JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I basically have no more compunction over buying digital games or accepting PS Plus games because I literally have so many games that if I have an inkling to play a game a second time, it's no big loss. For instance, if I get Shadow of the Colossus free on PS Plus, I'm not going to feel any anxiety over "renting" it for free because I'm almost certainly not going to play it again.

My desire to have a tangible collection is almost completely irrational, so the growing utility of simply owning (or "owning") games digitally is quickly overcoming that anxiety.

It's also worth noting that PS Plus not only gives out the "free" "rental" games, but also some hefty discounts on games that you will actually "own" after buying them at the lowered price. I've gotten plenty of sweet games for 50-75% of their retail value digitally, which beats the heck out of the occasional similar valued used games I get on Amazon Warehouse. I've even gotten some slick flipping out of it, like when The Last of Us was $20 for PS+ members and the trade-in value at Gamestop and the like was still hovering around $30.

So how is the online for SG? I'm still kinda interested, I'd quite like to at least be...adequate at fighting games. If it takes a good looking game to teach me it's probably worth it.

I'll check when I get home. :)

Playstation Plus does seem like some crazy unsustainable promotion. The only caveat is that those games are only yours as long as you subscribe.

It's also worth noting that PS Plus not only gives out the "free" "rental" games, but also some hefty discounts on games that you will actually "own" after buying them at the lowered price. I've gotten plenty of sweet games for 50-75% of their retail value digitally, which beats the heck out of the occasional similar valued used games I get on Amazon Warehouse. I've even gotten some slick flipping out of it, like when The Last of Us was $20 for PS+ members and the trade-in value at Gamestop and the like was still hovering around $30.

So the games with a major discount still stay yours after you unsubscribe right?

So the games with a major discount still stay yours after you unsubscribe right?

Correct. Any game you pay any additional (beyond the subscription fee for Plus) money for is not a "rental", it's something you own after you unsubscribe. PS+ discounts tend to be further discounts heaped on top of discounts offered to the general public. So something might go on sale for 25% to everyone, but 50% to PS+ members.

So how is the online for SG? I'm still kinda interested, I'd quite like to at least be...adequate at fighting games. If it takes a good looking game to teach me it's probably worth it.

The online is good for a fighting game. I played a couple of matches, and when you start, you get a screen which states the frame delay on each side, and the advised delay it should be. It's a bit of a confusing screen to take in at first, as it can be over quite quickly.

The actual fight is pretty lag-free, given the correct frame delay. I played a guy in the states, once with a delay of 2, where it was pretty jumpy at times, and again at 5, where it was actually rather smooth. There was also no dropped matches of the 5-odd i played.

Either way I got my ass kicked horrifically online. But at least it wasn't due to lag, so I suppose it's fair.

As for MP modes, there's a lobby, where people host... lobbies of up to 8? people, they can fight each other n stuff. There's also a quick match which is supposedly ranked, which is where I got the best connection and the quickest fights. Even though it's ranked, there was no indication as to how. So I don't know how that works, if at all.

Finally you can choose where to search for fights due to area, which is nice.

I don't really have much to say on it other than it's there and works. You will probably get your ass kicked, but there were times when I nearly made a comeback. It seems the vast majority of people playing are quite good. Either way, if you get the game, add me on steam and i'll play ya. :)

Correct. Any game you pay any additional (beyond the subscription fee for Plus) money for is not a "rental", it's something you own after you unsubscribe. PS+ discounts tend to be further discounts heaped on top of discounts offered to the general public. So something might go on sale for 25% to everyone, but 50% to PS+ members.

For instance, the golden week sale going on right now has a bunch of items marked down to half price. With PSPlus, you get another half off of that, giving you a 75% total discount.

GMG comes through again with another 25% discount code. It doesn't work on Watch Dogs, but will work on Dark Souls II and Wolfenstein: The New Order.

9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

So Steam is having a big Activision sale right now, and there's a weekend deal for a sale on a whole bunch of Star Wars games.

Also, if anyone wants 40% off of Luftrausers, I just got a Steam coupon for that.

Has anyone played towerfall? I'd like to give it a go, but from the sounds of things it's local coop and I don't have mates. Is there a single player mode?

Has anyone played towerfall? I'd like to give it a go, but from the sounds of things it's local coop and I don't have mates. Is there a single player mode?

There is a single player mode, but it is mostly a series of challenges. If that's all you'd be getting it for, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you might get a multiplayer match together at some point, it can be a lot of fun.

RE: Towerfall and Nidhogg

What kind of controllers do you all recommend? I have a single wired 360 controller and an SNES USB hub thing with two ports. Could I use an SNES controller for either/both of these games? If so, cool.

There is a single player mode, but it is mostly a series of challenges. If that's all you'd be getting it for, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you might get a multiplayer match together at some point, it can be a lot of fun.

Guess I'll give it a miss then. Thanks for the heads up.

RE: Towerfall and Nidhogg

What kind of controllers do you all recommend? I have a single wired 360 controller and an SNES USB hub thing with two ports. Could I use an SNES controller for either/both of these games? If so, cool.

Nidhogg didn't recognise my 360 HORI game stick, so I highly doubt it'll recognise the SNES USB. It works great with a 360 controller, however. I guess you could try and run xpadder to get the SNES USB to work.

SR3 is much better if you haven't played it already.

I personally didn't like SR4, as it was all too dark and gave me a headache. for a VR world, they could have turned the lights on.

I did love the in-head radio though. That was the best, as it meant I could listen to the songs when walking about too.

I wouldn't say much better. Probably better though. SR4 is still a really fun game, and is definitely worth it. I got it at 66% off on steam, but I would have paid full price if I didnt have a huge backlog.

Personally, I thought SR3 was a ton better, but I think that's simply a matter of the game changing from being a GTA-like to an Infamous-like. I missed driving.

I blasted through the main missions of SR4 on a free weekend, took me about 8 hours, really enjoyed the middle 4 hours. But yeah, it has the usual underpowered collect-a-thon to start then gets repetitive towards the end, and although it's the only SR game I've played, like Dewar I did think it was a shame that driving shenanigans were obsolete as soon as your free-running is boosted by a point or two.

I knew what I was getting into with SR4. I think I actually 99% completed SR3 but one side mission kept bugging out. So by that I mean I had my fill of it! I was glad to play an infamous type game on my PC.

I 100%ed SR3, including all of the side stuff like the Saintsbook missions. I've been playing SR4 over the last few weeks and really digging it, though maybe not as much.

Yeah, I get that feeling too. I couldn't tell if I just don't like the game as much, or if it's because I recently played gta v and gravity rush.