gdf

Life

That's nothing. I have a Gold Swimming Certificate AND a Cycling Proficiency badge. I think we all know who's winning here :tmeh: (That's a thumb pointing inwards at myself)

I have neither of those...yet I went to swimming club and cycle safety lessons :erm: I have been DIDDLED :eek:

Andy

I finally got my outfit for kendo (hakama and keikogi) to wear during training! It looks pretty smart, if I do say so myself.

hakamaroderick.jpg

No, I've been back for a month. Don't tell me you want to meet up, you had three months to arrange something! :D

No, I've been back for a month. Don't tell me you want to meet up, you had three months to arrange something! :D

Lol. I live in the London, so it would be quite a trek. I was there last August and plan to be there again this August. (You weren't there last August were you? Did I totally flake out and forget to suggest meeting up? If so, I'm sorry!)

I was just wondering how it went. Quite a unique place, isn't it? I really do think my little maxim holds true: "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit."

No, I was there during the winter. The whole thing was quite absurd and wonderful. Because I lived there for three months it didn't feel like a vacation and therefore strangely more distant because I had so much time to get used to things.

As for your maxim, I am inclined to disagree. I think living in LA is a profoundly bad decision, since the city is absolutely ill-equipped to facilitate the state of being happy. The atmosphere is one of complete competition (if you're in the entertainment industry anyway) and everything there is aimed at working. Therefore, it is probably the best place on Earth to work and make a killing, but the worst place to have a splendid, balanced life. There's too much frantic energy there. I've seen so many unhappy people there during my short stay, completely obsessed with work and getting rich, to the exclusion of all else. Victims of LA, I call them.

I have definitely been smiling more...I just feel a lot happier at the moment! :tup::tup:

Fuck you. You think you're better than me?

(kidding).

Fuck you. You think you're better than me?

With the exception of Nick and Kotick, who isn't?

No, I was there during the winter. The whole thing was quite absurd and wonderful. Because I lived there for three months it didn't feel like a vacation and therefore strangely more distant because I had so much time to get used to things.

As for your maxim, I am inclined to disagree. I think living in LA is a profoundly bad decision, since the city is absolutely ill-equipped to facilitate the state of being happy. The atmosphere is one of complete competition (if you're in the entertainment industry anyway) and everything there is aimed at working. Therefore, it is probably the best place on Earth to work and make a killing, but the worst place to have a splendid, balanced life. There's too much frantic energy there. I've seen so many unhappy people there during my short stay, completely obsessed with work and getting rich, to the exclusion of all else. Victims of LA, I call them.

I didn't work "in the industry" while I was there, but I know people who do, and they seem very well-adjusted. But I also remember meeting people who were absolutely obsessed with "making it" (and hadn't), and it made me realise that I didn't want to be like them, and also that I certainly couldn't (and didn't want to) compete with their tenacity. So it kind of killed some pipe dreams I had... but in a good way. I was kind of like, "if that's what I have to do, then you can keep that dream, I'll take another one thanks".

Of course, you may remember me telling you that your first 12 months in LA are considered the worst. After that, it does get much better (you've made good friends, and actually have a life, etc.).

How has it altered your hopes and dreams, as it were? It sounds like you had the same experience as me: "You can keep those dreams, I'd rather enjoy my life!"

It was an interesting process, and you're the first person to ask this question, actually :)

The thing was, I was never really part of the life there. Even though I lived there for 3 months, I always remained a visitor, an observer. I liked this, because it gave me a shield: I never had to compete as you said in that tenacious pool of sharks. So I could take things easy and not be frantic all the time. I did make some friends there, so it's not like I only saw maladjusted losers. My friends were all just starting out in LA, full of ambition, in the best possible way. I still think if you catch a break, LA can really make you shine. But you do have to go for it, and it will come at the cost of any idea of a normal life. The slice of LA life that I saw was all about parties and working.

As for my dreams... at one point I did consider it a possibility to move to LA and live there, should I get a job offer during my stay or whatever. But once I was there, it wasn't the level of competition or the people there that made me realize I wanted to go back the Netherlands: it was simply that I missed life here too much, my friends and family. It's as simple as that.

