Blambo

Programming in General

i only started making a video game because i was like "what does the code for a video game look like?"

Looks like shit

I have basically forgotten how to write regular typed code since I started working in the Unreal Engine. Visual scripting is much faster and the results are the same, but it feels like cheating.

I have basically forgotten how to write regular typed code since I started working in the Unreal Engine. Visual scripting is much faster and the results are the same, but it feels like cheating.

How do you make a grid of cubes with visual scripting?

How do you make a grid of cubes with visual scripting?

This gets the job done, why do you ask?

DOPoXaW.jpg

That looks cool, but after getting used to regular scripting languages I don't think I'd ever be comfortable making a simple for loop using multitudes of boxes like that. :o

Of course, I don't have any experience with this or visual scripting, but just at a glance most of what is going on there doesn't make immediate sense to me. I guess if you've never looked at regular code before it probably looks like voodoo magic too..

Wow that is insane... I could never do that. It'd take like four lines of code to make a grid of cubes!

It's a very personal preference. I dabbled in Max and Pure Data(visual languages for making music) long before I got interested in making games, so this feels like coming home. Besides, the only other option for UE4 is C++ which I know next to nothing about.

Holy shit that VE is unreal. 

C++ is interesting, but people keep telling me to learn Java or Haxe to get a grip on OO basics.

Python is generally the OO education language of choice in my environs, along with Java.

C++ comes with the whole memory/pointer thing which just distracts.

Tangentially, I'd recommend trying out functional programming as well (my poison of choice is Clojure) because it's a very useful direction to think in, in my experience. The functional mode of thought eliminates a lot of annoying bugs caused by functions with side-effects.

Clojure is a boring lisp, instead blow your brain with some cool Haskell or Erlang.

Haskell is so beautiful. I can see using it in tutoring work for math. It feels like sketching a drawing versus architecting a building.

If you don't like memory pointers you are not a real programmer and get out of my profession.

Memory pointers cause nothing but issues. There's no need for them besides some dubious activities.

No need except that they're FUN AS HELL!

I wrote some shit for my new job that used function pointers and it was the raddest.

...That I later changed it because I thought of a better way is NOT THE POINT.

Learning some functional programming has helped my OO Java coding habits a lot, along with a series of two or three videos about dependency injection and testability. I'll try to find the links. After combining that learning, I often feel like I'm writing the only sensible code*, there's nothing to add or remove.

* given the constraints I have.

[edit] Here is one of the talks, by Miško Hevery

http://misko.hevery.com/2008/11/11/clean-code-talks-dependency-injection/

I think there were some more directly following this (should be on the same site), but I'm a bit lazy ATM.

Did a bit more digging, I think this youtube playlist has all of Miško Hevery's "Clean Code Talks":

I think every programmer should watch those, or at least the one I linked in the previous post. It makes some not universally understood truths about object-oriented programming very clear -- and even though there are a few details I might argue with depending on the situation, most of it is applicable in more cases than I initially thought. I wish I could find a similarly good presentation about functional programming and a few other topics, to combine into an "ultimate programming lectures" playlist.

[edit]I just realized that I haven't watched the first video on that list, I was talking about the last 3. The premise of the first talk actually sounds a bit suspicious to me.