ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

The dragon should've been killed at the end of the previous movie. Having him around for this one made no sense and gutted the end of the last movie, which had a completely stupid action sequence to make up for no dragon killing.

I don't know, the dwarves solving their dragon problem via a heroic smithing sequence was the only thing I liked about that movie. Which is why I'm not going to see the new one (other than being full up on long, British, slightly racist war movies after Lawrence of Arabia).

My biggest complaint about The Hobbit has been "not enough dwarves", so yeah, the heroic smithing scene is awesome.

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Whiplash is really good. Between that and the soundtrack to Birdman, I have had an amazing few weeks of listening to music in the movies.

There are never enough dwarves in anything.

Saw the third Hobbit tonight, and there was a satisfactory amount of dwarves. Always could have been more, but they got to take center stage in a lot of scenes in a bunch of ways that they hadn't previously.  They get to ride warpigs and wargoats and be generally dwarf badasses. 

It was actually my favorite of the three movies, but then I didn't particularly care for the first two, so the bar was set low.

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Whiplash is really good. Between that and the soundtrack to Birdman, I have had an amazing few weeks of listening to music in the movies.

Whiplash is fucking great.

Funny, tho they both have amazing soundtracks, the editing between the two films couldn't be any more different.

The long take of Birdman vs the fast paced editing of Whiplash. I think it would be interesting to see the films back-to-back; two different schools of thought on film.

I just saw What We Do At Midnight and was left pretty much speechless. What a crazy ride. Well-recommended. A mockumentary about vampires in New Zealand by the Tall Conchord (Jemaine). Featuring Werewolf Murray.

I just saw What We Do At Midnight and was left pretty much speechless. What a crazy ride. Well-recommended. A mockumentary about vampires in New Zealand by the Tall Conchord (Jemaine). Featuring Werewolf Murray.

I tried to look it up, but it didn't google. I guess it's "What we do in the shadows"?

I'd been avoiding that because most of the stuff Jemaine has gotten involved with since the conchords took off (heh) has been pretty garbage. Will have to check it out.

Yeah, it's What We Do In The Shadows, and it is genuinely pretty good.

I tried to look it up, but it didn't google. I guess it's "What we do in the shadows"?

Oh duh, sorry. I've been mixing that title up ever since we decided to go see it.

I'll say it's probably not something everyone will enjoy if only due to the horror elements, but to me it was excellent especially for the surprising way it handles its emotional beats. The dry uncomfortable Office-y humour layers strangely with that.

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing The Interview.

I'd been avoiding that because most of the stuff Jemaine has gotten involved with since the conchords took off (heh) has been pretty garbage. Will have to check it out.

Well if you like Taika Waitit at all you should be covered.

Osmosich is right. You need to enjoy dry humour to get the most out.

Well if you like Taika Waitit at all you should be covered.

Well, I loved the shit out of Boy. Which is also a film I'd recommend to any non-kiwis.

Just finished watching season 1 of Gravity Falls. What an awesome show! Kind of wish I hadn't rushed through it so I had more left to watch.

Every time Candy speaks, it's really weird, because I will always associate that voice with BMO.

We watched Maleficent for the second time tonight, since its out on disc now. I originally wrote up a bunch of thoughts in the Feminism thread, if you're interested in my original take on it.  It is a movie that has really grown on me since seeing it in the theater, whereas I was really ambivalent about it originally. 

I think when I first saw it, I was in such shock at the themes it was dealing with, and how they were presented, that I was distracted for about two-thirds of the movie just analyzing it.  This time, knowing full well what would happen, it was much easier to just indulge the spectacle of it. 

I'm just amazed that it exists at all. 

Just finished watching season 1 of Gravity Falls. What an awesome show! Kind of wish I hadn't rushed through it so I had more left to watch.

Every time Candy speaks, it's really weird, because I will always associate that voice with BMO.

Gravity Falls season 2 steps it up big time. They have an impressive thing going where the ongoing mythology is always used to develop characters, which means that big shocking! swerves! end up also being really great character moments.

I wasn't into Fight Club enough to have theories, but this site (via @gwarek) has an interesting theory that

Bob and Marla are also Jack's alter egos.

Just re-watched and read the site after. While some of the details seem far-fetched, it makes sense overall. Makes me think whether there are any signs in the Movie that could tell which scenes are real and which ones are imagined.

Ha, I didn't put that together until you mentioned it. That's pretty cool.

It's like Lost, if Lost had been written wholly by people who understood what worked about Lost.

I hadn't heard of Gravity Falls before this thread. This is great! The humour and the way they do locations remind me a lot of 90's Lucasarts adventures.

This is why I wonder sometimes why cartoons are separated in their own thread here. They're still TV/Movies (albeit a different form of them), and it's not like the stuff that gets posted here is all tonally consistent that adding cartoons to the mix would seem ill fitting.

I made cartoons a separate thread because I like reading about them without having to dig through this thread. There's no reason not to talk about them in both threads, though.

Saw Inherent Vice last night and I'm still not sure what to make of it. The trailer and some of the early comments I saw described the movie as PTA's version of the Big Lebowski, a madcap, zany movie. It was definitely not that. The movie keeps all of the plot beats of the Pynchon novel, but drops the interesting commentary on California at the end of the 60s that made me love the book. I wasn't expecting any of that, not that it's necessarily bad, it just made watching the movie such a strange experience. I'll probably see it again and enjoy it more, now that I know what I'm getting in to.

I saw it near Times Square because that was one of the few theaters in NYC playing it, so there were a lot of holiday tourists who wandered in looking for any movie to watch. Subsequently, this particular screening of Inherent Vice had the most walkouts I've ever seen in a movie. I guess that system of going to whatever movie is playing, sight unseen, can really backfire.

I made cartoons a separate thread because I like reading about them without having to dig through this thread. There's no reason not to talk about them in both threads, though.

Ohhh, that does make a lot of sense. I tend to skim through posts in this thread pretty often.