Patters

Non-video games

Wow. Not only is that amazing, I also only now realize that Monopoly does not universally have Dutch street and city names on it. Wow.

what's weirder is that, in the US, all of the place names are from greater Atlantic City, so 95% of Americans haven't visited the places being named.

for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marven_Gardens, which I thought was a totally fake name as a kid when I played Monopoly for the first time.

I played D&D for the first time last night, which trashes a major taboo from my childhood. Not having played any for more than a decade, I'd forgotten how silly and fun pen and paper RPGs can be :tup:

We decided not to take it seriously, and my character is called Titus Pwn (). He very nearly died, but ultimately pwned with a ludicrously lucky 20 that simultaneously speared his antagonist in the neck and set them on fire.

Just played the first game of Risk: Legacy with my gaming group. The win was taken by a player who stretched their forces dangerously thin and then cashed in a bunch of resource cards before it all came crashing down. I had fun slapping stickers on the game pieces, writing on the board, and tearing used bits in half before throwing them away. We didn't fulfill the requirements to open any of the extra content packs, though, and I'm excited to see what happens when we do.

I played my first game of any kind of Risk yesterday - LOTR variant. It's a rather dumb game IMHO. I don't like dicefests.

Did I mention in this thread yet that me and my friends once combined Carcassonne and all of its expansions into something we called 'mega-Carcassonne'. The game lasted two days and covered the entire living room floor with tiles. It was excruciating and afterwards I swore I'd never play the game again. In retrospect, that was maybe entirely the right call.

The best would have been if one person got all their men trapped in dead end roads right at the start and you made him get all the tea.

This seems like it could be of interest...

My game group disbanded for the summer with the end of the semester, and I've been playing some solo Mage Knight. Anyone tried this? This thing is incredible.

My game group disbanded for the summer with the end of the semester, and I've been playing some solo Mage Knight. Anyone tried this? This thing is incredible.

Solo Mage Knight is fantastic. I've only gotten into board games recently, and I love Mage Knight. It's perfect for me as I can only fairly rarely get people together to play anything at all.

Well, I know you'r emostly talking about board games, but I get to go to the Hitchhiker's Guide Live show tonight. Original Cast! (minus Peter Jones).

Anyone playing board games recently? I got Lords of Waterdeep and successfully got my wife to play it. She enjoyed it, and not just because she won. I've been mucking around with Castle Ravenloft's solo options too, and I was going through Grind tonight...

Not sure how I'll convince anyone to play it with me. There's a fun idea in there but there are a lot of rules. I'm tempted to just grab a Warmachine starter set and head down to my local gaming store to scratch the Mech itch, but I don't know if I can handle getting into a table-top habit. Also, turning up to try and play randomly with strangers is too reminiscent of trying to get to know people in school. I hated trying to get to know people in school.

WIZARD!

[media]

[/media]

They're doing great stuff, but that is far and away my favourite of the episodes they've done. Then again, Wizard bias.

I got Lords of Waterdeep

I've been playing this too; it's a beautiful little game. I need to play it more, but in these early games we haven't looked at all the Lords and often have little to go on in terms of what someone else is shooting for. I've a feeling if we play it enough, there'll be a lot more anticipation and blocking of others. Agent placement creates some exceptionally good decision making and contingency planning, and you can get some really powerful combos going with the buildings. It feels very interleaved, like the best bits of a Euro, players end up paying a lot of attention to each other.

Edit: Waterdeep harbour can also make for some beautiful plays too; it seems to have just enough unique things to create small twists and stop it being a really straightforward and repetitive system, but without making it horrifically complex. I didn't find the rules too onerous; so much stuff is printed on the game pieces rather than in a book you must consult. I think that's basically good game design; so many shove all of the rules in a book when the game itself could make them clear. Infinite City almost managed it with all special rules printed on tiles, but that art was pretty badly handled and the type really small.

Edit edit: I've actually been playing a lot of D&D recently (4th ed). It's the first time I've roleplayed since G.U.R.P.S. over a decade ago, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I have an impulsive half elf named Titus Pwn*, who duel wields a trident and a short sword. He's the backup tank, which he's not really designed for, and his motto is "Still not dead". We have no medic, and the DM is kind of pulling his hair out trying to balance it as a result.