Perhaps some time in the future I might consider another adventure abroad, but it'll probably be closer to home. Perhaps France, or England. It all depends on what offers come my way. The funny thing is, after my trip to the US it was like I had made my point, so a huge sense of urgency and competition left me then and there. I set out what I wanted to do and succeeded. So for now I have no other huge ambition burning inside me. Only big projects that mostly seem like a good amount of fun to me :)

With the exception of Nick and Kotick, who isn't?

Wait...I'm worse than the devil and Hitler? I'm sad.

Well, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and say that this is as good of place as any to really introduce myself. New to the forums and podcast. The name's Eric. I love gaming and music. Two of my favorite hobbies and passions. I'm a guitarist and play in a band. We're hoping we can get it to pan out. A friend of mine, also a new member of the forums (rueler), got me to listen to the podcast. I started on IT's comeback episode (probably going to go back and listen to older ones eventually.) and I already love the show to death. I'm also into pretty much all nerdy/cool things under the sun. I love table top gaming. Nothing beats sitting around saying utter nonsense and making dumb inside jokes with a bunch of good friends.

As far as life goes: It's... going. I'm a high school graduate who hasn't had the money to get into college. The main hurdle is, I don't have a car. :/ So I've been working weekends at a mobile vet clinic doing some pen pushing. It's easy work, just really busy and can get stressful when you have a lot (read: too many) people in line giving you that "This shit's unorganized! >:[" look. But I'm working my ass off to get out of a rut. I mean, I sound like a sad sappy sucker, but I still find time to have some fun though. I'm going to try to go to Lollapalooza this year in Chicago. Saw that The Arcade Fire and Them Crooked Vultures were going to be there and I about lost it. Rumor has it that Soundgarden might have their comeback concert there too.

I've gotta say, I love the forums. You guys all seem like good people. I looked through the music thread and absolutely loved it. Same with the books and movies threads. I'm finding this seems like my kind of place. I just wish I had a better computer so I could run more PC games. My good one got fried a while ago and haven't been in the financial position to really splurge on a good PC. But still really glad to be here. When I finally go get a good one, I have a huge group I can potentially play with. :)

What a good idea for a thread!

For me, college is going ok. Its stressful but it will be worth it. I'm getting my english degree and am hoping to do something in the video game industry.

I just threw a comedy gig in my local theatre and it turned out a massive success. My first time booking/promoting. So much great feedback; I haven't blushed that much in ages when I got a thundering 'thankyou' round of applause at the end. I had amazing support in setting it up though.

also, related to previous posts: girls of the 'interested' variety seem to to be just appearing out of the woodwork at the moment. I strongly suspect it may just be down to my own perceptions and vibe (see above). Kind of don't know how to handle it, being a one-woman guy, but I can't really complain

I've gotta say, I love the forums. You guys all seem like good people. I looked through the music thread and absolutely loved it. Same with the books and movies threads. I'm finding this seems like my kind of place. I just wish I had a better computer so I could run more PC games. My good one got fried a while ago and haven't been in the financial position to really splurge on a good PC. But still really glad to be here. When I finally go get a good one, I have a huge group I can potentially play with. :)

Awww that's lovely to hear. Also: ooh another tabletop gamer; check the "non-video games" thread for sure!

I just threw a comedy gig in my local theatre and it turned out a massive success. My first time booking/promoting. So much great feedback; I haven't blushed that much in ages when I got a thundering 'thankyou' round of applause at the end. I had amazing support in setting it up though.

A friend of mine is setting up his own bi-weekly comedy event here in London (in fact it's on tomorrow). Got any tips?

A friend of mine is setting up his own bi-weekly comedy event here in London (in fact it's on tomorrow). Got any tips?

Hmm, well...

Stay in constant contact with your acts. Speak to them the day before at least, and earlier the same day for the headliner. Keep the acts happy - meet them before the show, get them a drink of water or whatever they need.

