Nick Breckon

Idle Thumbs Streams

Personally, to go into a bit more detail, my take on the DS3 DLC is that the town areas are really cool, the waste areas are really boring, the wolf enemies are an interesting design that mixes things up but are usually trivially easy, and the millwood knights are complete horseshit that mistakes difficult for interesting. I'm working on the boss now, who takes too fucking long just like the nameless king but is a very fun battle aside from that. I don't know why people say it's so short though, it's taking me about as long as Artorias of the Abyss -- the DS2 DLCs were pretty huge and took a bit longer, but still. I will say that storytelling-wise this DLC is pretty interesting, but as cryptic as Souls always is that's going to be a mixed benefit for different people. I guess this isn't a great place to discuss this, but eh since it came up.

I think DS2's DLC was the best of the series, but I firmly disagree with most of the complaints about this first one for DS3. It's not perfect, but it's a refreshing diversion in setting from the main game, has a bunch of interesting ideas and tidbits, and one boss I really like (though it kicked the shit out of me for trying to do it in NG+3 my first time.) Great music, challenging combat, all that.

I honestly think that wandering through huge open areas is a big weak point of DS3 in general, so it's not the DLC in particular that bothers me this way. I've soured on a lot of the design decisions made in DS3, though I still generally enjoy the game. I'll be uploading my playthrough of AoA at some point and I go into more detail there as it occurs to me -- though I also end up saying some dumb shit too. So it goes, hard to be consistently insightful when you just talk as you go.

Actually that reminds me to start putting those up. I'll link them from the DS3 thread when they start going live.

I checked out the first ten minutes, but will just listen to the show normally tomorrow.

I think the camera angle should just be a fixed wide / medium with all you guys in the frame instead of cutting every five seconds. At least then we get to see reactions from everyone in the frame, plus it'll be alot less work to setup.

Ugghhh Planet Coaster has water rides & log flumes now. Going to be tough to pick between that and Kerbal. Maybe I'll do a bit of both. Will probably stream around 4pm Pacific today. 

I wanted to watch some more Dark Souls while working on something else. So, I opened up Twitch, picked a stream at random, and was immediately treated to some guy explaining to me why feminism is stupid.

3 hours ago, Moosferatu said:

I wanted to watch some more Dark Souls while working on something else. So, I opened up Twitch, picked a stream at random, and was immediately treated to some guy explaining to me why feminism is stupid.

Lame. I will stream Dark Souls tomorrow. Probably during the day. 

3 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

Just throwing this out there, but since you have time to stream at this particular time... have you considered making a Wizard Jam entry and streaming its creation?

Haha, oh man. Crazy idea and maybe something that'd be fun for the next one. I think to do that right now I'd have to stop playing Planet Coaster and Dark Souls though, and I really would like to finish that park/game. 

43 minutes ago, Nick Breckon said:

Haha, oh man. Crazy idea and maybe something that'd be fun for the next one. I think to do that right now I'd have to stop playing Planet Coaster and Dark Souls though, and I really would like to finish that park/game. 

At your current trajectory, I want to say you're maybe 1/4 of the way through Dark Souls, BUT given the way you absolutely blitzed through the Depths, maybe things are looking up for you and it'll only take you ~20 hours more instead of 30. It also depends on whether you find more optional bosses or the DLC.

I just successfully pulled off the second challenge in the Hitman Kotti Paradigm, in Cheatin Hitman style. I am really bummed my CPU isn't beefy enough to stream this game. Does anyone know if it's even possible to stream Hitman smoothly on a single CPU? I'd consider upgrading if so; have an i5-4670k atm. 

6 hours ago, Nick Breckon said:

I just successfully pulled off the second challenge in the Hitman Kotti Paradigm, in Cheatin Hitman style. I am really bummed my CPU isn't beefy enough to stream this game. Does anyone know if it's even possible to stream Hitman smoothly on a single CPU? I'd consider upgrading if so; have an i5-4670k atm. 

If I remember details about the Idle Thumbs office stream set-up correctly, you play games on one machine, but have the actual streaming be done by another machine so that the stream doesn't divide CPU resources. Assuming you have another device (possibly even a tablet) at home, wouldn't you be able to connect it to your PC and do the same thing?

Watching the Hitman stream without being able to type in chat is so frustrating :) Nick went past the high octane fuel multiple times during his mass murderer run of Sapienza at night. The streams are a mix of fun and agonizing because of all the mistakes. Perhaps I have just played too much Hitman to be able to watch others do it. I had similar issues watching Xcom streams.