I've actually been playing a lot of D&D recently (4th ed). It's the first time I've roleplayed since G.U.R.P.S. over a decade ago, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I have an impulsive half elf named Titus Pwn*, who duel wields a trident and a short sword. He's the backup tank, which he's not really designed for, and his motto is "Still not dead". We have no medic, and the DM is kind of pulling his hair out trying to balance it as a result.

Until recently, I'd only ever played D&D 4.0 when it came to role playing, I like it a ton. It suits the way that I play. I don't really want to be in character or anything, but I'm willing to make my character do things I think he'd do. Also, lots of dice rolling. Maybe one of you will pick a path later on that leads to more healing abilities? I can't remember how that works. I was always a cleric, but I THINK the other divine classes had options?

Additionally, I did get a miniature this past weekend and... I made a complete balls of painting it. Like, it looks like a two year old was allowed a go at it. Hey, whatever. I paid for it. If I ever get better at this painting stuff, it'll be a point of pride to put this guy out there. Dudes in the local gaming store were extremely nice, they're going to run a demo for me soon. It seems that a decent chunk of the local community for Warmachine are around my age too, so that's a bit less discouraging.

It's a long time since I painted anything like that, but the best tip I got: Thin your paints. Not only will they go further, lots of thin coats won't obliterate the detail on your models either.

Edit: I managed to pick up a combat medic feat, which means I can stabilise dying characters as a minor action. It's actually reduced our chances of dying quite a bit, but there have been some very messy fights.

Cheers for the tip. I think that was a big mistake of mine. It's making a big difference already, I've tidied up the figure a fair bit. It's never going to look GREAT but it's starting to look okay.

I should really go and grab a D&D book... man, a cleric would help you guys. You can roll a pretty aggressive cleric in 4.0 that can still heal but gets to kill dudes. I eventually took the dilletante trait and took a nice ranged attack from either an avenger or an invoker as an encounter power.

Do you have an Invoker? I know it's a bit far down the road, but there's a Paragon Path (Adept of Whispers) that has a utility power that is a pretty strong heal, Restorative Word.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread with RPG and tabletop talk, I guess it's still on topic?

Chances of me every playing D&D are 0, there is a zero percent chance I could get my friends to play it. It makes me sad.

You could play it online. It's not as fun as in person, but it can still be good.

I saw a successful Kickstarter for a website called 'Roll 20' which promised users the ability to play a tabletop game such as D&D using a series of tokens and allowing someone to take the role of GM/DM in the game. It all looked pretty nifty and all (which actually annoyed me, because an extremely similar idea had been brewing in my mind for several months prior to my discovery of this.)

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it looks like fun and I'd definitely be willing to form a group for those of us that would like to play Table Top RPGs but sadly cannot. If nothing else it's worth a shot?

Like with random people? Isn't that a large part of what makes it fun?

No, with friends you've met online.

Do you have an Invoker? I know it's a bit far down the road, but there's a Paragon Path (Adept of Whispers) that has a utility power that is a pretty strong heal, Restorative Word.

We have a half elf ranger (close combat), a tiefling rogue, a halfling warlock (or mage, I forget which), and a dragonborn warrior. We're going to die, but are having a lot of fun on the way. Mostly, we've been using stealth to take down the first few enemies on a map, then squad tactics to funnel enemies into kill zones. Some of the bigger ones are starting to give us trouble though.

We have a half elf ranger (close combat), a tiefling rogue, a halfling warlock (or mage, I forget which), and a dragonborn warrior. We're going to die, but are having a lot of fun on the way. Mostly, we've been using stealth to take down the first few enemies on a map, then squad tactics to funnel enemies into kill zones. Some of the bigger ones are starting to give us trouble though.

Cool, well your DM will know a lot more than me how to deal with it. I THINK, if I remember correctly, that the dilettante trait I mentioned before was a half-elf thing, taking another class' at-will power and using as an encounter power, but I think it had to be the same broad area (Divine, Martial, etc.). So maybe you could grab Healing Word. But, to be honest, it's whatever your group has fun doing. I only really had one strong group experience, and the DM was great. He was all about shifting things to make it fun, and the group shared the same attitude to role-playing. Like I mentioned, I get incredibly uncomfortable when people are "acting" even though that's the whole fun for other people. It's really a flexible thing, I miss it.