gdf

Life

:clap:

Excellent, I've never laughed that much at a YouTube video :yep:

MY FRIEND JUST TALKED ME INTO GOING TO THE GYM!!!

I don't like gyms. I like bicycling and running. But can't do that throughout the year here so I usually gain weight during winter.

So I have properly moved into the house where I will be living for the next year, which means that consoles are set up and posters are up. All is pretty sweet at the moment.

I'm glad because I finished an article I've been meaning to write for weeks and pitched it :woohoo:

I found out this week that a couple of guys I know used to work on phones for a utility company. They would sometimes put on American accents, and speak very slowly and clearly while pretending to be automated phone systems, saying things like:

"If you are calling with regard to a County Court Judgment, say, NO JAIL"

:grin:

I would be pushing really hard at training this week since the half marathon is on the 13th, but I have a bloody cold and don't want to make it worse :fart:

Glad to hear you're getting shit together again Thunderpeel. Ups and downs all around for me lately. Three weeks ago I learned that one of my professors had nominated me for a scholarship. I got $2700 that I didn't apply for, and the knowledge that a (anonymous) prof thought I'm fucking awesome. Was very proud of myself over that. Then a week ago I gave my two weeks notice at my hated HMV job, as I'm now a projectionist and have both my schooling and the impending Calgary International Film Festival to think about. Very happy about leaving that place. Then I got news that the theater that I left a year and a half ago because the owners were being stubborn jackasses and trying to intimidate people had tried to intimidate the CIFF board and pressure them for more money. They are now no longer a part of the Festival, and will likely never be again. Serves them right, and I got a bit of a laugh at their expense. Seriously, I know from having worked there that the Fest makes them enough money in those two weeks to run the theater for a year. Good luck now, jerks. I also bought a trumpet for $6. It's a good trumpet too, for a beginner.

So yeah, all things seem to be running smoothly. As I'm walking home last night from work then, I have the Thumbcast playing on my ipod. I've been going through the archives and was listening to episode 19 I think. Anyway, I don't hear these two chav assholes yelling things at me from the doorway of a bar that's about a block away from my theater. I'll also mention now that I had just finished the evening shift, so this was about 11:45pm. They were pretty damn drunk, and apparently took exception to the fact that I was wearing green socks. I ignored them and kept walking. Next thing I know, I'm on the receiving end of a sucker punch to the mouth. They did not like being ignored. Once I realized these guys were trying to beat my ass in, I was able to react. I realized that if I hurt a couple of drunk guys, it would be my word against theirs, so I decided to play the defensive. The more drunk of the two kept trying to kick me and missing, so I only really had the punching guy to worry about. I managed to grab his wrist about every 9 out of 10 punches he threw and just twist him off to the side. He didn't get the hint that I didn't want to fight, and had successfully landed a couple of glancing blows. Nothing to worry about though. Some dude across the street noticed all this, and came running to help me out. He completely blindsided the guy trying to punch me, knocking him into a wall.

The guy was down for about 5 minutes. My helpful new friend wanted to keep going at him, but I calmed him down so that nobody got seriously hurt. The kicking guy looked worried, so I yelled at him to just help his damn friend and get the fuck away. He did, and when I saw the punching guy was able to stand I felt a whole lot better, knowing that the authorities would likely not need to be involved. I thanked the guy who'd run after me, and noticed while shaking his hand that I was covered in blood. Apparently that initial sucker punch had done more damage than I'd realized at the time. His girlfriend, who had just arrived on the scene, offered me a ride to the hospital. He said to her that he was pretty drunk and didn't feel like he should drive, and I applauded his intelligence and walked home. I soon ended up at a 24 hour drug store on the way to buy some antiseptic, bandages, and peroxide. I felt like I'd just fallen off of my bike, and I figured that if that were the case I wouldn't have bothered with a hospital, so why should I now that the culprit was a fist rather than the pavement? Got home, cleaned myself off (the blood was all from my cut-up lips. My teeth had been jammed into them pretty good) and went to bed.

Waking up this morning, I noticed that I had two loose teeth where there were no loose teeth before. Not having to be at work until 5:00, I decided to see if I could get a quick appointment with my dentist. Got in about 2 hours after I called and had some xrays and such taken. One of my teeth had the nerve sprained, so I can't eat anything more substantial than mush until the sprain has healed. The other one is ok, according to the x-ray, but noticeably loose and does not respond to temperature changes. This led my dentist to tell me that it was either in shock or the nerve was dying. I'll go back on Tuesday (during Grand Thumb Auto. Grrrr...) to have some tests run on it again. If I can feel temperature change then, it's ok. If not, the nerve will probably have died and I'll need a root canal. Also, apparently when you put hydrogen peroxide on a cut on your lip, it causes it to look a lot like a cold sore. My dentist now thinks I have herpes. I switched to just using polysporin and now it just looks like a regular cut, but too late I guess.

