Jake

[Dev Log] Build The Nublar

Yes there are two Build The Nublars now. I'm very excited about this! Check out nkornek's Build The Nublar here.

Build The Nublar

You are Dodgson. In an alternate timeline when Nedry comes through with the dinosaur embryos, you are immediately tasked by your umimpressed boss with the construction of their own Nublar. (He keeps calling Jurassic Park a "Nublar") Your boss is sitting in the conference room back home, logged into the company mainframe, waiting to see your latest version of a Nublar park tour. As his demands get higher and higher, can you build a tour that meets his needs?

We think this will be basically Pipe Dream/Pipe Mania, but with your boss's Jurassic Park tour jeep instead of water flow, and a bunch of bullshit laid on top of that.

Team so far:

Nick Breckon, Jake Rodkin, Olly Moss: Design, art, implementation (we're all doing a little bit of everything I think)

We may need programming help at some point but if we do I will update this thread!

More updates coming soon!

We're talking about the actual Nublar-building process taking place at Dodgson's computer. (Since you're not actually creating the island, you're creating a quick proposal for your boss to run through on his computer at work.)

Yes, if all goes according to plan this is a Desktop Simulator. I did a quick test of a Unity UI Canvas rendered to texture on a curved CRT monitor. Ideally this ends up getting a nice CRT shader and glow on it.

Had to test inline video of course, the staple of Jurassic Park conference call technology.

computertest.png

Oh man, I hope you get Olly to create high res versions of those 90s-ass location icons!

Oh gosh. It's an embarrassment of nublars.

Wait! The Visitor Center is behind a gigantic door INSIDE a carnivore zone? I don't think that's a good idea.

Here's some early progress on ol' Dodgson's shack/office!

26835283652_7d82fe29f4_o.png

A lot of it is block-in/filler but I'm starting to move on to proper assets and I'll post them as I go. 

My personal goal for this project is to build a decent-looking environment entirely by myself, from scratch, using no pre-existing models or textures. 

Here's some early progress on ol' Dodgson's shack/office!

A lot of it is block-in/filler but I'm starting to move on to proper assets and I'll post them as I go. 

My personal goal for this project is to build a decent-looking environment entirely by myself, from scratch, using no pre-existing models or textures. 

That looks lovely!

Welp, my own crappy Build the Nublar art is up against Olly's, apparently.

This can only go well :P

Don't worry, it's not a race or anything. And your art looks pretty good!

Yeah, I was just kidding. Tbh it's kind of awesome.

Yeah fretting that there's too many nublars makes about as much sense as fretting that there's too many cakes.  

Agreed, we should BUILD ALL OF THE NUBLARS

I'm going to get way less far along with this than I had hoped but it turns out going from "never made the video game part of a video game before" to actually doing that is not easy. Also I totally dragged my feet on building any of it early when I should have.

Anyway I have replicated the basic functionality of Pipe Dream / Pipe Mania using PlayMaker (a visual scripting / state machine tool for Unity, which we used on Firewatch). You can see the current state of my progress here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/han0b3nyvrs2650/NublarFirstPersonPipeTest4.mp4?dl=0

In addition to placing/rotating tiles, under the hood this features a grid whose dimensions and scale I can customize per level, customizible car speed, a random start spawn which has per level editable constraints. I know this is all super simple stuff but it is all new to me and ... very fun. Maybe one day I can make myself switch from visual scripting to actual C# but that time is not now.

By the end of tomorrow I intend to have the car drawn and animating instead of a blipping dot, as well as mandatory dinosaur stops you have to hit along your way before returning to the visitors center. It will also have nicer art. It will also be integrated into Dodgson's actual office that Olly built, with a nice annoying CRT shader and some other goodies which are too dumb/juicy to share here.

If I have time my stretch goals are some bullshit like a second starting point with second tour vehicle you have to accommodate (your boss demands that guests can go on tours straight from the hotel), showing a queue of five upcoming tiles, and possibly forking Y tracks which change direction every time a jeep passes by them. Those might come in after the jam is over, though. Ultimate stretch goal is adding rocks which have to be built around, adding an island perimeter that is not square, etc, but those may be outside the scope of my shitty ability to make anything.

Quick stab at redoing the tiles to look more like a car route on a park map and less like pipes

post-5966-0-59700800-1463898690_thumb.pn