gdf

Life

Well, my place is across the street from the Centre Georges Pompidou (beaubourg) so I'm pretty much in the middle of the thing, pretty nice hood to have a drink in. Same thing here on the anytime you'd like, is wensday right for ya ?

Fuck my Laptop has died, second one to die in the past 2 years. Fuck, now I know what I need to spend some of my loan on... fuck.

Although the Wii browser allows me access to the internet still.

After nearly 6 months on the rock and roll, I've been offered a job today, as a learning disabled outreach support worker. The salary is a little over a 1/5 from my previous job, but at least I won't be working for a load of bastards who didn't really give a shit about the security of the publicly run database they were put in charge of, and were only really interested in covering their own arses.

Signs were good early on in the interview when I was sat down in their break area with a scenario to study and fill in a shift report. 10 people charged in for a coffee break, which initially irritated the piss out of me. Still, I ignored that feeling, and they all turned out to be dead friendly people, and let me join in with what they were chatting about. I got a few tips about the upcoming interview as well - the sort of mentality the job needs, the ssort of thing I should be thinking about, as I have no prior experience whatsoever of this type of job. The people in the job were very unassuming and seemed nice enough.

So, onward with the career change, although I won't be leaving security far behind... as soon as my sciatica is better and I'm up to speed with Xcode, there are a few iphone apps bursting to be written.

Game on! :)

Fantastic news, Scrobbs. Nice one! :)

My little update for this week: in short, my debit card got cloned at some point recently and I was suddenly down £200 ($330 USD) I wasn't expecting on Monday morning. Thought we'd been stupid and miscalculated this month, so got a small overdraft extension and tried not to worry about it.

Checked the balance on Tuesday morning and a further ~£100 had suddenly vanished! Then I knew something weird was going on, because everything we were expecting to go out had appeared on our statement the same morning.

Mrs V swung into action, phoned the bank - also her employer of many years - and we discovered someone had made payments to a very dodgy debt collection agency using my card details. Morons; if they're paying back bad debt, they'll have a debtor's record with the agency and it'll be easy to find out who they are... assuming those dodgy bastards are compliant with the fraud team at our bank. :fart:

Anyway, long story short: I phoned my bank to get my card cancelled and they're refunding the stolen money--though it could take up to 5 working days and we're basically broke until then. So bread and water for a few days, methinks... ;(

Congrats again Scrobbs, and Wrestle: Gutted :(

A *lot* of people I know have had cards cloned this year :/

Woo: I run a half marathon on Sunday. There's nothing quite like being on closed roads, running to music surrounded by thousands of other runners.

Meh: I've managed virtually no training and missed the last week of it due to a headcold.

Bah: It's going to be 18 Celsius already when the starting pistol goes at 10 a.m. on Sunday morning. I think I'll be lucky to beat last year's time of 1:55, let alone the 1:45 I was aiming for :/

So I've also gone to the gym two times now and it wasn't completely horrible. But right now I can barely hold up my arms.

Fuck, yes. Laptop is under an extened warranty, due to nvidia making a shoddy set of graphics cards, it's being collected tomorrow for a replacement motherboard. May still build myself a desktop though.

This calls for getting very drunk, which I shall do on Monday.

Quick update on the mouth situation. Aesthetically, I'm completely better. I look like myself and everything is cool. Internally, I still have one very loose tooth and it's looking more and more likely that I'll need a root canal. It's in pretty constant pain right now, throbbing continuously, and gets worse with any kind of temperature change. Other than that, life is going pretty good. The film festival is coming in two weeks (holy shit, two weeks. I didn't realize that until I typed it.) and school has just kicked off, meaning my time is now being filled pretty much completely. Very little time for games, but I'm enjoying myself anyway.

How can one prevent his credit card from being cloned?

Wrestle's Guide to Counter-Fraud and Card Security

1. Never use your credit/debit card, ever; instead, burn it on arrival.
  2. [see 1]

Wrestle's Guide to Counter-Fraud and Card Security

1. Never use your credit/debit card, ever; instead, burn it on arrival.
  2. [see 1]

It could have been cloned before during transit to you.

It could have been cloned before during transit to you.

Funnily enough, that's how it happened last time; someone working for the national postal service was stealing cards at a sorting office and syphoning them off to some sort of petty cartel. :fart:

Kudos on the job/laptop/mouth news, everybody.

I went off my antidepressants today. I feel very different. Not so impulsive, not as desirous of junk food, more emotionally flat. Over all I think it's a good change for reasons I can't explain with the kind of brevity I believe a message board requires. There are mild physical side effects, but I think I can tough 'em out.

I went off my antidepressants today. I feel very different. Not so impulsive, not as desirous of junk food, more emotionally flat. Over all I think it's a good change for reasons I can't explain with the kind of brevity I believe a message board requires. There are mild physical side effects, but I think I can tough 'em out.

If there is good news, that is good news !

So N0wak and I met up, t'was pretty cool, hang out together grabbed a drink, talked about lives and video games, if n0wak is in your area, I recommand you meet up with him he's an upthumb kinda fellow

Good luck, Groucho. No idea what that's like, but wish you well all the same. :yep:

Wish you all the best with that. Hope things have evened out enough for you to stay off them :clap:

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but just in case: You should never stop anti-depressant medication suddenly (which is kind of how you made it sound). You should taper off so that the side-effects are reduced. Good luck!

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but just in case: You should never stop anti-depressant medication suddenly (which is kind of how you made it sound). You should taper off so that the side-effects are reduced. Good luck!

You're absolutely right, but I'm being a bad boy. The withdrawal symptoms are nothing major. I still have the pills if it gets bad enough that I need to break down and take them. I guess I'm turning into a B-movie character, because my perrogative is: "This is just something I need to do. Now, leave the fucking car running."

Well, it's not just the "side-effects"... you don't really want to be messing around with your brain by suddenly changing its chemical balance. By suddenly stopping you can end up making yourself feel worse than before you began. You can't just start taking them again and expect it to sort itself out, either.

Sorry to sound preachy, but you should be more careful, especially as it sounds like you've not discussed this with your doctor :-/

Well, it's not just the "side-effects"... you don't really want to be messing around with your brain by suddenly changing its chemical balance. By suddenly stopping you can end up making yourself feel worse than before you began. You can't just start taking them again and expect it to sort itself out, either.

Sorry to sound preachy, but you should be more careful, especially as it sounds like you've not discussed this with your doctor :-/

Well you're in luck (or something) because after much familial nagging, I went back on the goddamn stupid pills. They're still working the way they used to (yes, I can tell the difference). I do think you were a bit presumptuous with your last post, but I appreciate your concern. By the way...next time we're both on xbox live, how about we do some co-op or something? Do you have 'Splosion Man or Castle Crashers?

P.S.

I have to wonder based on the way you talk about them if you are/have been on this kind of medication yourself? Most people who are on that kind of shit seem to rebel and try to go off it sometimes even though we're not supposed to (this isn't my first time running for the fence, if you know what I mean).