ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Alamo San Antonio did not require reservations when I went about 2 years ago.

Maybe it's because I'm an introvert, but I pretty much decide to see a movie weeks ahead of time to mentally prepare myself to encounter a group of people larger than ten. Reservering that far ahead to get the perfect spot sounds delightful.

Kim Mi-Kyung is quickly becoming my favorite actor. I think it might have to do with her tendency to be in every korean drama I watch. At this point, I'm just waiting for her to show up when I start a new series.

I watched this last night and it's adorable and charming and good.

Do you know how an american can watch it?

I suppose the main part of it is just the capacity and population problem, which I think is the motivator for making it mandatory, because like I said I don't know if the Alamos in other cities require the reserved seating in advance. You could potentially show up to one and get a reserved seat if it's open or drive to a theatre in advance to the ticket booth, pick out your seat, and avoid the online fee. But almost everything is sold out a couple of days in advance at Alamo especially if it's a big release, anything on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and harder to see films with limited showings. If you want to see a movie that has a limited release and has one day available (as the usual Alamo schedule goes, when they find time in their heart to not have another superhero movie), then you almost need 2-3 weeks heads up sometimes.

I don't go to theatre that often, but usually if the movie just opened it's tough to get seats, and in some cases for really popular ones, but I haven't had a problem getting seats on the same day. Mostly my friend buys tickets though (he has some kind of thing going on which allows him to get them a lot cheaper) a couple of days in advance. But sometimes I just go see something on a whim and haven't had problems with seating, so yeah maybe it's the population to theatres ratio or something that is the problem.

The Phantom of the Paradise is that kind of 70s era "this is weird and experimental and unpolished" kind of brilliant where I'm not entirely certain if it's good or not, but I think I liked it.

It's also unique for being a musical where I absolutely can't remember a single tune or lyric from the whole thing despite just watching it.

I've been trying to get into RiffTrax ever since it came out, but I can't find anything that tickles me the way MST3k did. A few of the shorts have been okay, but every full movie I've tried has left me disappointed. Any suggestions for where to start? I've already tried Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, and Night of the Living Dead.

I've been trying to get into RiffTrax ever since it came out, but I can't find anything that tickles me the way MST3k did. A few of the shorts have been okay, but every full movie I've tried has left me disappointed. Any suggestions for where to start? I've already tried Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, and Night of the Living Dead.

People seem to like the Twilight one.

I've never really been able to get into Rifftrax that much either. It tends to be a little too mean-spirited for me. It probably also doesn't help that since they have to sync the audio with people's copy of the movie, they can't do any editing or interstitial bits. I don't know if you've tried Cinematic Titanic already, but it feels a lot closer to the spirit of MST3K to me.

I've watched a few, I find the "bad" movies are still much more enjoyable with RT than "good" movies.  Reign of Fire is probably my favorite I've watched. 

Guys, Friday Night Dinner is back!

This was one of the funniest British comedies for me last year, and season 3 continues to be hilarious.

I guess this is like the British attempt at Modern Family? (which is also great)

It's kinda crass at times, and the awkward factor is dialed up to 11 in some scenes, but the way it all plays out is hilarious. Has anyone else seen this show? This was one of my favourite scenes from the most recent episode:

what is the deal with this worm crawling out of an eyeball ad/billboard i keep seeing everywhere for some dumb tv show or movie

it's so gross and every time i see it i want to die

That's for The Strain, the new tv show based on the books that Del Toro co-wrote. I read the first one, it was okay. The show looks alright. It's got David Bradley in as a series regular.

I listened to Rifftrax for awhile after it came out but eventually gave up. Others are right -- the jokes are a lot more mean-spirited than on MST3K and rely way more on fart/puke gags (which I know MST3K had as well but at least those were counterbalanced with decent writing).

There's a lot less charm behind mocking a $300 million modern blockbuster than with mocking a legitimate 60s B-movie. Rifftrax is too similar to angry nerd on Internet makes YouTube video where he YELLS LOUDLY about plotholes in the prequel movies.

I'm in the mood for old horror movies lately, the kind you might see Vincent Price in. But I have no idea what to watch that I haven't already seen.

I'm in the mood for old horror movies lately, the kind you might see Vincent Price in. But I have no idea what to watch that I haven't already seen.

You just touched my telltale heart.

VINCENT PRICE MOVIES RANKED

1.The Abominable Dr. Phibes

2. Masque of the Red Death

3. The Raven (if you like campy fun)

4. The Fly

5. Theatre of Blood

6. Witchfinder General

7. Madhouse

8. House on Haunted Hill

9. Tales of Terror

10. The Tingler

11. The Haunted Palace

12. Fall of the House of Usher

Vincent Price is my favorite human. The saddest day of my life was when I found out he wasn't gay.

Vincent Price is my favorite human. The saddest day of my life was when I found out he wasn't gay.

He's also dead so that's like, another black mark in the "marry Vincent Price" plan notebook.

You just touched my telltale heart.

VINCENT PRICE MOVIES RANKED

1.The Abominable Dr. Phibes

2. Masque of the Red Death

3. The Raven (if you like campy fun)

4. The Fly

5. Theatre of Blood

6. Witchfinder General

7. Madhouse

8. House on Haunted Hill

9. Tales of Terror

10. The Tingler

11. The Haunted Palace

12. Fall of the House of Usher

I'd actually seen nearly all of these already! I ended up picking The Haunted Palace and watching that before reading this, but maybe tomorrow I'll watch some of the other ones I haven't seen.

He's also dead so that's like, another black mark in the "marry Vincent Price" plan notebook.

Are you kidding? Marrying Vincent Price's corpse would be, like, the most Vincent Price thing I could do.

So I've watched two of the three parts of Tales of Terror and man, Vincent Price looks weird with no moustache in the first one and that second one with Peter Lorre goes on way, way too long.

Pacific Rim 2 is happening! I re-watched the first one and it's still ace. If only they'd cut out the

scientist-goes-to-Hong-Kong-to-meet-Ron-Perlman thread - just have the JJ Abrams scientist connect with the kaiju brain right at the end and get the pertinent info immediately -

it would have felt a lot tighter and the sub-Top Gun stuff elsewhere would have gone down smoother.

So I've watched two of the three parts of Tales of Terror and man, Vincent Price looks weird with no moustache in the first one and that second one with Peter Lorre goes on way, way too long.

I love the second story. Price at his swishiest, Lorre at his grubbiest.

Pacific Rim 2 is happening! I re-watched the first one and it's still ace. If only they'd cut out the

scientist-goes-to-Hong-Kong-to-meet-Ron-Perlman thread - just have the JJ Abrams scientist connect with the kaiju brain right at the end and get the pertinent info immediately -

it would have felt a lot tighter and the sub-Top Gun stuff elsewhere would have gone down smoother.

I actually like the spoilered stuff, if only because it's feels borderline out of place and stands in such stark contrast to everything else.  It kind of makes it a kaiju movie, in a way.

I should really buy Pacific Rim.  I like having an action movie on hand that I can throw in when I just want to doze off watching something familiar when my brain is feeling too wound up.  For awhile it was The Dark Knight, but I've burned out on using it.