Pace the line-up carefully. Start strong, to put the audience at ease. Then vary the levels of experience and energy throughout the night, but with a gradual overall crescendo - to many high energy acts in a row will exhaust the audience. Too many deadpans will let them cool down. If you have a risky act (who some audiences just don't 'get') follow them with a safer one. This balancing act in the line-up is an art in itself.

I would suggest watching someone's set before you give them a slot. Network incessantly, get to know comics and their reputations. Get a mix of people you know can deliver and people who deserve a break. Sometimes, mostly because you are booked up, you will have to turn people down. It feels bad, but be polite and just do it, but hang on to their details. Doing a regular gig is going to put a big strain on your ability to provide fresh acts every time. The better people know you, the more will come to you before you have to go to them. Get the word out amongst the comedy community about your gig and why it is an awesome gig to play.

Make sure the venue, seating, mic and sound etc are all sorted in good time. Also work out how each comic is going to get to and from the stage, where they will pass the compere, where the mic can be moved to if it needs to be moved. It's an impossible task, but you need to try and plan out every footstep and every minute of the show ahead of time. Talk to the venue staff - if they have a sound and light tech, stage manager etc then make friends with them and ask them how best to do the stuff you want to do, but let them take charge and do their job when they need to. Help with as much of the heavy lifting as you can. Make friends with the bar staff too.

During the show, keep a clipboard to make notes and juggle the line-up at the last minute. Sods law says you will need to. Keep the compere and other comics informed of everything they need to know, but don't worry them and distract them too much. They are concentrating on their set. Find time to welcome various punters as they arrive - but make it clear that you are busy and put the show first. If you have to be an asshole and break off a conversation to do something else, so be it.

Promote! Promote more. Get a small budget for flyers, posters, ads etc. Use facebook, twitter, everything you possibly can to recruit punters. Go to other comedy nights and gush about your line-up when chatting to people. Beg, buy, threaten and cajole everyone you know into coming.

Man that was more hard work than I realised, more than it seemed at the time. Mostly I just did what needed doing at any moment. I would happily do this for a living though.

FUCK!

I think I have left my genre of choice (for clubs etc behind: Metal). Of course I still love plenty of metal bands but the rest made me want to hit people (I didn't). It finally clicked that a lot of it was essentially pop music with highly distorted guitars and growling singers.

The majority of what I have listened to in the past few weeks is pop punk (ala New Found Glory) and JRock. It feels more honest. I have no idea how I feel about this.

Maybe my brain works differently (it most likely does). Maybe it's due to my (relatively) short attention span with genres of things.

Aside: I am over the girl I mentioned previously, I saw a cute girl today but my slight revelation interrupted my approach...

^^Yo, dude. Some metal like Torche was made to pop. (less poppy example of Torche found here. ...Thinking about it now, that is one intense fucking album. God I love them.) Or

even. And you can't go wrong with Mastodon. I remember when my sisters husband played March of the Fire Ants for me for the first time when I was just a freshman in high school. My head exploded. True story. I think my favorite thing about those three bands is that they don't try too hard. Don't give up on metal just yet. There are gems around still! METAAAAAAAL! \m/ *explosion*

On the subject of women, handed a girl my number and name today. Will she reply: a Waiting Game. :violin:

Local video store is going out of business. I got a whole bunch of games at firesale prices including Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed II, Darksiders and the Saboteur.

And you can't go wrong with Mastodon.

Mastodon is cool but the singing sounds really bad on majority of the live videos. That is actually one of the better ones I have seen.

Nothing special has happened in my life since my last post. I still enjoy working in a place where my input appreciated and I'm trusted with tasks that require a bit more than than punching numbers in some program or whatever.

Mastodon is cool but the singing sounds really bad on majority of the live videos. That is actually one of the better ones I have seen.

Nothing special has happened in my life since my last post. I still enjoy working in a place where my input appreciated and I'm trusted with tasks that require a bit more than than punching numbers in some program or whatever.

Try singing like a banshee for an entire tour and not sounding terrible after a while. It catches up to you after a while.:yep: