Patters

Non-video games

Gune of Thrunes

Goon of Prunes?

Also, as revealed in the Life thread, I have started playing the Pokémon Trading Card Game again. I do this because I am an idiot. I'm really impressed with Nintendo's continued effort to make it good, though. It's much better now than it was when I last played it, and it's got a buggy but conceptually really nice online version (you get codes in decks and booster packs to unlock digital equivalent). I also like that they're doing a MTG Fat Pack sort of thing with the Elite Trainer Boxes they're putting out. I really like the Genesect one I got.

Oh MAN, Dune. My main board game pal has an original copy, but we also printed the fan remake (all the assets are freely available) on the larger playing cards, and the map we mounted on foam core. Our last game took 13 straight hours, and ended on a final turn victory with me, as the Fremen summoned a worm, forced a conclave, convinced the Spacing Guild to ditch his Emperor Ally, and shuttle my people to a few key points. GREAT game.

I haven't played the others, but always heard great things about Resistance.

The last Dune game I played, House Atreides rode an alliance of convenience with the Emperor to victory. Harkonnen/Guild and Bene Gesserit/Fremen axes sprang up around the same time, but they were so busy positioning themselves to betray each other that no one noticed that me and my ally failing to do the same. It's such a crazy game. I wish there were a way to keep the playtime down, but the design's just so volatile, I wouldn't want to mess with it much.

Resistance is great, too. I forget what your issues with Battlestar are, but Resistance: Avalon is pretty much just speed-BSG. It's especially good if members of your group are prone to nursing grudges, because the games are over so fast that the hurt doesn't have time to sink in like it does with Battlestar.

I realize nobody else will care about this, but I got the craziest Pokémon booster pack and feel like I have to talk about it.

So boosters are normally ten cards: 5 commons, 3 uncommons, 1 rare, and 1 random card with a reverse-foil treatment. So you can usually expect no more than two rares to a pack at most. Overall, you have about a 1:4 chance of getting a holofoil rare as opposed to a normal one. You also have about a 1:18 chance of getting a Pokémon EX, a rare and powerful card with a special artistic treatment; and a 1:18 chance of getting a Full Art card, a special variant print of a card with artwork that takes up the entire surface of the card instead of just a small windowed section.

Through some kind of astonishing coincidence, I wound up with one of each in a single booster pack.

Ct3jbHL.png

That Full Art Meloetta EX is a card I've coveted forever, too. I love the artwork on it.

You're making me miss the feel of opening boosters of Magic: The Gathering Cards. I never got near as good of a pull as that though.

Making your own bespoke drawstring bags for tabletop gaming stuff is super-rewarding, by the way.

MAaIUQ1.png

You're making me miss the feel of opening boosters of Magic: The Gathering Cards. I never got near as good of a pull as that though.

It is such a nice feeling. =u=

I grabbed a booster while I was out shopping with a friend tonight and did almost as well. My rare this time was another EX, and my digital booster's rare was a full art Mew EX.

zFg9k5j.jpgSIdF4nN.png

Black Kyurem EX actually sort of sucks, but whatever.

Wey, nice! But already going to De Nieuwe Wildernis in cinemas with friends in Utrecht that day. I promise you that at one point in time, I WILL be a guest to your boardgames day :)

Yeah, Pokémon cards are the worst when they're CGI monsters.

I really like the full art cards just because they're almost always an interesting hand-drawn image rather than weird CG that inevitably ends up looking clunky and dated.

So I hate to keep boring everyone with Pokémon like this, but today was my free booster day in the online version and... well, if any of you guys play CCGs you may want to consider rubbing your boosters on my head for luck or something.

jao9hGq.png

(I've been dying for a physical version of this exact card for a while now for my Genesect deck, so I'm actually a little miffed I got it digitally)

The only two deck-building games I like are Thunderstone and Puzzle Strike. Basically I can't handle trashing cards. Why would I want to trash cards? That card could be useful later.

Do you guys remember how there was supposed to be a Call of Duty CCG at some point? I only found out about it by listening to some old Bombcasts. It was announced in 2008 and never released, and it was played in real time. As in, you basically fucking throw cards at each other until someone yells "pause" and you figure out what the hell just happened. This is the only evidence of how it actually looked and played that I can find, and just watching it makes me think of Bulletball guy.

I hadn't heard of Bulletball before! There are so many people that can't pitch and don't know it :|

Did you find the video where he's pitching it to some kind of Dragon's Den type show? It's the saddest, most cringe-inducing thing.

I feel a lot of pity over this kind of stuff, I once organised a bunch of workshops where people were taught how to do this kind of thing well. Nearly everyone's first pitch includes "So what is [macguffin]? I'll tell you what [macguffin] is" which is such a dull, trite, guffy piece of filler. Best advice I ever heard from someone listening to pitches: "No one has ever been criticised for their pitch being too short. Get to the point and we'll ask you questions".

Edit: Jesus…

. There's bad pitches, then there's delusional. I've seen both, but never that bad. The question at 1:55 really sticks the knife in too.

I felt really bad for some guys who had a stall at the Eurogamer Expo and were trying to build a business around using prototyping tech to make bespoke gaming merchandise. They hadn't managed to get their indiegogo thing together in time for the show, because it was a lot more work than they expected. They also had a terrible pitch in person that rambled on for ages attempting to mention everthing. How did it do? Well…

I keep seeing ads for two games that make me want to puke.  The first is Battle of the Sexes, which looks like the most gender stereotyped thing ever.  The game appears to be men vs women where the men have to answer questions like stuff like fashion, makeup, and cooking and the women get questions about cars, sports, and tools.  I'm both amazed and disgusted it exists.

The second is Logo Party which is a mix of pictionary and charades, except the things you're describing are corporate logos.  It's a massively obvious marketing gimmick that also makes me sick.

Sorry for the pukey post, but I hate that these are real things and had to express it somewhere.

:spiraldy:

Gross. I want there to be a really confusing/enlightening genderqueer expansion for Battle of The Sexes.

The girliest girl I ever went out with found Zynga's reskin, Fashion Wars, twee and insulting. So she played Mafia Wars instead :|

I've just started playing quite a bit with three college friends and as you might expect I've started looking for new games to try out. I would very much like something quite quick (Since we already have a bunch of 2+ hour games) or at least something that you can pick up quite easily so we don't have to spend the entire evening reading up on the rules.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The games we currently have in the rotation are: Bonanzha, Settlers of Catan, Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, Game of Thrones board game 

How quick is quick? I'm guessing under an hour. Based on what you mentioned, here are some suggestions: High Society and For Sale are both simple, fast auction games. Coup is a very good deduction and bluffing game. Carcasssone is a classic tile laying game. King of Tokyo is Yahtzee where your dice represent attacks made by giant monsters. Any of those would probably suit your purposes well.

Dominion and Smallworld are two of my favorites for quicker games.  Dominion is an interesting take on deck building, and Smallworld is a map conquest game that that forces battle due to a relatively small map. 

I have a friend who is super slow at deciding what to do in games (and in life, going to restaurants with him is a chore) and it's making playing games every week with my friends less enticing.

Edit: He killed Pandemic for all my friends. We played a single game of it and it will literally never be played again now.