JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

My experience with them has been pretty negative. I don't mind the ugly, but the frame rate is pretty lousy (even worse than the original sometimes.)

My experience with PS1 classics has been pretty good, but perhaps that's because I have no frame of reference for the PS1 since I never owned one personally. Hard to go too far wrong for $1, though.

I've only played a few.  NFL Blitz (on disc) and Parasite Eve were both great, Final Fantasy 7 was ass.  But FF7 was probably ruined for me thanks to multiple playthroughs emulated, where I could fast forward through a bunch of cruft.

This would be a good opportunity to play/replay the original Katamari Damacy for a dollar. A lot of the other games that also came out on PC I already ave on Steam.

I was about to whine on how the EU PSN store doesn't have PSN sales, but... I could just get an US PSN store points card and buy a bunch of PSOne Classics to play on the PSP/Vita. XP

For some reason Steam thinks Anachronox is unavailable in my region, so I can't see the "friends who want" / "friends who own" information, though I see people on my Activity Feed buying new copies. Perhaps we could have some sort of game club and play through it more-or-less at the same time. Old timers and newcomers alike. Is that an achievable or even desirable aspiration?

Anachronox isn't really a good candidate for game-clubbing due to the significant branching going on at some point. Although, it's only 2 consecutive missions out of a pool of 5.

Then again, it's an awesome game which I really should play again.

I got a bunch of games and I still have some credit left on my US PSN account, are these flash deals frequent enough, or should I just buy some PSOne Classic? 

XCOM: Enemy Within is currently $5 on iOS Universal.

I got a bunch of games and I still have some credit left on my US PSN account, are these flash deals frequent enough, or should I just buy some PSOne Classic? 

They tend to run deals pretty regularly as far as I can tell. I don't have a Playstation, but my little bro gets a ton of stuff on top of the PS Plus games for cheap. A decent sized sale at least every couple of months.

Has anybody seen this Squeenix Easter Bundle yet? What was in the last few ones?

I guess you'll at least get one FF game in the bundle and maybe some Tomb Raider and Thief? I'm tempted to get just to see if I get Life Is Strange.

I've not checked since yesterday but consensus was that Hitman Absolution met the minimum requirements and Life Is Strange - Episode 1 was a good shout for one of the others. Gets people into the season. Kane & Lynch Collection might be there because there's one less set of Steam keys promised than there are games? Iunno. Should probably have searched again before posting but hey.

Saw this on twitter, if you're in the US and don't have a PS4:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Bloodborne-Bundle/dp/B00UZGQ3G4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427753456&sr=8-3&keywords=ps4+bloodborne+bundle

Playstation 4 + Bloodborne + The Last Of Us Remastered + $20 Amazon gift card, for $399.

For the price of a PS4 you're getting arguably the two best games and a gift card.

No one else may care about this, but I was super excited.  Obscure and Obscure 2 (PS2 era survival horror games that have local co-op) are on sale on Steam for 50 percent off.  I've had these on my wishlist for years and have never seen them on sale before. 

I got those two and saw that The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is 60% off, that was a decent game, right?

I got those two and saw that The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is 60% off, that was a decent game, right?

Seemed like a bunch of people liked it, but since then one of the co-owners of the studio has come out heavily in favor of gamergate and written a few  essays on the subject, arguing in that first one that there is an obvious biological component going on that explains why men like League of Legends and women prefer Hidden Object Puzzle Games.  Pretty much turned me off of supporting his work. 

Damn, and it's small team, right? If it was a bigger team I might think about it, but with only a handful of people it's not just a drop in a bucket, if that makes any sense.

Also, I play Hidden Object Games, some of them are pretty good. 

Yeah, as far as I know it's a super small team.  If he was one asshat who worked at a 500 person company, yeah, I get not necessarily holding the company responsible for his actions.  But when he's the co-owner of a small company, that's a different thing.

Morphopolis is 95% off on Steam right now, which makes it amazingly cheap. Didn't know about it before and bought it because it looks very pretty and only cost 24 cent*.

It is a kind of hidden object adventure in the style of Samorost, indeed very pretty (not unlike Samorost), with insects. Well worth the close to nothing I paid for it. In fact worth a lot more.

SgudX7R.jpg

*Got three of those Steam-cards after playing the game for a bit and sold them for 16 cent right away, which makes me not understand the economics of this card-stuff even more.

The Humble Store is having a shooter sale on games like Painkiller and Serious Sam. Heavy Bullets looks like it could be interesting? And is Aliens Colonial Marines funny bad or tedious and horrible bad? 

I haven't played Heavy Bullets for a while, but it's really good fun. The limited ammo system is a really neat idea, and I liked the way you had to pick up the bullets after you fired them.

Also when I last played, there was some permanent stuff going on through the gameplays. I haven't played since it got out of EA though.

Now humble bundle is making a Might and Magic Bundle - https://www.humblebundle.com/ But since I am fan of Might & Magic franchise I do have almost all of them. Still...

First tier is good - the 6 pack have the classic rpg titles, I recommend start by M&M 2 and move foward since M&M 1 maybe too much old school, so save it for later. Heroes II is classic and while lot of people look down on Heroes IV isn´t that terrible game, I mean, given the horrible working conditions they had, it´s somewhat good game that maybe tried to change too much stuff which also increased rejection by old fans.

Second tier.... not so good, I do like Heroes V but is only worthy if it had all expansions. I do have lots of mixed fellings about Heroes VI, is almost good... but the campaing is terrible unbalanced. Never liked Dark Messiah but I heard that Clash of Heroes is great.

Third tier - Heroes III is classic...but the version in the bundle is the HD which isn´t great nor have the expansions. M&M X is good, the first new rpg in the franchise after many years.