the graphics were a step down from 4. Am I crazy (in that the graphics are fine, if not better) or is everyone else?

Probably going to buy Civ V sometime soon. Is IV + expansions worth owning anyway?

Civ IV is vastly superior as a strategy game, Civ V is a better 'game where you build a sweet empire'.

Civ IV also has a vibrant mod community, including Fall From Heaven and Dune. Honestly if you own one turn based strategy game, it should probably be Civ 4.

Is super meat boy appropriate for someone who has never played a platformer? I'm tempted by the endless lauding it gets.

Civ IV is vastly superior as a strategy game, Civ V is a better 'game where you build a sweet empire'.

Civ IV also has a vibrant mod community, including Fall From Heaven and Dune. Honestly if you own one turn based strategy game, it should probably be Civ 4.

Is super meat boy appropriate for someone who has never played a platformer? I'm tempted by the endless lauding it gets.

SMB is freakin' hardcore. Like, when you play the game, you'll think "This is freaking hardcore." in all senses of the word.

Also, I bought Civ IV, and now it, Warlords, and BTS are showing twice in my Steam list. Hopefully that'll correct itself soon enough. I still plan on buying V at some point, if it reduces any further during this sale.

I don't think it really matters whether you have played platformers or not. The game will make you its bitch either way.

I only played through the first set of levels. Super fun! The levels are just sort enough that you don't get frustrated even when you die constantly. A word of warning: this game is not meant to be played with keyboard. The game itself states that upon opening.

Sidebar for Civ 5: There was a giant uproar on the interwebs when 5 was released that had people bitching en masse about how the graphics were a step down from 4. Am I crazy (in that the graphics are fine, if not better) or is everyone else?

What? How can someone seriously claim that Civ IV looked better than V? I think Civ V map view is absolutely gorgeous.

Also, for anyone who enjoys puzzle games, math and sudoku, you should pick up Everyday Genius Squarelogic, it's only $1.49

I had never heard of this. It is really good! Kind of a 'Sudoku: the good parts'. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, I bought Civ IV, and now it, Warlords, and BTS are showing twice in my Steam list. Hopefully that'll correct itself soon enough. I still plan on buying V at some point, if it reduces any further during this sale.

Yeah I have that too, it showed up when the mac version came out. The Civ series tends to have low software quality, you will notice other animation glitches and interface weirdness. Anyway congratulations on the purchase, I'll buy you a beer if you don't like it.

- Medieval 2 TW Gold

- Silent Hunter (4) Wolves of the Pacific (cause I'm sure you all are going to rush out and buy that :violin:)

No, because I already own SH4 on disk. I thought 3 was better, but I didn't play a whole lot of it. I have 5 on my wishlist, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale for less.

No, because I already own SH4 on disk. I thought 3 was better, but I didn't play a whole lot of it. I have 5 on my wishlist, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale for less.

1. We should blow up boats sometime.

2. I would not recommend 5. Not even because of the DRM. Simply because it is broken as a dog that has had a turkey dropped on it.

(I was considering getting 3 as well anyway, but possibly from a different source because apparently. . .SH on Steam isn't completely patched? Something?)

I just made a deal with myself. I'm not going to buy anything from the holiday sales just because it's something I would want to play and it's on sale. I simply won't have time to play them anyway. I'd like to play Fallout 3 again with all the add-ons, but realistically I won't have the time in the near future. If I ever do find the time to play them, I'll buy them at whatever pricetag they have then.

But still, I might pick up a few truly sandvich-priced games that I've been curious about for a while. Like Titan Quest. I still probably won't find the time to play them any time soon, but 2-3€ is low enough to get them just in case :)

TL;DR I'm only buying sandvich-priced games from this holiday sale.

Mildly off topic:

Remember how all the 90s war machine focused games had horrible, generic metal soundtracks?

Things like this?

IhkNWrlDV94

Well, Commanche 4 doesn't. But it damn well will with my help.

Gonna party like its. . .Cuba, I guess. I don't really know. It's astounding this stuff doesn't make me want to just plug my ears with knives. Ahhh, nostalgia, you vile daemon.

Mildly on-topic: Stranger's Wrath is the broken. Patters and I are both on the receiving end of approx. 10 FPS at all times. *Sadpanda*

Edited by Orvidos

Let me direct you to search for "Indie Pack" on Steam and find like ten $5 5-packs of indie games. Amazing deals.