JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Dishonored seems to be free to play on Steam for the next couple of days, or 75% off to buy.

I saw that it was on sale but somehow missed that it's free for the weekend.  I'll have to check it out.  Thanks.

Origin has Titanfall (PC) on sale for another +/-3.5 days

$20 for base

$36 for deluxe (season pass)

http://tw.gs/X4S8h2

*is this still a 50gb install? or did they patch away the excessive uncompressed audio

DLC alone is $17.50 for the season pass (down from $25) and $8 for the individual map packs. I decided to buy the season pass with hopes that'll get me to play some more.

The system specs say it requires 50GB of data, so I'm guessing yes :(

gross

i got the humble jumbo bundle and was equally grossed out by Van Helsing was 20gb

50% off ubisoft titles on the WiiU eshop. Really tempted by Child of Light, but some niggling feeling it's going to suck always stops me from buying it.

Bunch of 2K games are on sale this weekend as well, including the phenomenal Xcom Enemy Within expansion at $9.89, which I cannot endorse enough. 

The Bureau is also on sale for $4 again.  It wasn't the worst thing I played this year.  Actually, wait, it might have been.  But it was a fascinating train wreck.

Picked up Enemy Within two days ago and am loving it. Would also recommend the Long War mod to go along with it, really small, really simple install that adds a pretty incredible amount of new weapons, maps, equipment, perks, classes, etc. It's very well balanced, and also even more brutal by default, but I find it adds a far greater tactical depth. Risks are much riskier, and the domino effect of a mission going wrong is very intense. It also has a number of config options to make it either nigh impossible or easier.
I'd been waiting for EW to go on sale so I could try it and the mod and neither are a disappointment. Best ten bucks on gaming I've spent all year.

This has been around for a bit, but a search in here for 'Nintendo' didn't seem to show any posts. If, like me, hearing about Wii U games on the podcast got you interested in games like 3D World, then do this:

-Go here: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/

-Pay $200 USD for a Wii U Deluxe + Nintendoland bundle. (They also have Wii Remote Plus/Nunchuck combos for $25. Pick up one of these at least if you want to play Wii games and don't already have one, since the Bundle doesn't come with any. Hell, even if you have a Wii or Wii U already, $25 for a remote+nunchuck is a heckuva deal.) These consoles are eligible for the Digital Deluxe Promotion, by the by: https://p.nintendo.net/index.html

-Enjoy your system. It'll come marked 'refurbished', but a lot of buyers (myself included) have gotten the 'new unit' surveys on their Club Nintendo accounts, so many people suspect these may be retail units that got shipped back for... reasons.

They also sell refurb 3DS XLs and 2DSes there, if you're looking for a handheld deal.

Haha, who'd care about breeding mythical horses?

*goes back to breeding shiny Ponyta*

Use promo code EMCPBHD99 and you might be able to get Tomb Raider for a little more than $4.

The same sale that has TR at $5 also is discounting a lot of other Square Enix games - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?sdtid=7159540&SID=506cd76a756d40aaa883c940867a64fc&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PPSSPWBVIGMXBD&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=

gog.com have just had an overhaul, one aspect of which is selling movies. They've got two for free on there, one a doc about Pirate Bay's legal struggles, which is quite interesting, and a half hour thing about indie devs in Austin, which is a bit of a fluf piece but not bad (it also features tons of Stanley Parable footage, which I had to close my eyes during!).

They're also dropping a few games from their roster and have got them at sale price before they go.

Glancing through the movies on gog right now it looks like they are all indie documentaries about video games. I don't think steam actively sells or distributes many movies, but I think they've also only been video game documentaries so far as well. I'm guessing it's as simple as audience and distribution rights, but when if ever are various game sale sites that branch out into movies going deeper than documentaries about video games? Humble is the least purely video game example I know, but that's quite different I feel. I don't know what else they could host, but it does seem a bit shallow to me.

IIRC from the annoucement, they're starting out with video games / net culture subjects and broadening horizons from there. Seems like a good way to start expanding the service without ruffling too many feathers among GOG users.

Wonder if they'll end up teaming with Devolver Digital, which started getting into film distribution last year.

The voucher code NEVR14-U3AJ96-7004LF can be used at Green Man Gaming at the moment to get 20% off. As far as I know it works on anything, but of special note is that it can be combined with the fact that Civilization: Beyond Earth is already 25% off as a preorder (at least in the UK) to get it for £16 less. If the same holds true in the US, for example, that'd be along the lines of a $25 saving.