Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

In the Valley of Gods - Indie-film Ana Jones (Campo Santo's New Valve Game) is Canceled Forever

Yeah honestly it feels like a weird culture fit given what we know of Jake and Sean (and Nick and Chris) through the podcasts. Campo took a concrete stand against Pewdiepie, and to go to work for a company that is very, very willing to give neo-Nazis a platform is really... weird.

Anyway I'm looking forward to selling black-and-white film in the Steam store for 9c a pop

More bad news from the good folks at Valve:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/07/valves-abdication-of-responsibility-over-steam-is-the-worst-possible-solution/

Delicious quote:

"This pretence that their ultimate goals are to facilitate wonder and sparkles, rather than their taking nearly a third of every sale for the honour, has become deeply tiresome. And when they’re profiting from what they’re selling, of bloody course they should be considering whether they’re comfortable with the sources of that income. This incessant and frankly childish obsession with abdicating responsibility away from themselves and onto those from whom they profit (developer and customer) is outrageously transparent."

This might be better in the 'Is Steam Evil?' thread

which is here btw.

and the answer seems to be yes :P

Getting back OT, here's a little article about the tech behind the natural black hair in ITVOTG. (It also links to a blog post by Jane Ng on the same.)

My appologies to Mington in that other thread. I thought he was being overly doomy and gloomy, but he was right!

Man, this Valve open structure thing. I'm sure it's great for people who work there, but it doesn't seem especially great for maintaining focus or actually finishing projects.

NIXED!

when your animator got his first recognition doing half life first person hand animations. Gets job at Valve with a contract saying you can work on any project, whilst a new VR half life game is in development. What do?

seriously though, I wonder how development was shaping up on Valley. Was there going to be an AI controlled partner running around with you  the whole time? Perhaps that was a bit janky, as AI companions often are, but in a grounded narrative focused game, potential immersion braking. And required an absolute ton of bespoke animations, that didn’t warrant the work/time /effort for a 4-5 hour game (I bet this was shaping up shorter than firewatch). Could be a case biting off more than you can chew

This is a very good thread worth reading if you want to be even more mad about the news.

I knew they'd never be able to continue Important If True while working at Valve and was afraid that In the Valley of the Gods would be the last game they ever made, which just goes to show how little imagination I have for how things could go wrong. There is zero chance I will ever be able to play a VR Half-Life game, nor do I know anyone who ever would, so this is such a bummer. 

But seriously video games

no seriously video games

my take away from that thread is that it suckkks working in video games

fucking wild that there’s a new half life game, like, what if it’s “really good” like wins game of the year 2020 “really good” because all the critic that vote on this shit gets a chance to experience it whilst 0.01% of joe public can’t. And obviously as a game critic you take that into account... but what if it’s actually acccctually that good. Like I know less than 0.01% of “gamers” hasn’t played this shit dog, but yo dog, GOTY! What do?

I'm getting flashbacks to the Half-Life 3 thread:

image.thumb.png.1f6a7cc36becea5880b1df491e594ca1.png

I think HL-related discussion does something funny to you, Mington. Maybe it soft-reboots you?

love a soft-reboot

wait a minute... is Half Life: Alyx a soft reboot? Retreading familiar ground, revisiting familiar characters in similar predicaments, telling a story that whilst at once an untold prequel, also mirroring past and future events setting up whats to come like poetry, they rhyme. By jove! i think i'm on to something

What if... i'm the Gman from the future? I have so much to learn, so many reboots, rebirths, re-imaginings, re-tellings, reliving, past and present becoming one, becoming whole, becoming

i must start building my cocoon at once.

Mh, this sucks. Just read the news on RPS and came here to, I don't know, read something from people who care.

Thanks for the Duncan Fyfe Twitter thread Patrick R, he really did care. Very fascinating and sad. I kind of thought that everyone involved at least found something they'd liked to work on more and that's why it died.

Mh!

I was never cynical about them joining Valve to make the game happen as I assumed there were agreements made in place to make sure it would, but this is all very unfortunate, at least from an outside perspective. Knowing how much some of those folks admired Valve's game, I hope they're enjoying working on some of those things at least.