Dan Ryckert did a pair of Periscope streams this weekend wherein he a) ordered everything from the Taco Bell menu, and B) took a bite out of them each, reviewing them as they went. I didn't pay a lot of attention, as I was busy continuing to have my life consumed by Fallout 4, but it seemed like even though he was using a hundred point scale, nothing deviated more than 3 points from 85. All that time reviewing games has apparently made an indelible mark.

yeah nobody likes hard tacos so it's weird to see someone shit on all tacos just because hard tacos suck!

Holy smokes I've never seen such wrong statements in this thread, and it's specifically about Dan being dumb and wrong. Mexican food is wonderful and tacos are great. Carnitas tacos do not look like something that came in a taco bell wrapper.

Dan Ryckert did a pair of Periscope streams this weekend wherein he a) ordered everything from the Taco Bell menu, and B) took a bite out of them each, reviewing them as they went. I didn't pay a lot of attention, as I was busy continuing to have my life consumed by Fallout 4, but it seemed like even though he was using a hundred point scale, nothing deviated more than 3 points from 85. All that time reviewing games has apparently made an indelible mark.

I would guess this is because everything at Taco Bell uses the same 8-10 core ingredients.

Yeah, hard shell tacos are worthless and of course you don't like tacos if that's your taco experience.

There's nothing better in the entire world than a steak taco with lettuce and cheese on either a flour tortilla or 2 warm corn tortillas.

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/pGhA_nJbPopjyhK-eiPkbg/o.jpg

this is what a taco should look like. (you can go cheese-less if you want. that's acceptable)

I am anti-taco myself (go team big burrito!), but I can not get behind extremist statements like "Mexican food is overrated".

I like tacos, both hard and soft.  One of my favorite things in food is contrast and I like having a hard crunch (the shell) with a softer texture (the meat).  Although when I make tacos at home I'll take a tortilla and wrap it around a hard taco because it does double duty as an extra contrast and for catching anything that falls out.

On a side note, I'm enjoying how this thread is mirroring the Bombcast by going off onto a weird food tangent.

[Mexican food is] basically poor man's Italian food, which is clearly the best world cuisine has to offer.

I seriously can't wrap my head around this one.

Anyway, hard shell tacos are bad and dumb. Corn tortillas 4ever.

On a side note, I'm enjoying how this thread is mirroring the Bombcast by going off onto a weird food tangent.

When writing my reply I thought, "How did I end up discussing tacos on the Idle Forums? Am I contributing to a derail?" Then I read the title and clicked post.

I'm going to take a culinary leap here and say that hard tacos aren't bad either, it's just that 99 times out of 100 you're eating one that was produced in a factory, packaged for weeks if not months, then consumed. Fresh(ly) hard(ened) tacos are essentially really big tortilla chips and thus cannot be bad. I've made some before in my toaster oven, essentially you just take a nice corn tortilla, soften it via microwaving with a warm tea towel, then drape it over adjacent bars of your oven rack. In a big oven it'd probably just be directly adjacent, but my toaster oven has narrower gaps between the bars of the rack so it was two bars per tortilla. It's good stuff and worth trying. Similarly, homemade soft tacos are excellent when warmed directly on a gas burner on low. It gets that perfect brown/char going in seconds, I just regret not currently living in a house with gas burners currently.

I know, alignment charts. But no one can be more Chaotic Good than Vinny.

2803214-cu8wx1kueaeg9hp.jpg

Hard shell tacos are the best tacos.  Soft shell tacos are just wannabe burritos.  Tacos are probably one of our most common lunches we throw together (fast and tasty). 

I would guess this is because everything at Taco Bell uses the same 8-10 core ingredients.

This is a complaint that gets leveled at TexMex/Mexican food, and always bugs me.  Like, most generic food categories are that way.  A burger joint is using the same few ingredients for most of their meals.  An italian joint is using the same handful of ingredients for most of their dishes. Pizza, same.  Fried chicken, same.  BBQ, same.   

A hard shell taco is just like eating a really shitty nacho. I will not ever budge on this. Whoever introduced white people to hard shell tacos should be charged with crimes against humanity.

There's no such thing as shitty nachos, so that's like, mathematical proof that hard shell tacos are good. 

Inevitably any liquid from your taco meat (likely grease, because that's what makes tacos taste extra good) compromises the connected side of the taco shell, it cracks down the middle and literally everything falls out of it. I hate hard shell tacos.

If I have some good nacho cheese on hand, I just wrap the hard shell in a soft shell and coat the inside of the soft shell with nacho cheese.  Mmmmmm.....so good. 

And even without that, when you're done, you just have a little pile of some meat, a few crumble taco shell parts, a bit of lettuce and tomato.  You scoop it all together with a fork and eat it, and it's still nummy!  It's like having a bonus round of taco after you eat your taco. 

I understand the appreciation for the crunch. I really do. I love nachos, I just don't want to have to use a fork for my taco. It is never just a little bit of taco filling for me. it's like the entire taco falls out the bottom and then i have to eat the whole thing with a fork and just have a greasy bad taco shell in my hand.

Agreement with Jenna is expressed in this post.

Ain't no hard shell taco that wouldn't be better as a plate of meat 'n' shit with nachos to scoop it up. Or even better just a plate of nachos with meet 'n' shit on top.

Nachos are very fun, but there is something particular about constructing an actual food item to consume that differentiates the taco from just being lowly nacho components in a very positive way.

Many of the best tacos are also not made of things I would put on a genericized nacho plate.

Mexican food is the best food. Italian food is just the pretentious, over-priced wannabe cousin of Mexican food.

My problem with any food that isn't Mexican food is that they don't appreciate the breadth and depth of all the various chiles and peppers like Mexican food does.

And for the record, even though I love it, Taco Bell is not Mexican food.

See, SAM, that's a solution to the I think, the fundamental structural integrity problem of the hard shelled taco. There isn't a clear place for that to break in half every time, and if we could replace traditional hard shell tacos with those little boats i would be all in.