After the dentist, I went shopping for back-to-school stuff with my girlfriend. Even though she's in her second year at uni, she still loves to make sure she has an amazing outfit to wear on the first day. I don't share that compulsion, but I'm happy to oblige her. Pretty fun afternoon actually.

The moral: Sometimes life gives you a completely random $2700, sometimes life gives you a root canal. Sometimes these things can occur within a month of each other. I love my girlfriend, I love my job, and I love my schoolwork. I guess if the universe wants to send some drunk guy to punch my tooth out, it's earned that right.

That guy deserved some attention from the authorities, if you ask me!

Yeeps. Glad to hear you're ok, though. Hope you don't end up with a root canal. Life can be pretty weird like that sometimes.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Amazing story, Miffy. You acted very cool in that situation, totally like the warrior-monk we're all trying to be :) Awesome.

I wouldn't have shown the same restraint, consider yourself applauded for you calm handling of the situation. Your micro-biographies are always hugely compelling reading, Miffy!

You handled that way better than I would have Miffy

Given that there were two of them and they were drunk, there's probably a good chance any authorities that got involved would have come down on your side. However, it could still have been months of hassle.

However, it could still have been months of hassle.

I still think things like that should be reported. I know it's inconvenient but the next time those two see someone in green socks they might have a weak heart or something. Or they may decide a knife is in order.

Still, from the sounds of it, Miffy wasn't in as good shape as he thought.

Even if it's too late for those guys, the police would probably still be grateful to know it happened. I've been attacked in the past, and nearly all of my friends have too. I happened to be complaining this to a police friend of mine, and about how the police should do something about it. And he asked me a simple question: "Did you report it?". No, I said. "Well, we can't do anything about crime we don't know anything about. No-one's going to put more police on the streets if they've got no reason to do it."

So since then I've been determined to report such things. Except I haven't been attacked since then... Which is a good thing!

I think miffy is a pretty cool guy, eh fights tough and doesn't afraid of wearing green socks.

(Seriously Miffy, you sound like a badass and a great guy. I wish your teeth well. You don't have to pay for it in Canada do you? I busted a front tooth at a concert on someone's head when I was 15 and killed it by waiting too long to go to the dentist and ended up with my parents getting a big bill for an eventual root canal and crown.)

My dental is insured by me. The government here covers emergency care, as well as checkups and the like, but dental is considered outside their realm of responsibility. Shouldn't end up costing me too much though.

Months of hassle or not, I would have reported the incident to the police were it not for the factor of the nice guy running in to help me out. As he laid out my aggressor fairly conclusively, I didn't want to get this guy in any kind of trouble for helping a guy he'd never met before. Otherwise, I totally agree. The police can't do much if you don't let them know what the hell is going on.

Months of hassle or not, I would have reported the incident to the police were it not for the factor of the nice guy running in to help me out. As he laid out my aggressor fairly conclusively, I didn't want to get this guy in any kind of trouble for helping a guy he'd never met before.
yeah, you did the right thing

Months of hassle or not, I would have reported the incident to the police were it not for the factor of the nice guy running in to help me out. As he laid out my aggressor fairly conclusively, I didn't want to get this guy in any kind of trouble for helping a guy he'd never met before. Otherwise, I totally agree. The police can't do much if you don't let them know what the hell is going on.

It's crazy to think that your mysterious saviour could have gotten into trouble... Quite annoying, actually! (I have to say that it's amazing anyone got involved at all! I guess it's good that you had the foresight to be defensive -- otherwise it would have been unclear who the aggressor was to an outsider.)

I was suggesting that you could still report a random attack now, though. It's useful for police statistics and probably wouldn't go any further than that. (Just my 2c.)

Ah! Tres bon joueux le traversaire le Mer de Atlanteanne! Quelle apprecitation le velocite de acquirement de connection pour la Net International!

So I'm in Paris. Le hi.

We should definitely have a drink together if you'd like sir ! Maybe meet with the Vimes !

We should definitely have a drink together if you'd like sir ! Maybe meet with the Vimes !

Yes we should! I'm available anywhere and anytime. I'm in the far north end of the 16e, but this is probably the worst place for any meet-up so I'm open to suggestions.