ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Pretty good? That trailer was turning out shit until 1:20 when it became awesome.

I just hope it's not a funny bit but the insanity is actually part of the whole movie.

I dunno, early bits are fairly reminiscent of Mad Max as I remember it from the first time I watched all three movies a few years ago. And then at about thirty seconds that cartoon psycho kamikaze blows up a car with two spears. And then I genuinely laughed out loud at the car flying up in the air in the sandstorm and then exploding and. That's maybe a little over the top compared to what I remember, but I don't care. Whenever I laugh at ridiculous action movie bullshit, I'm in.

Yeah I'm in. 

Of course there's always the chance all the best bits are already in that trailer. Eh, it's a risk I'm willing to take!

What's weird is that the original Mad Max is set in the open fields of a police state, with Max as a police officer whose partner was recently killed. (The psychopathic road gangs were definitely in the first one, though.)

It's apparently all filmed in Victoria, but there are parts of Mad Max 1 that I swear were filmed close to where I grew up.

Max 1 also had psychos. In Max 2 they just dressed up more. Although there are much larger differences between the two. This new Max is closer to the road warrior.

I just watched Snowpiercer and that movie's great 'cause it's like that hallway murder scene in Oldboy combined with Bioshock on a train without superpowers except for the one who does have a superpower and also way less subtle about its social commentary.

I've been watching the game which is a BBC production, but BBC worldwide so somehow we get it in north america before the brits do.

It's kinda like a low rent Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as tv series? I'm liking it a lot as I'm a sucker for tweedy cold war espionage stuff.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-game/

I saw The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies. It's pretty fun, features a few cheesy Jackson Moments, and features one hell of a Quick Time Event. But I think it was worth seeing in theatre.

The movie gets right into events so if you don't refresh yourself beforehand the pacing in the opening moments can feel a little hurried. Also I really enjoyed the hand drawn concept art in the credits, it was a nice touch.

I don't think I'm going to talk spoilers yet; I now also feel a keen need to start up Dwarf Fortress and bring war to the elves and goblins while digging too deep and too greedily. >: D

Just watched Tyrannosaur, really brutal and great movie.

Trigger warning for:

Domestic violence, rape, animal cruelty.

@Merus ...Yep a heap of the driving scenes in Mad Max were shot around a town called Clunes in central Victoria...also my dad worked on the cars in the first film ;)

The first Conan is amazing, and I genuinely don't think it would work with anyone else.  Of course, Arnold doesn't have to say very much.  I'd probably rather go back and watch Arnold's 80s action movies versus some of the other 80s stars. 

Oh yeah, Conan was amazing. I hope they will find a way to remake it in a way that does it justice whenever they get around to that.

I watched the three seasons of Girls in one week. It was really good.

I watched the three seasons of Girls in one week. It was really good.

I experienced a bit of slowdown and fatigue in the first half of season two. Did you perceive that at all, and if so does it pick up again?

Season 2 of Girls was weird. A lot of it just didn't work for a lot of people, me included. Season one was kind of about the city, then season two takes a hard left and is basically about Hannah. It was jarring and awkward.

Season 3 picks back up, though. It focuses a lot more on the relationships the girls all have with each other and goes to some really interesting places, and I think it was the funniest season yet.

Oh yeah, Conan was amazing. I hope they will find a way to remake it in a way that does it justice whenever they get around to that.

You know they did a new Conan film in 2011 with Jason Momoa, right?

Jason Momoa played a character on Stargate Atlantis named Ronan Dex who was basically that show's Conan (he even had a sword).  I cannot help but think of the new Conan film as Ronan (the Barbarian).

Still watching Nikita (almost done with Season 2) and I still love it. Started watching Broadchurch, which was mentioned in the best TV shows thread. That show is pretty sweet! I did a search for the show in this thread and saw that weird Gracepoint trailer. That is totally bizarre. But I'm loving Broadchurch and want to just watch it all tonight in some dumb marathon.

Also, Girls Season 2 was painfully awkward. My wife and I decided to stop watching it after that dumb season. Is Season 3 really improved enough for me to reconsider that decision? S2 was just not fun to watch at all, and not in an artful way (at least in my opinion).

Also, Girls Season 2 was painfully awkward. My wife and I decided to stop watching it after that dumb season. Is Season 3 really improved enough for me to reconsider that decision? S2 was just not fun to watch at all, and not in an artful way (at least in my opinion).

S3 has two of my favorite dramatic episodes of the series and is pretty funny throughout. The weird things from S2 are mostly swept under the rug. The whole tone changes, and it's way better. If you liked S1, at least give the first few episodes a look and see if you like it.

I experienced a bit of slowdown and fatigue in the first half of season two. Did you perceive that at all, and if so does it pick up again?

Yes. I feel mostly the same as Mangela about S2/S3

No. I don't usually know these things (thankfully - judging by the ratings?)