JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Forza Horizon is $10.19 for Gold Members - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Forza-Horizon/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5309c9?nosplash=1&SortBy=BestSellingToday

PSN Store is running a "Best of E3 Sale" which includes the following (PS+, non PS+) -

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3) - $19.59, $27.99
Battlefield 4 (PS3) - $24.49, $34.99
Battlefield 4 (PS4) - $48.59, $53.99
Contrast (PS3 or PS4) - $7.34, $10.49
Diablo III (PS3) - $23.99, $29.99
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3) - $12.24, $17.49
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Collector’s Edition (PS3) - $22.04, $31.49
Just Dance 2014 (PS3) - $19.59, $27.99
Killzone: Mercenary (PS Vita) - $17.49, $24.99
Luftrausers (PS Vita) - $4.89, $6.99
Luftrausers (PS3) - $4.89, $6.99
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3) - $12.59, $13.99
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) - $18.89, $20.99
Need for Speed: Rivals (PS3) - $29.39, $41.99
Need for Speed: Rivals (PS4) - $48.59, $53.99
Outlast (PS4) - $9.79, $13.99
Saints Row IV (PS3) - $13.49, $14.99
The Walking Dead: Season Two – Season Pass (PS3) - $9.79, $13.99
The Wolf Among Us – Season Pass (PS3) - $9.79, $13.99

I might change my mind when it starts, but the last two sales feel like they've kind bludgeoned my enthusiasm for them.  Which is really my fault, not Steam's.  I've just bought too much shit.  And not even spent that much money, so I can't be upset about that.  Just hard to get hyped about now.  Which is probably a much healthier attitude to have, I'll just buy a couple of things I really want.

I think I'd rather save up for a WiiU instead, Steam Sale are more common than the current Mario Kart 8 free game promo. :|

I might change my mind when it starts, but the last two sales feel like they've kind bludgeoned my enthusiasm for them.  Which is really my fault, not Steam's.  I've just bought too much shit.  And not even spent that much money, so I can't be upset about that.  Just hard to get hyped about now.  Which is probably a much healthier attitude to have, I'll just buy a couple of things I really want.

Yeah, same here. My backlog is ever at the front of my mind and even when I see good deals on games I want to play like Forza Horizon which I posted earlier, I think "man, I haven't even beaten Driver: SF or Need For Speed: Most Wanted". I saw Resident Evil Revelations on sale, and I remembered that I have RE5 on 360 that I never beat. Why pick up Saint's Row 4 when I'm only 40% through Saint's Row 3?

It's hard to get hyped for sales anymore. I'll probably budget like $20 for the Steam sale, because there might be a handful of sub-$5 impulse buys in my future but that's likely to be the extent of it.

I put a few items on my wishlist in anticipation of the sale.  I'm probably going to stick to those unless I see some kind of crazy 80% off deal on something.

I'm thinking it might be time to pick up State of Decay, which I'm sure will end up on sale at some point. Other than that, I have plenty to play already. I bought a PS3 with 6 games (and 2 more I plan to get later) back in November and I've only beaten 1.

Metro: LL, State of Decay, maybe Starbound if it's on sale.  I can't think of much else that's close to the top of my list of what I want to play.  There are probably a few indies that will be sub-$3 that I'll grab. 

Finally, been waiting for the steam sale for a while. My back log is going to double (I've been doing well at clearing it!)

Dark Souls 2 killed any progress I might have been making on my backlog.  And now there are expansions for it.  There is no hope.

I'm looking forward to picking up DLC and some indie titles, but there's no proper game I'm actually holding out to buy.

I've got a few things on my wishlist. So this'll be nice if I can get those, who cares if I can't sorta deal. Still have a backlog in the hundreds. Plus I just started Dark Souls (1) myself...

Man, I'm trying to log into my Origin account to take advantage of the sale, but the password I have written down doesn't seem to work and the password reset emails aren't coming through. I'm wondering at this point if I've been hacked, or if the Origin system is just broken because I swear I've had this problem before.

I had to make a new account for my wife to get ME3 for her.  Exact same situation you described.  Thankfully she didn't own anything on Origin, just had an EA account from Dragon Age stuff that had been ported to Origin. 

Reading around I see lots of forum complaints about password reset emails not coming through, so I think it's just broken. Waiting on the EA chat line now to see how many pounds of flesh I need to give up to get into my account. I've read some horror stories.

my origin password reset requests have taken a hours to come through, but to further the issue setting a  "new password" would not activate for a few days...creating a cyclical reset

I waited 24 hours and the reset email never came. After the 45 minute wait for the tech support guy, things went fairly well. He just asked me my security questions, then sent a password reset link from a slightly different EA customer support address, it came through, I reset the password, done!

45 minute wait though. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled Deals thread.

What really annoys me about origin password resets (which I've probably used at least three or four times) is their arbitrary complexity requirements for passwords.

SPELLING OUT SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PASSWORD ACTUALLY MAKES IT LESS SECURE. My password is already over 20 characters long, I don't need you to force me to make it "more" secure.

It only stood out to me because I have a couple of friends playing Euro Truck Simulator and the Multiplayer mod went into public alpha last month. I'm not paying $25 for it though.

What really annoys me about origin password resets (which I've probably used at least three or four times) is their arbitrary complexity requirements for passwords.

SPELLING OUT SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PASSWORD ACTUALLY MAKES IT LESS SECURE. My password is already over 20 characters long, I don't need you to force me to make it "more" secure.

Yeah, I started moving passwords over to be long form phrases rather than randomized symbols or words with random numbers/symbols, as everything I understand about passwords points to a very long password of mostly letters being as good as a shorter passwords with numbers and symbols.  But I still end up with random shit tacked onto the end to satisfy whatever requirement a service has.  The places that really drive me batter are the ones that have rather short total character limits for passwords, cause really, your requirement is literally that I use something less secure than I prefer?  I have one government website I use that has a 6 character limit for passwords. 

It only stood out to me because I have a couple of friends playing Euro Truck Simulator and the Multiplayer mod went into public alpha last month. I'm not paying $25 for it though.

I think ETS is the only game that has a cover which stood out from the rest. It was like generic game after generic game. Dragon Age Origins is pretty fun, but I'm not paying £5 for a game I played >50 hours of on my PS3. 

Yeah, I started moving passwords over to be long form phrases rather than randomized symbols or words with random numbers/symbols, as everything I understand about passwords points to a very long password of mostly letters being as good as a shorter passwords with numbers and symbols.  But I still end up with random shit tacked onto the end to satisfy whatever requirement a service has.  The places that really drive me batter are the ones that have rather short total character limits for passwords, cause really, your requirement is literally that I use something less secure than I prefer?  I have one government website I use that has a 6 character limit for passwords. 

Oh man minimum password size I haven't encountered that in so long I forgot how much it makes me rage. ARGH. PASSWORDS.