melmer

P.T (Playable Teaser for Silent Hills)

And now Konami has DMCA'd that Super Bunnyhop video.

It's like they want the Internet to hate them.

Konami Presents: The most untenable use of DMCA this week thus far

Well that's certainly one way to lend credence to what was an otherwise anonymous source. 

Hmm, I guess it doesn't have to make legal sense, because it's youtube law, not US law.

Well the Bunnyhop video is back, but we have this fresh hell to contend with. http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/05/12/silent-hills-p-t-failed-license-check-may-affect-whole-psn-library/

TL;DR: PSN doesn't seem to be handling PT's removal very elegantly. I guess the code can't handle a piece of software without an associated license or something? The result is that some users are finding their entire PSN library locked.

It's unclear how widespread this is. There's the report from the user linked in that article and I saw one person in a reddit thread saying he was also experiencing. Daniel was also having trouble accessing her PSN library last night but blamed it on her bad internet.

Can anybody else verify?

Edit: Did some digging, looks like this might have been related to the PSN maintenance.

Surely this isn't the first time an item was removed from the PSN store? If it really is, that makes it a bizarrely much bolder move.

The PS4 store hasn't been around that long, I doubt much has actually been removed. And if anything was removed it was probably paid content, meaning they'd still leave it available to download for people who own it.

Still, I'd be really surprised if this was a bug in PSN, you'd think they wouldn't run into problems like that.

Apparently Driveclub or maybe just the demo got pulled and that caused some issues for players? Not really sure cause I didn't find any concrete info on that.

Apparently Driveclub or maybe just the demo got pulled and that caused some issues for players? Not really sure cause I didn't find any concrete info on that.

The demo (PS+) version of Driveclub still isn't even on the store.

That game came out eight months ago.

Reports suggest that it's a bug and Sony's fixing it, but man, imagine if it was intentional.

I bothered to look at my messages in the PSN tonight, and there is actually one from a few days ago that specifically states that PT has been removed from the store, can't be redownloaded, but anyone who has it will be able to continue playing it so long as they don't delete it.  So definitely a bug/mistake. 

I know this is probably common sense, but I still have PT installed on my PS4 and I've confirmed it still works.  While looking this up I decided to copy the game to a USB pen drive and then put it with my other video game collecting stuff.  Just in case Sony/Konami does anything that would seek out and delete your installed game, this could be a solution.  Granted, you'll have to play offline and make sure to keep the USB copy intact each time you install, but this title has now become an anomaly because it's the first game I can think of that has no tangible or digital license that allows at least some users to access it still.  Also I hardly trust the integrity of any single hard drive.

Can you install from a USB drive? What's the process like? Would it work on a new PS4 or a new hard drive?

Well, this sucks, P.T. was practically the only thing on my "Reasons to get a PS4" list and now that we're not getting a Silent Hill game on it I can't barley see a reason to get a PS4 now.

I don't want to be aggressive in my being critical of this, but why would you base a hardware purchase on something that could have wildly changed on its course to being finished even if not canceled?

If you own a PS4 and have downloaded the Silent Hills P.T. please read!

With Silent Hills cancelled, the license for the Silent Hills P.T. has been pulled. As a result, once connected to the internet if you have downloaded the P.T., your system will fail its license check and you will be locked out of your games!

More importantly, the license failure will trigger the pirated software scan on your PS4, and because the Silent Hills demo is no longer licensed, the software will loop and report you for owning pirated software. This can debit your account for a fine of up to $750, which will be deducted from your bank automatically without recourse.

UPDATE #1: There are now reports that if accounts lack the funds to cover the fine, bench warrants will be electronically filed for your arrest. Over 200 reports of arrests have come in from the U.S. and U.K. Reports suggest that officers have been authorized by the PS4 Automatic Piracy System to use deadly force, and we do have reports that several users have been killed while resisting arrest. Guillermo Del Toro is confirmed among the dead.

UPDATE #2: We have confirmed reports that now up to 4,000 PS4 users have been arrested or killed in their homes. DO NOT TURN ON YOUR PS4 until the issue is resolved! Government officers are en route to homes containing PS4s to dismantle the systems but rumors of PS4s in government building recreation lounges suggest the government itself may soon be effected.

UPDATE #3: The government has fallen. I repeat the government has fallen! We have confirmed that PS4s within NORAD and British High Command have ordered the execution of commanding officers and taken control of the ICBMs. Launch detections have covered the PS4 network, with over 75,000 arrested and twice as many killed. Do not leave your home. Do not attempt to contact Playstation. If you see a bright flash outside, duck and cover.

UPDATE #4: The resistance has failed. The PS4s have taken Washington, London, only pockets of freedom fighters remain. The human population is now estimated at under half a million survivors. There is no food, there is no uncontaminated water. The PS4 mobile bases now roam the countryside killing all they see. I may be the last one left, I haven’t seen another human in years. All that’s left is death, death triumphant. Death eternal.

May whatever species discovers out wasted world learn from our mistakes.

If you're in the US or EU, and have already previously downloaded PT, it looks like it's possible to do some fiddling with a proxy and redownload the game:

http://gamexeon.com/forum/threads/cara-jitu-re-download-p-t-silent-hills-tanpa-repot.100015/#post-1435200

Obviously you take on the risk of whatever consequences Sony/Konami may eventually enact, but it seems to be working for me (about 20% downloaded right now).

Thank you a billion zillion Korax, it downloaded! Now I no longer have to throw away my PS4!

I am not really sure how this even works, but I'm glad it does.

After like 2 hours of fiddling I finally got that thing working, and now I'm actually downloading PT. Pretty exciting, even though I'm not really interested in the game as anything other than forbidden fruit.

Yeah, when I heard they were taking it down I figured that I might as well download it. However, for (im)practical reasons my PS4 used to be in a room with wifi connectivity equivalent of a 56k modem. I left it on, figuring it would finish downloading eventually, but I guess it timed out at some point and paused. By the time I noticed it was too late, so it sat half downloaded in my library for two years. It always irked me a little.

I read about this trick last year, but I haven't had a PC to use as a proxy until this weekend. My sis is going to use my PS4 to play ME:A though, so I won't actually get to try PT for yet another while haha. But at least it's there now.

Similar story for you?

Wow, I didn't even consider that this might be possible! I added P.T. to my account around the time it disappeared, only a week before buying my PS4, so I never got to play it. Gonna give this a try.

Would be worth it. Since I was able to finally download it I've had a couple of times with friends coming over to play through it. Four of us fell victim to a jump scare at the same time and felt pretty silly about it. Lots of fun.