twmac

An email I sent to Giantbomb

Seriously, it's like a whole field of terrible potato opinions here, wow. Potatoes in any form other than plain, boiled, are amazing. 

Hey now, plain boiled potatoes can be amazing. Depends a lot on the kind though.

If the mouthfeel you're going for with any potatoes other than french fries is "crunch", you've already fucked up.

Well that's just wrong! Hashbrowns are godly, and roast potatoes made with pig fat beat all others ways of cooking without even breaking a sweat.

Fuck I even forgot potato wedges, which are superior to fries in every way.

Get yourself an electric whipper and the only thing that makes mashed potatoes difficult is cleaning the whipper after. It works great for me since I really hate lumps or peelings in my mash.

I also find that children make excellent tools for the most onerous of kitchen tasks. 

Crisp is fine. Crunch, to me, says you either burnt them or way under cooked them.

Old Dutch Original Rip-L-Chips are the only exception.

I also find that children make excellent tools for the most onerous of kitchen tasks. 

My mother often times made my sister peel potatoes because my sister got an odd joy out of it and my mom didn't have to stand over the trash can for 10 minutes.

My mother often times made my sister peel potatoes because my sister got an odd joy out of it and my mom didn't have to stand over the trash can for 10 minutes.

Cooking with little kids is the best, it's fun rather than a chore (cooking with teenagers is the worst, everything tastes like drama and angst).

Potato ricer so handy, you don't even have to peel them. just chop in half and smush them in the ricer.

Potato ricer is easy to clean, which I feel I can say as I don't have a dishwasher and have no trouble. Also, can't beat a potato ricer when it comes to "performs as expected" as there is literally no way for lumps to get through it. No room for human or machine error unless the whole thing breaks altogether.

oh c'mon potato ricer? 

Potato masher ! No cleaning difficulties, performs as expected.

Potato mashers always leave small lumps of potato. With a ricer you can be sure that everything's properly mashed. They're also quicker and easier to use I find.

No room for human or machine error unless the whole thing breaks altogether.

Which mine did:(

Is a potato ricer good for anything else?  I dislike single purpose tools, especially in the kitchen where I have increasingly less space to put things.  Right now when I make mashed potatoes (which isn't often) I use a masher first then smooth it out with a stick blender.

Oh! I didn't realize complete homogenization was a desirable quality in a mashed potato. The lumps let me know it was really potato to begin with. I mean, I don't generally skin them either. Once they're in the pot, they're in the pot until they get served. I pour the water off and mash them there.

My grandfather always made these great fried potatoes that were a sort of half chip half French fry. Cut the potato into coin-like shapes (no need to peel them), and then fry the pieces in oil, flipping them as necessary. When they're done, place them on a thick paper towel and pat down the other side to remove any oil that remains.

The thinner you cut them, the crispier they get. There's a good medium where you get some good crunch on the outside while keeping some thickness to give you a good French Fry-like interior.

My grandfather always made these great fried potatoes that were a sort of half chip half French fry. Cut the potato into coin-like shapes (no need to peel them), and then fry the pieces in oil, flipping them as necessary. When they're done, place them on a thick paper towel and pat down the other side to remove any oil that remains.

The thinner you cut them, the crispier they get. There's a good medium where you get some good crunch on the outside while keeping some thickness to give you a good French Fry-like interior.

My mum used to make them, we called them scallop potatoes.

Man, i;m totally asking for them next time i'm home^^

This is similar to the origin myth of the potato chip. Apparently Cornelius Vanderbilt sent back his plate because he thought the potatoes were too soggy so the spurned chef sliced the potatoes as thinly as possible and fried them to a crisp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip#History

This is similar to the origin myth of the potato chip. Apparently Cornelius Vanderbilt sent back his plate because he thought the potatoes were too soggy so the spurned chef sliced the potatoes as thinly as possible and fried them to a crisp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip#History

Much like how the French fry was invented by a chef with whose customer was complaining about overly crunchy potato chips.

Much like how the French fry was invented by a chef with whose customer was complaining about overly crunchy potato chips.

Much like how the potato wedge was invented by a chef who was too lazy to cut fries properly.

Much like how the potato wedge was invented by a chef who was too lazy to cut fries properly.

Much like how this thread became the potato thread because Dan Ryckert is weird