SoccerDude28

Psychonauts PC Demo out

At this point I am vaguely astounded.

Not so much at the game, because I haven't had a chance to play that yet. No, what happened was that I had to leave the download going in the middle of the night because there was no chance I was going to be able to play it yesterday. So what happened?

The power went out.

This includes my alarm clock, too, so I slept through a lecture I was supposed to go to.

The Psychonauts demo is now officially ruining my life.

Thankfully I'm using Bit Torrent so I get to resume it. 84% percent. Sigh.

Your story is hilarious.

Anyone figure out a way to get at that frozen sandwich yet? The one hidden in the cave you slide down into from above (i think) Raz's cabin?

Anyone figure out a way to get at that frozen sandwich yet? The one hidden in the cave you slide down into from above (i think) Raz's cabin?

You need...

the ability to melt the ice

:shifty:

I downloaded the demo but I think my laptop is clearly a million times too shit to play it. It'll have to wait until Friday when my real computer is scheduled to (FINALLY HOLY CRAP) arrive back to me. However, I've played this level about 2390 times already so I'll live I think.

You need...

the ability to melt the ice

:shifty:

Really? That's not one of the listed psychic powers! You're a dirty rotten liar.

looks like I'll be getting an Xbox purely for this game. It runs OK at 800*600, but I don't care. I want both and seeing as I am a rich bastard I will get both.

plus:

but then, right then, a tiny girl in a Winnie the Pooh nightie stood up in the cheap seats and, with a single tear falling down her dirt-smudged face, she said simply, “Psychonauts?”

:worship:

You know, the only thing I don't understand about the game is why it has pre-rendered sequences. The in-game world looks much better than the pre-rendered shit.

Oooohhh.... crrrrrapppp.... I am affraid my expectations were toooo higggghhh..... ;(:eek::frusty::gaming::gaming::pan::pan::kd::gershman::gershman::gershman: :\ :bac0n:

You know, the only thing I don't understand about the game is why it has pre-rendered sequences.

I've got no clue why some of them are prerendered... maybe because they have too many characters on the screen at once for it to handle?? but I know some of them are prerendered because they have things like half the level moving itself around, which I don't think the engine can do in realtime at least not with shadows and everything.

Psych- Psych- Psych- Psych- Psychonautssss -onautssss -onautssss -onautssss -onautssss!!!

In other words...

:broken::broken:

Ok, wow... That Psychonauts Demo is like crack cocaine. :fart: I've played the demo several times over... I still cringe before the pre-rendered cutscenes... I do let it go and do other things when it becomes boring — but dear mother of Mr. T! I want to play it again half an hour later!

Damn you, Tim! Damn you! Now I have to wait a week and a half before the game arrives! :\

I found the transitions from prerendered to real time and back amazingly smooth. Most games switch resolution a zillion times before actually showing the movie.

I have played this a lot, and it is indeed excellent and awesome. However, the one element that to me seemed to be the black sheep in terms of quality was the music - yes, it's enjoyable, and it's also quite competently written, but it doesn't approach the brilliance of his previous work in Grim Fandango. Here's hoping that it gets more interesting and wacky in later levels!

I have played this a lot, and it is indeed excellent and awesome. However, the one element that to me seemed to be the black sheep in terms of quality was the music - yes, it's enjoyable, and it's also quite competently written, but it doesn't approach the brilliance of his previous work in Grim Fandango. Here's hoping that it gets more interesting and wacky in later levels!

The music is good but to my disappointment there seems to be few uses - if not none - of live instruments... the melodies are good as far as they go but the midi lacks the warmth and the feel of Grim Fandango. Blame the console, I say.

Personally I really enjoyed the music and thought it fit in great. That was one of the first things that grabbed me as the level started up. I don't know how much is live and how much is synthesised, but it all sounded great to me throughout the demo.

Grim Fandango is one of the great game scores, and I expected great things from McConnell. Grim had very atmospheric, ambient music, but I think the Oleander level proves that Peter can nail a great, fairly intense soundtrack for a platformer action level.

I don't understand why you would blame the console if you don't like how it sounds. What does that have to do with how the music was recorded?

I have those Asylum Exterior, Campground At Night and Milkman Conspiracy mp3s from Mojo a while ago, and those are really nice tracks. Don't know if they're still in the game, but my thoughts, based on what I've heard, is that all the music in this game will probably kick ass.

The music is good but to my disappointment there seems to be few uses - if not none - of live instruments... the melodies are good as far as they go but the midi lacks the warmth and the feel of Grim Fandango. Blame the console, I say.

The percussion and many of the horns (and the harmonica) are live...? Maybe the fact that unlike grim there are other sounds going on is throwing you. Try turning the sounds off for a bit - and conversely try turning the music off - and you'll see that theyre both quite good.

Please STOP stabbing me!!! :frusty:

First I download the PC Demo and find out that my video card is a piece of crap (well I didn't find out I knew that, but it so kindly told me again), so I decided to just buy the PS2 version. So of course, with my luck, it gets delayed . :eek:

So what is it going to be? Video Card or Xbox?

PS2 Psychonauts pushed back

Newsletter from developer Double Fine Productions says the Sony version of its mind-warping adventure needs to cook "a bit longer."

When it was first announced in 2002, Psychonauts was to be published by Microsoft as an Xbox-exclusive platformer. But after the game was dropped by Microsoft and then picked up by Majesco, PC and PlayStation 2 versions of the game, created by Grim Fandango designer Tim Schafer, were unveiled.

Gamespot news, 4/12/05

After two days, my 56K modem finally pulled through. Man, what an awesome game. All there is to say, really...but I'll still say more 'cause I'm bored. The classic platforming obstacles are some of the best I've seen--it's kind of like Prince of Persia, but with much less tedious button clicking fighting and more crazy genius puzzles and obstacles. So...really more like a modern day Mario. Awesome.

wow,

this demo is truly awesome. :)

@all-those-players-who-can't-play-psychonauts-because-of-their-graphic-cards: try 3danalyzer and emulate all these modern directx9-effects - dunno if it works, but it could help

The music is awesome. Kwitcherbitchin'. The Oleander theme reminded me of the Empire theme from StarWars in parts.