SoccerDude28

Psychonauts PC Demo out

I've only just run around a little bit in the camp, not really played the whole demo. I just wanted to test out the controls and see how it runs.

It runs fairly well on my sister's machine. She has a P4, 2.6GHz, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9200. I had to turn it down to 800x600, but it looks quite good anyway. The mouse/keyboard controls feel excellent!! Reminds me of the setup the PC versions for Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Splinter Cell, and I had an effortless time with those.

I'm still up in the air, though, about which platform to get it for - PC or Xbox. The PC one costs $10 less, right? It's not even that, I'm thinking me and my niece & nephew would be able to enjoy it more together on the console. And importantly, it would be my little way of telling Microsoft that these kinds of games have a place for consoles.

I played it with my classic Sidewinder, it work rather well but I would recommend playing it with a controller that has a control stick or at least a touch sensitive pad. The camra on the other hand was rather tricky if you're playing with a gamepad, so if you want proper camra control I suggest either playing with a mouse and keyboard or better yet get the PS2 or Xbox version.

It was definitely what I expected, great writing, imaginative design, tight control, and most importantly a fun game. I was also really surprised at the length of the demo, most demos these days take over 600 megs and last a whopping 10 minutes, it's good to know that Double Fine don't swing that way.

I'll probably get it on the PS2. The damn thing just sits there all day, taunting me whispering my name in the foulest way imaginable "Play me" it says "You payed such a high price, why don't you touch me? I'm popular, I'm hip, so play me! play me!" It pretty much goes like that in every stinking day of my life, bloody piece of useless plastic. But at least I never bought an Xbox.

Now for Mr. T: I liked it, fool! :mrt:

Aww shoot, now my almost 5-year old machine finally gives in and tells me to upgrade or lag behind the rest forever. So no Psychonauts for me. I apparantly have a lack of pixelshaders in my 5-year old graphic card. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm just surprised I was able to keep up with this old thing as long as I did.

Ah well. It's only a game.

Aww shoot, now my almost 5-year old machine finally gives in and tells me to upgrade or lag behind the rest forever. So no Psychonauts for me. I apparantly have a lack of pixelshaders in my 5-year old graphic card. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm just surprised I was able to keep up with this old thing as long as I did.

Ah well. It's only a game.

Xbox!

That rings true. But if I'd buy one now and didn't get an HD-tv along with it I'd feel hugely cheated. That's your regular catch-22 there. Didn't think of that, did you Micro$$oft?

That rings true. But if I'd buy one now and didn't get an HD-tv along with it I'd feel hugely cheated. That's your regular catch-22 there. Didn't think of that, did you Micro$$oft?

Why? It looks fine on a regular TV.

OMG 48%.

I kind of promised myself way back when that I wouldn't get the demo when it was released, mostly because I wanted to wait for the full game. But now with the release date for the rest of the world becoming more and more totally unknown I will take what I can get.

49% OMG

Ack! Of course it comes out while I'm still stuck at work! Curses!

Luckily, I called home and had my brothers start the download for me. So when I get home, the goodness begins!

:grin::woohoo::grin::clap::grin::woohoo::grin:

I just finished the demo, and it was just great. I really felt like I was in the game once I got past the part I've been spoiled with many times (the introduction). I'm sure you guys would agree with that.

I think you would also agree that this game was definitely made to be played with from a console with a controller and some vibration going on... the controls on the keyboard were terrible.. I tried to play with wasd+mouse and that didn't work, so I tried to play with wasd only and that didn't feel right, so I switch to up down left right and it felt like I was playing the game on an emulator.

I picked up my old 4-button playstation-looking digital gamepad and that seemed to solve the problem, until the last part of the level (and you'll see why) because I couldn't have the precise control I could get with the xbox analog controller. Meanwhile, I would have to figure out what the keys on the screen meant because my buttons are not named space, x, f, and such, and that sort of confused me, and sometimes I needed to move the camera so I would have to take my hand out of the controller and use the mouse, to find out that it was on inverted mode by default! :o

Can't wait until I get it on xbox next week to play the rest of the game! It's definitely a pretty enjoyable game.

Well, that was fantastic. The demo is satisfyingly long, and at every turn in the game it seemed I was doing something fresh and new. Not once frustrating, and I haven't played something this platformy in a while. If the rest of the game is this tight and full of visual ideas, I'll be very happy with it. I got hooked on collecting stuff, and the vault was cool. All the music was awesome. Some great dialogue, I particularly liked all of Oleander's taunts.

It worked really great with my gamepad after a little tweaking, I found a very nice feel to the controls. I can't wait for the full thing to arrive.

As I was getting absolutely everything I could out of the demo, exploring every little nook of the camp and Oleander's mind that I could find, I also looked at the credits. I spotted Jake, Marek, Chris, Yufster, and Spaff in 'Double Fine would like to thank', not sure if there's any more of you webmaster/journo/hypemonger types in there, have a look. Congratulations!

I spotted Jake, Marek, Chris, Yufster, and Spaff in 'Double Fine would like to thank', not sure if there's any more of you webmaster/journo/hypemonger types in there, have a look. Congratulations!

Kingz is in there too.

Man, fuck Firefox. Way to fucking crash and take the fucking download with you. And way to fucking refuse to resume it. Fuckfuckfuck. Fuck you Firefox cocksucker.

Bah, I never get credited on anything. Credit writers hate me. :(

(Not even on the production of The Magic Flute I did tech for)

I spotted Jake, Marek, Chris, Yufster, and Spaff in 'Double Fine would like to thank', not sure if there's any more of you webmaster/journo/hypemonger types in there, have a look.

Dude, I'm there but they got my last name wrong! It isn't SANCHEZ! :frusty:

My personal apologies go out to all those aligned with the forces of mediocrity and small-mindedness who tried to shut us down over and over again for the last five years. I'm sorry things didn't work out for you this time. I will say that although I am not bitter, I remember all of your names. Also, I'm going to send consolation cards to your mothers and fathers, because they must be disappointed most of all by your failure.
I think I'm in love.

Also, 66%, though I'm not sure why. I guess I'm hoping for "The Little Intel Extreme Engine That Could."

It did it AGAIN, I don't BELIEVE this.

Time for a different web browser, different source site? :P

It's open source and free. You were finding something shady if it was trying to get you to pay.