JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Too bad most of the games in the bundle are for Uplay only, we tend to make Origin jokes a lot, but Uplay? We all have it, but I don't want to have a game only on Uplay, the least reliable of these services.

I'm probably going to take a look on the US PSN Golden Week deal, even if the EU PSN had the same sale, the US has so many more Japanese games that Europe doesn't.

It's almost annoying how easy it is to play US PSP and PS3 games on an EU PSN account compared to the Vita ones, but at least we seem to have the same titles in that category.

I finally made a uPlay account for one of the more recent Heroes of Might and Magic. I regret it.

I finally made a uPlay account for one of the more recent Heroes of Might and Magic. I regret it.

I can understand that. But at least Uplay is way better that during the time I played Heroes VI, where I would be disconnected at random times or it would remain days without connecting... This days I play only M&M X which I think only use uplay for activation, anyway, I hadn´t a single problem with it.

I guess that aside from Heroes VI and M&M X (and maybe Heroes V, but I had retail version, so I can´t say how much linked to Uplay it is and maybe also the Heroes III HD) use uplay. Meanwhile Heroes II, IV and the 6 pack (M&M 1-6) maybe are GoG versions.

Just to keep on topic, in case someone like, there is a Star Wars Collection on sale on steam with 70% discount.

Well, I bought a few US only PSP JRPG on the PSN sale and it looks like most Star Wars stuff is on sale everywhere because it's almost May the 4th?

I was pretty disappointed with the PSN sale in EU. I was ready to buy the metal gear HD collection for vita, as that's always on sale, but alas it's not this time. 

Mightily tempted by Alien Isolation though. I've just heard so many bad things about it, well...everyone has said "It's great, buuuuuut"

Same here, an overly long horror game sounds terrible in more ways than one, not to mention "slogging it" would kill the tension.

I could swear I posted that somewhere after the Golden Week Sale was linked, but yes, well worth the money.

Given all the Bloodborne/DS2 talk, Demon's Souls is on sale for $6.80 ($5 for PS Plus members) on the PS Store this week. 

I convinced my friend who owns a PS3 to buy that, because he's been dragging his feet on playing the copy of Dark Souls that I bought him, so I'm going to need some advice in our non-existent Demon's Souls thread on how to wow him with my Souls prowess very soon.

Demon Souls might be a rough game to start with. I played it after Dark Souls and still found it pretty obtuse.

Demon Souls might be a rough game to start with. I played it after Dark Souls and still found it pretty obtuse.

You misunderstand me. He won't play Dark Souls, so he's going to watch me play Demon's Souls.

I could swear I posted that somewhere after the Golden Week Sale was linked, but yes, well worth the money.

I think it got mentioned in one of the Soul/Bourne threads, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it here as well since not everyone reads those specific game threads.

And yes, Demon's Souls is much more obtuse than any of the others.  I still think the World/Character Tendencies are just some of the dumbest things.  The idea of different areas opening/closing based on your actions is cool, but the way Tendencies are implemented makes it nearly impossible to figure out on your own, and you have to specifically play to cater to them.

You misunderstand me. He won't play Dark Souls, so he's going to watch me play Demon's Souls.

Ha, I also misunderstood you.  Mechanically you'll be fine, it's not that much different.  But the weapon upgrade paths and tendency stuff is just crazy hard to figure out on your own. 

Ha, I also misunderstood you.  Mechanically you'll be fine, it's not that much different.  But the weapon upgrade paths and tendency stuff is just crazy hard to figure out on your own. 

Should I just look that up, then? Is there much satisfaction to be gained from stumbling upon a weapon or anything?

There's something like 13 or 14 different upgrade materials, some of the upgrades branch off of other upgrades, but only at specific previous upgrade levels, some of the upgrades aren't terribly obvious what they are doing.  I'd say play for a few hours to get a feel of what you like, then check out what paths will benefit the style you're enjoying the most. 

If From ever makes another King's Field game, that thread title is going to be fucking weird. 

If From ever makes another King's Field game, that thread title is going to be fucking weird. 

You mean "Kingsfield 2016 (from From)"

King's Field (King's Field (Demon's Souls predecessor (Dark Souls predecessor (Dark Souls II predecessor (Bloodborne predecessor)))) successor)

It should really be:

King's Field (King's Field (Demon's Souls (Dark Souls (Dark Souls II (Bloodborne predecessor) predecessor) predecessor) predecessor) successor)

Mington set a bad precedent.

It should really be:

King's Field (King's Field (Demon's Souls (Dark Souls (Dark Souls II (Bloodborne predecessor) predecessor) predecessor) predecessor) successor)

Mington set a bad precedent.

I was actually going to do it that way, but wanted to follow the established format.

This gets a lot more complicated when you add Otogi into the mix too.

I never buy games on uPlay and I'm not sure I would encourage anyone to, but I did happen to see that they're running a sale on The Witcher 3 pre-orders where you get a free game of your choice (between AC: Rogue, AC: Black Flag, Watch Dogs, and Far Cry 3) and a free copy of Neverwinter Nights. Actually kinda tempting so I could get ahold of Rogue...

Destiny (PS4) is $19.99 + tax at Gamefly right now. If you don't knew the schtick with Gamefly, they sell retired rental games in good condition (often I don't even see any notable scratches, they're being sold because demand is down) and the case + manual + any included codes are in mint condition - https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/Destiny/5007736

Buy the game and join us! It seems like Destiny is enjoying a bit of a renaissance with the upcoming expansion on the horizon.

Also, less personally recommendable but still notable - AC: Unity (PS4) for $12.99Lords of the Fallen (PS4) for $17.99, and Alien: Isolation (PS4) for $14.99.