JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

I think what's been better is the image the Israel Post ran of Trump: him holding his arm out at a podium, at a 45 degree angle. It's a great photo of him that just so happens to also depict him as Hitler, so I think it's going to be one for the ages.

Oh yeah. Trump was never going to win the nomination, but this is a definitive point people will be able to look back on and suggest it was the first step down the slope.

http://i.imgur.com/Wuec3YK.jpg

I mean, more a running jump off a cliff with no parachute, but hey.

Also put me down for Gamergate being very much about political ideas.

I think people who are gators desperately want to avoid that reputation, but that's out of the same nature as no one wants to be called a racist.

The problem in modern society with being called a racist is not because people have an actual understanding of the harm of racism, but because of the more simplistic "racists are bad". Therefore since I'm not bad, people shouldn't call me a racist, no matter what racist bullshit I may be saying. Similarly, gators know from long exposure to the net that the label "conservative" sucks, and they (believe they) don't suck, so they're not a conservative movement despite their words and deeds.

I don't know if I have this fully formed idea, but part of me is struggling with the american political conservative aspect of GG, because conservatism even in it's current unhinged state is pretty moralistically christian, where GG is (to me) into objectifying women (ie the DOAXXX thing). i know it started as a kind of moralizing prudish campaign against a woman, but i don't believe they're interested in promoting prudish morality. misogynistic, not puritanical. 

i think they succumb to the worst conspiratorial aspects of mindset of modern conservatism, but i don't think the young people are viable republicans. campus libertarian dinguses maybe. 

Yeah... I think that is the crux with tying gamergate supporters to a fixed political direction. They have this of that and that of this strain of thought, and they think this of themselves while doing that. And it gets much more complicated once you leave the US spectrum.

Literally 'conservative' thought is definitely at the heart of gamergate. Or 'preservative' rather. They're scared to death by rather elementary, not even that modern ideas; they see any kind of media criticism as an attack and insult; and any change, real or imagined, as necrosis.

That still doesn't make it easy to tie gamergate or the many opposing groups to any one of only just two 'political' 'sides'.

GamerGate is, to me, a kind of post-modern political movement. They don't seem to stand for any one identifiable ideal (except arguably the status quo), but rather they tend to stand against what they interpret a perceived enemy as being for.

But also I try not to really pay much attention to them anymore, so I could be way off.

A lot of their rhetoric seems pretty libertarian to me. "Who are you to deny me my breast simulator game?" sort of thing. Not that anyone other than the producer of the breast simulator is actually doing so, but like I said, rhetoric.

Yeah libertarian would be pretty apt, but libertarian (i.e., FREE SPEECH ABOVE ALL ELSE!) in combination with the worst and most hateful aspects of the conservative blah.

Literally 'conservative' thought is definitely at the heart of gamergate. Or 'preservative' rather. They're scared to death by rather elementary, not even that modern ideas; they see any kind of media criticism as an attack and insult; and any change, real or imagined, as necrosis.

That still doesn't make it easy to tie gamergate or the many opposing groups to any one of only just two 'political' 'sides'.

True true. The populist, but generally invented "traditionalist" idea is fairly consistent with conservative political thinking. 

They don't seem to stand for any one identifiable ideal (except arguably the status quo), but rather they tend to stand against what they interpret a perceived enemy as being for.

No, you're pretty on the mark. "Against" is the defining trait.

Even the repeated cry for free speech falls silent immediately when journalists evidently 'censor' unsuccessful and unreleased games with their deplorable potential exercise of free speech rights. :rolleyes:

I don't know if I have this fully formed idea, but part of me is struggling with the american political conservative aspect of GG, because conservatism even in it's current unhinged state is pretty moralistically christian, where GG is (to me) into objectifying women (ie the DOAXXX thing). i know it started as a kind of moralizing prudish campaign against a woman, but i don't believe they're interested in promoting prudish morality. misogynistic, not puritanical. 

i think they succumb to the worst conspiratorial aspects of mindset of modern conservatism, but i don't think the young people are viable republicans. campus libertarian dinguses maybe. 

