gdf

Life

It always delights and freaks me out in equal measures when restaurants have secret menus.

In the Netherlands, Chinese restaurants have a caucasian-friendly facade with a menu consisting of familiar, safe dishes. But OUT COMES THE BINGO CARD OF DOOM as soon as a Chinese family enters, and an exotic array of dishes ranging from fried chicken feet (yes) and weird vegetables the likes of which we've never seen is rolled out in force! Scary shit.

"Chai" is Arabic for tea. To me, it sounds like you're drinking "tea tea". Don't say that out loud if you don't want to get weird looks.

</immature comment>

And "cha" is the Chinese for tea.

(SHRUGS.) Languages, man. English loves to co-opt words from other ones.

I got outbid on a pen I really wanted and now I'm grumpy about it.

As I'm on the way out from my job now and people were asking for a story about how bad my boss is, here's an example from last weekend:

On Saturday there was a listing for a rental at 7pm. It just said "Brenda". I figured that this was the Brenda who is in charge of most of the Calgary Underground Film Festival, so was prepared for some reasonably big event. However, as that was all the info that had been given to us, I couldn't really do anything other than brace myself. At about 4:30, imagine my surprise when Michael Biehn and two of his aides walked in the front doors. Now, even if you don't know him from anything else, this is the guy who played Kyle Reese in Terminator. So, kind of a big deal. Turns out that he's touring to promote a campy horror movie that he directed and the night before they had sold out the Garneau Cinema in Edmonton (the place my amazing former boss left to take over 8 months ago). The Garneau has about 200 more seats than us, making for just short of 600, so they were expecting to sell us out as well and were understandably pissed off that there was nothing on the marquee and no posters of any kind. All I could tell them was that I hadn't been told a thing and I'd get the event up on the marquee right away. Thanks to the way in which my boss handled the event, we sold a grand total of 60 tickets. The Underground festival and Biehn himself were both livid and called my boss to yell at him for a solid 45 minutes. He still refuses to admit he had anything to do with the problems the event had. It's things like this that make me fairly sure that, by the end of the year, the last independent cinema that Calgary has (this one) will be closed. Glad I'm getting out though, 'cause holy fuck I didn't know you could mismanage an event that badly.

This evening my college had its hustings for various exec roles, and the chair was fucking /shite/, letting people with shitty, unimportant questions speak above people who wanted to ask serious questions pertaining to the nature of the job.

Example (for Bar Steward):

My question idea: Both candidates have expressed an interest in getting more member of the college into the bar, creating a livelier atmosphere. However, we are but one of sixteen colleges, and we rarely see business from any of the other 15. How would you go about amending this?

Actual question asked: If you were a drink, what drink would you be?

If y'all want more people in your bar, try getting some of those, whatchacallem, Coyote Ugly girls.

In my head, I just read your post in the voice of Scruffy from Futurama. It seemed appropriate.

Gah, Miffy! What the hell is wrong with that guy? I have never organised an event, yet would do miles better than that shithead of a manager at pulling a crowd together.

Or a bloodthrirsty lynch mob after spreading false rumors about Michael Biehn. Fun.

So I bought the "Cheers" Complete DVD Boxset on eBay for £45GBP ($72) which is a good price, but not suspiciously good. (I recently bought the "Frasier" Complete Boxset for £50 odd.) But when it arrived it was just DVD-Rs with episodes downloaded off the internet on it. No matter where your moral compass points in a situation like this, it was certainly not worth £45!

I complained to the seller and he said, "send them back and I'll give you a refund".

Now this made me pause.

1. Why should I pay my own money shipping them back to help this douche go and sell this POS DVD set to someone else?

2. I couldn't believe the nerve that he would ask for these highly illegal, highly cheap, DVD rip-offs to be sent back. According to his account he'd already sold 15 of them... £675's worth! And now he's insisting on getting these POS DVD-Rs back before he'll refund me? WTF?

3. This guy's account was clearly very dubious. When I looked at it closely, he seemed like just the type of guy who would make me send the DVDs back and then not refund me. Leaving me totally fucked.

So I get in touch and say, "I don't trust you. I think you would have refunded me already if you were actually planning on doing so."

He gets belligerent, at this point, repeating his request for me to send the discs back.

So I escalate it to eBay -- which is really what I should have done straight away.

They looked into it, and now THEY are insisting that I pay to send these discs back in order to get refund. I couldn't believe it. I sent them a message asking if they missed the part where I said they were illegal copies. They asked me to call them to discuss it further...

And that's what I've just been doing. I spent 20 minutes with someone in their customer help centre explaining to me that this was their normal policy. There's nothing I can do about it... even though I'm probably breaking the law by sending these discs through the post. And I'm being forced to pay to send these illegal discs back to the seller!

I asked if there was any way I could send them proof of the fact that these are DVD-Rs, and they said that it wouldn't be possible to so in time... They've given me 10 days to send the discs back to the seller, otherwise they close the case, and they'd only accept a note from the manufacturer or the Post Office.

How freaking absurd!

The Pirate Bay gets their asses kicked, but eBay allows these things to continue. WTF?

I'm not sure if Ebay UK has different rules, but everytime I've had this happen, I've made a Paypal claim about the seller sending pirated or counterfeit items and have gotten an instant refund. By their own rules you should not have to ship it back if they are DVD R discs.

My guess is that the Ebay rep you were talking to was a lower rung idiot, which I've had happen. Usually if you just keep annoyingly telling the person that you want to talk to their supervisor, things can start happening in your favor.

EDIT: Apparently Ebay has changed the rules on this last year, so nevermind. People are annoyed that somehow Ebay can require you to return counterfeit items even though it's against the law.

Sheesh, I only buy on Ebay now for rarer stuff and ask tons of questions because I've been burned in the past, but I think more than ever I'm just going to try to dodge whatever I can. I never use Ebay to get a deal on a common item now. Always Amazon first.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Yeah, since eBay don't care, I don't see why I should. I offered to keep the DVDs if they guy refunds me part of the price I paid. I know, I know. But I've tried to make "justice" happen, and justice isn't remotely interested.

Ridicules!

But I've tried to make "justice" happen, and justice isn't remotely interested.

You could just send him back some blank DVD-Rs with tracking just to fuck with him and then he'd have to prove you sent him counterfeits of his counterfeits.

Edited by syntheticgerbil