gdf

Life

Forgot to file something for the patent, trying to figure out which Application Cover Data Sheet it is I need. You know what? Bureaucrats are the most evil people on the planet. Who made sure all those wars happened? Bureaucrats, they ran all the little things to support the war and see it happen at all. Someone needed to keep track of drafts and enlistments, someone needed to make sure people got paid and fed and armed. All bureaucrats. And sure, Hitler ORDERED the Jews and bunch of other exterminated. But who got it done quickly and efficiently without question? Bureaucrats. Stalin killed even more people than Hitler, and how? Because he had more bureaucrats at his disposal. If you want something done, no matter how horrifying and awful and universe ending it may be, a bureaucrat is there to help you do it.

And they have there own language, one designed to be utterly indecipherable, even by the other bureaucrats. It's designed specifically to be as vague, indistinct, and unhelpful as possible. Hermes Conrad was secretly more awful than Bender and Evil Bender combined I say!

Today marks the last day of my vacation. Tomorrow it is back to TPS reports.

There we're two things I wanted to do this vacation:

- Finish up my house some more

- Reduce my backlog

I failed at both. I've played a lot of games, but due to humble bundle and the steam sale my backlog hasn't reduced at all. And due to this I still haven't done some of the things in my house.

Ah well, that's what vacation is for.

My vacation is pretty much over as well. I'm technically not back at school until Tuesday, but am currently in the process of gathering up references and putting together my application for the Calgary Board of Education. Exciting, and nerve-wracking. I also have no fucking clue what a teacher CV is supposed to look like. At least people are agreeing to reference for me pretty quickly. That's a bit of a confidence-builder. It feels weird to be putting in my application nearly 4 months before I have the degree, but that's the process. I guess they figure my grades aren't going to dip too hard between now and then. At least I got a bit of a break before getting back into it.

Huh, so does the Board of Education assign you to a school or something? We apply for teaching positions directly.

Small update: I'm still alive & kicking! So far I'm right on track with my recovery and I'm feeling fine for someone who had his chest cut open and his heart valve replaced not 3 days ago :D

Did they actually have to lobster open your chest, or was it less invasive than that? I'm glad you're doing well, man. :) Here's to a speedy recovery!

Huh, so does the Board of Education assign you to a school or something? We apply for teaching positions directly.

Yeah, the board hires you and puts you where they need you. You can request specific places, but there are no promises. This is why it is entirely possible that I spent my school time training to teach early elementary school and end up teaching high school biology or something. Fun.

Ysbreker, awesome news! Glad you're doing well!

Woah. It never occurred to me things could be done like that. It's really weird to me that you don't choose the places you apply to. Is this within the city you live, or can they decide to send you to somewhere in the north of Saskatchewan? :D

Small update: I'm still alive & kicking! So far I'm right on track with my recovery and I'm feeling fine for someone who had his chest cut open and his heart valve replaced not 3 days ago :D

Congrats! Very glad you survived that, and hope you recover quickly :)

Miffy, I hope you end up teaching kids the same age; you've always seemed delighted with it.

Woah. It never occurred to me things could be done like that. It's really weird to me that you don't choose the places you apply to. Is this within the city you live, or can they decide to send you to somewhere in the north of Saskatchewan? :D

Nah, it's all within a district. Teaching certificates are province-specific too, so I'd need to challenge an exam for that province's standards if I were to go to Saskatchewan, Ontario, BC, etc. I'll be applying to Calgary, Foothills, Rockyview, and maybe a couple of others (the latter two are small towns and communities around the city that aren't big enough for their own district, so share a couple). Honestly, I assume that one of my first post-substitute positions will be as a French teacher, since Albertans tend to be anti-French and the fact that I'm bilingual will help schools to meet that federal requirement. It's a mandatory class from grade 4 on, and the hostility towards French-Canada that is prominent in the West means that more often than not we need to import our French teachers from other provinces. That I'm local, bilingual, and a male who wants to work with the pre-high school set are all things that work in my favour. The first one because it's convenient, the second and third because schools have quotas to fill for that. Fingers crossed that I won't be stuck in limbo for too long thanks to all of that.

One day I'll actually finish my damn thesis and start looking for teaching jobs.

Before venting this, I will freely confess: I do not understand hooks when it comes to web development with Wordpress.

I spent the night trying to make a Wordpress theme to work with WooCommerce, and it has broken me. I'm used to having one weird CSS layout problem to bang my head on per project, but this just confronted me with several dozen of them at once and my mind broke a little.

The CSS it defaults to is a giant block of characters, the like of which I haven't seen since the horror of Frontpage HTML in the late 90s. It also does some bizarre things, like setting product image width to "48% auto;". Overriding it with your own CSS, as they breezily explain you can do in their messy documentation, often doesn't work. Disabling Woo's default CSS only takes one line in functions.php, but doing so suddenly throws up many page layout problems. It also builds pages from approximately one billion more tiny PHP files than Wordpress itself, and occasionally makes it almost impossible to tell which bits it's building which pages from without endlessly searching through files by text content. Between its structure, and the Wordpress/Woo back end including some unfortunate dead ends, it's like they took the worst aspects of Wordpress and amplified them.

And, fuck it, I'll pay my brother to do properly what I can't, but that's a pretty weird and frustrating feeling. This is the first time in a very long time I've tried something and found I just cannot do it and am not improving.

One day I'll actually finish my damn thesis and start looking for teaching jobs.

My first instinct was to "like" this, because it is me. Too goddamn much internet...

Did they actually have to lobster open your chest, or was it less invasive than that? I'm glad you're doing well, man. :) Here's to a speedy recovery!

Yeah they cut through my breast bone and dove in to replace my heart valve and part of my aorta. Another scar for the chicks to dig :) (They still do that, right?)

Also i think I forgot to congratulate Subbes on her new job, wishing Miffy all he best on his jobhunt and I feel sorry for whoever forced you to use woocommerce, nachimir. Can't you try something like shopify?

They definitely still do that Ys ;)

So it's not just me that thinks WooCommerce is a twisted, horrible mess? :)

Yeah they cut through my breast bone and dove in to replace my heart valve and part of my aorta. Another scar for the chicks to dig :) (They still do that, right?)

Also i think I forgot to congratulate Subbes on her new job, wishing Miffy all he best on his jobhunt and I feel sorry for whoever forced you to use woocommerce, nachimir. Can't you try something like shopify?

Holy shit. Good to know you're doing well.

They definitely still do that Ys ;)

So it's not just me that thinks WooCommerce is a twisted, horrible mess? :)

By what you described it does sound like a convoluted mess :/ (I haven't got any experience with wordpress tjough so I don't know how messy that is by itself)

I deem your survival to be preferable to your demise, Ysbreker, and therefore laud your good judgement in deciding to live.

Moving house is sad and stressful and scary. I'm freaking out a little bit at having to leave Tallahassee.

On the plus side I won an award at work. Leave on a high note and all that.