I don't think GG is about objectifying women as much as "no woman should tell me what to do." Various broken parts of Christianity have been all for that going a long time back. It's only recently that things have gotten better on that front.

By the way let's not forget that Milo co-opted GG so that he can have a secure reader base. All he has to do is pander to them once in a while with shit that fits their hateful agenda. Such as,

CVvZ-8OUAAAwoo4.jpg

GameGate strikes me as a reactionary movement, which is why it seems vaguely conservative but doesn't really cohere into anything.

The comparison with the religious right is surprisingly apt: the religious right is largely a political movement that uses evangelical Christianity as a cover for various reactionary political goals (never mind that evangelical Christianity is itself morally bankrupt, being devised as a way to invent a flavour of Christianity that could justify owning slaves). Their stance on abortion, for instance, was deliberately inverted in the 70s.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize gamergate as libertarian, but they do take on that bent when it suits them.  They're all for free speech when someone agrees with them, and totally against it and attempt to rationalize or downplay fear tactics and threats when someone says something they don't agree with.  I'd definitely say their a political movement at their core, but giving them a label like that to me suggests a coherence that doesn't actually exist.  Oddly enough, I think Gamgergate's ideology has a lot in common with the idea of

(assuming that is the right word).  Their goal isn't to prove their point, but only to disprove or cast doubt on yours.

Mark Kern doesn't understand a brand name growing when he sees it:

CVxnxRPWcAAg_Po.png

In case anyone missed it, Feminist Frequency has updated their Twitter account to not just be Anita Sarkeesian; it now has a logo and more affiliated content than Tropes vs Women. Also, I wonder where the "set back 20 years" comment is being spoken from.

Yes, I saw that. I'm also getting more of a team vibe from the tweets now, and I lllllike it. :)

If Sarkeesian has set video games back another 20 years, where are video games now exactly? 1920?

Also, Mark Kern at least has definitely NOT set video games back 20 years! In fact, he was a tripping hazard turned stepping stone in demonstrating the stupidity of AAA extravagance.

I'm looking forward to his reaction when he finds out that these changes all mean a significant expansion of the feministfrequency project. :eyebrow:

By the way let's not forget that Milo co-opted GG so that he can have a secure reader base. All he has to do is pander to them once in a while with shit that fits their hateful agenda. Such as,

CVvZ-8OUAAAwoo4.jpg

I don't understand how an average GGer would go for ancillary content like this. Wouldn't the use of birth control lead to the greater possibility of unprotected sex? Or is it just that GGers aren't getting laid at all, so they concern themselves with female purity?

Or is it just that GGers aren't getting laid at all, so they concern themselves with female purity?

Can we not go there? And not just because an outspokenly gay, outspokenly christian man seems concerned with female purity here?

Ridicule and memeification are Yiannopoulos' as well as gamergate's only available borderline verbal weapons, so they are used liberally. That's better than their other routes, really. As to why: We've experienced quite well three pages ago how Yiannopoulos looks if he actually tries to make sense in a debate. So consequently, he just doesn't try.

Why can't we go there? It's a fairly common characteristic for these types of people - or at least one they frequently vocalize, even if they don't believe it. They often blame their lack of sex on women for having "too high" standards for their potential partners.

Why can't we go there? It's a fairly common characteristic for these types of people - or at least one they frequently vocalize, even if they don't believe it. They often blame their lack of sex on women for having "too high" standards for their potential partners.

I agree that "angry and bitter virgin or celibate" is perhaps a partial means for understanding the pathology of individual members of #GamerGate, but not for the movement as a whole. There are an overwhelming number of virgins and celibate people, even ones who are angry or bitter about the fact, that do not terrorize and harass anyone.

Yes I was specifically speaking within the context of GG-types. And more specifically within the context of GG-types that Milo is pandering to, there.

Even if Milo is openly gay, he undeniably hums the same tune as the hostile incel-types, because he knows that's a good way to rope them in.

There's a lot of baggage problematic baggage in insinuating that not getting laid makes people hateful of women. Surely GamerGators have done enough shitty actions that criticism and insults can be based on things they actually did instead of patriarchal assertions.

The thing of it is, I suspect any number of these fuckos would still be bitter, angry sexists even if they were getting laid.