Sign in to follow this  
RubixsQube

Jurassic World: Wasting away in Margaritaville

Hey, there's a trailer for a film that is coming out next year, the next in a line of Jurassic Park sequels that don't really need to happen.

This looks really not great (most of Chris Pratt's lines are outstandingly dumb), but at least someone put a Margaritaville on Isla Nublar

t0Ca8ue.jpg

I actually like Jimmy Buffet. Does that make me a bad person? Yeah well fuck you!

The movie looks like a movie and I'm sort of excited against my better judgment. So bring it on, I guess.

EDIT: It's blurry but I think that woman in the brown-green shirt behind the all-blue guy on the right is smiling as she's running away from (what I presume is) a dinosaur. That's the correct response.

I like Jimmy Buffet.  It's dumb and fun and about touristy tropical island shit, and sometimes that's what I want to listen to.

Margaritaville (the restaurant chain) is fucking awful though.

I honestly had no idea it was a restaurant chain until now.

Jimmy Buffet is fine! Popular island beach music that's easy to listen to. His chain of dumb restaurants is less fine, but people enjoy eating and drinking exotic flavored, watered-down margaritas, so cool. I just don't want to see a velociraptor knocking over a bunch of parrot-head t-shirts after slipping on a "5 O'Clock Somewhere." 

There are not one, but two, Jimmy Buffett themed chain restaurants (Cheeseburger in Paradise is the other).   Which is almost justification for hating him and everything about him.  But I still dig listening to him.

As for the movie, I never watched any of the Jurassic sequels.  Are either any good?

As for the movie, I never watched any of the Jurassic sequels.  Are either any good?

Lost World has extremely high highs and low lows. 3 has a couple of okay bits that got cut from the first movie's script, but also has this:

Jurassic World looks really dumb but I'm also kind of excited for it? Chris Pratt's lines are terrible and the idea of making a hybrid dinosaur for no reason is incredibly stupid, but they nailed a lot of the tone.

Oh, also, the only confirmed returning character is this guy:

cyrobbG.jpg

That seems like a situation where literally every single other actor turned them down.

The hybrid dinosaur is one of the dumbest Hollywood things imaginable. Like who could possibly think that giant reptilian predators aren't scary enough as is? 

Yeah it's going to be all kinds of dumb, but I'm a sucker for Jurassic Park, so the idea to see the fully realized park at least for a moment, is something I'll go see. I'm not even "one of those people" that does this, it's just that this has dinosaurs and we don't get that too often with this kind of budget.

Margaritaville is a super bizarre place. Every time you order a margarita they pump it out of this huge vat of frozen margarita in a fake volcano that makes a volcano eruption noise when an order goes up. Jimmy's music is cranked pretty loud and it's not unusual to hear a lot of people singing along the whole time they're there. Also practically half of the menu is modeled after his music, with a "boat drinks" cocktail menu, a Cheeseburger in Paradise that was only really an okay burger, etc.

I went to the one at Universal Citywalk Orlando, so I guess it's possible that crazy Floridian's crystallized the oddity of the place but it was still something quite special.

Off-topic: I'm super excited about this movie.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the [CGI] power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
John Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our [CGI ARTISTS] have done things which nobody's ever done before...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your [CGI ARTISTS] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.
John Hammond: [STAR WARS]. [THE STAR WARS FILM SERIES] on the verge of extinction...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: [shaking his head] No...
John Hammond: If I was to create a [GOOD STAR WARS FILM], you wouldn't have anything to say.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, hold on. This isn't some [GOOD SERIES OF FILMS] that was obliterated by [AN UNCHECKED MEGALOMANIAC], or the [WRITING OF A HORRIBLE SCRIPT]. [JURASSIC PARK SEQUELS] had their shot, and nature selected them for extinction.

I hadn't actually watched the trailer.  That hybrid is amazing.  Amazing as in "This ought to be a SyFy original!" amazing.

Dinosaurs are rad so I'll watch this. I don't care if it is dumb. Could it be worse than JP3? Possibly but not likely.

Also I kind of like the idea of a franken-dinosaur. Some of the dinosaurs were not very scientifically accurate in past films (especially Velociraptor) so this seems like a more honest appeal to the rule of cool. I think the first film used a loophole by saying they were spliced with other animals because the samples had missing genetic information or something.

The park itself looks pretty cool, and kind of justifies having another movie.  But the whole hybrid thing is just ten tons of dumb. 

Is anyone else a little bummed that the two kids in this movie are both boys? Where's the 13 year-old hacker girl?

The look (the colors, the CGI, setting) really reminds me of the Star Wars prequels. All of these movies (big tentpole sci-fi action adventure films) love to use oversaturated colors that, to me, make everything look that much more fake and bland.

The construction of everything in the park being that futurey white makes it look fake and bland. 

Edit: I guess watching it again, that criticism is mostly for the monorail that is shown a few times, but yeah, all those establishing shots look real fake.

Edited by SpennyDubz

You are both right, the hyper color saturation and white, clean, futuristic setting both make this look stale and uninteresting. Also, two messy-haired white boys is boring as fuck, as well. Hollywood, listen, if you can literally make a character any possible gender, or race, put "white, male" at the bottom of the list, and let's start there, since that's as boring as it can possibly be. 

I also think that what makes everything look fake and bland (in recent CGI-heavy films) is the camera movement. When everything is a big CGI playset, you can have the camera swoop and fly and hover, and it just makes my brain go "oh, this is fake, this is a fake set." 

Argh, this film is going to be really bad, and then there will be little bubble sphere toys and genetically modified spinosaurus playsets and it just makes me glad that at least, at one point, overproducer Steven Spielberg made this perfect film about dinosaurs. 

I'm honestly just disappointed that there are precocious little kids at all. The kids in the Jurassic Park movies are pretty much always terrible (you got cut from the team?).

The fakiest part, for me, is the use of those big glowing blue holographic displays that every movie seems fond of using now. I feel like there was a memo about how people know what computers look like that went around Hollywood fifteen years ago and nobody read.

Oh, also, the only confirmed returning character is this guy:

cyrobbG.jpg

That seems like a situation where literally every single other actor turned them down.

This completely fucks up my personal canon where Jurassic Park exists in the Law and Order universe and that one geneticist is so fucked up over his experience at the park that he switches to psychology, gets his PhD, and starts consulting with the NYPD to try to help other trauma victims.

This completely fucks up my personal canon where Jurassic Park exists in the Law and Order universe and that one geneticist is so fucked up over his experience at the park that he switches to psychology, gets his PhD, and starts consulting with the NYPD to try to help other trauma victims.

Haha, is that a reference to Awake? 

I don't care what tegan says, B.D. Wong is great; even if he's the only one that didn't turn them down. 

It's a reference to Law and Order:SVU. He was in like 200 episodes! I'd forgotten about Awake, but I'm sure I can work that into it too.

Ok the trauma victim thing threw me off. I though you were working in both.