JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

The Roddy Piper vs Keith David scene is awesome

This happened last night. The video also has the same character voice I used. The use of music in SR4 is utterly brilliant. 

That game is graphically pleasing, but it sure makes you realise how good the physics and pedestrian animations are in GTA5 — aside from in stills, that looks positively archaic in comparison. Still, looks fun!

After watching the SR4 Quick Look and a bunch of trailers for fun yesterday, I'm surprisingly happy that other people play as a female character with the Laura Bailey voice.

It's like seeing clips of Mass Effect and realizing that there are people who don't play as FemShep for some reason.

I cracked up at the "sex appeal" slider on the female character creation.

In retrospect it was obvious what would happen, but I really wasn't expecting it at the time.

I cracked up at the "sex appeal" slider on the female character creation.

In retrospect it was obvious what would happen, but I really wasn't expecting it at the time.

what the hell

GOG.com is doing a woot style sale right now. I grabbed PAINKILLER Black Edition, since I've never played the DLC, and it's the best FPS of all time. 

The Roddy Piper vs Keith David scene is awesome

Which means that Roddy Piper vs Keith David scenes are batting 1.000

I just rechecked on youtube.  Yup, still awesome.

Because I'm in the midst of finals season at University, have a 5000 word project to write by Friday, of which I've only written 1000, of which 700 is utter horseshit, and also am rapidly running out of money just trying to survive.

Oh, it was a rhetorical question.

I know you're mostly just making a joke, but stuff like this does make me really sad about how much free time/money/general privilege is required to play video games. I generally get excited about stuff and want people to play it and also be excited about it, but then I get reminded about all the other more important things people have going on and I feel really bad about myself.

I swear I'll shut up about this game one day, but The Humble Store has Kentucky Route Zero for 50% off right now. You should play it. Why aren't you playing it already?

Very tempting! Thanks for the heads up!

What hobby doesn't require free time/money? 

Any hobby requires free time, but games do take more money than most. Also, more generally the ability to have hobbies is a luxury that many people struggling to feed a family, working for less than a living wage, or generally living in the global south don't have.

Mostly just random privilege guilt. 

I don't think you can say that games cost more money than other hobbies without explaining that theory.

Video games have definitely been a cheaper hobby than continuing down the path that 40k and games like it would have.

Of course it depends on the hobby, but of all mine gaming is definitely the priciest.

I don't think you can say that games cost more money than other hobbies without explaining that theory.

I'm sure there are pricier hobbies. For me, it is the most expensive hobby I take part in (reading, running, and biking are how I spend my free time otherwise, and all of those things are free to cheap). But I made a sweeping generalization, and therefore should be punished. So, sorry about that.

I'm sure there are pricier hobbies. For me, it is the most expensive hobby I take part in (reading, running, and biking are how I spend my free time otherwise, and all of those things are free to cheap). But I made a sweeping generalization, and therefore should be punished. So, sorry about that.

Gaming can cost a lot if you let it, like any hobby. Especially if you want to keep up with the Jones, certainly choosing to take part in the discussions surrounding the latest titles by buying at release, rather than wait for sales carries a hefty premium.

I've found biking to be super expensive, though it's mostly an upfront cost situation.

Re: the privilege thing, I think there's definitely a ton of ways to game inexpensively. I always see people in GameStop who at least outwardly seem less to-do than myself (I'm lower-middle class) doing just fine buying games from last generation or letting their kids buy one game under $20 per visit. Every time I visit a local Redbox nearly every game is rented out.

Beside the point but the quintessential example, I've played Fallout 3 like 200+ hours so around a three dimes per hour of fun is pretty ridiculous in terms of cost per time. Obviously not every game is like that and not everyone is interested in games like that, but unless you go out of your way to find low playtime games I suspect its cheaper per hour to play games than to go to the movies on a regular basis not to mention resale value/used market.