melmer

P.T (Playable Teaser for Silent Hills)

They put out something playable, even though it might not have ended up being representative of the final game that's at least more than people had to go on for say Prey 2, or hell, even The Last Guardian.

I guess I should download this even though I'm not that into horror.

Is there a store link that works for the UK? I can't find it :(

I found it under Demos, not Games.

I find the way that the gaming community flip-flops between "hype is killing the industry" and tearing their clothes in mourning of a nebulously-existing possible-game quite interesting.

I think people are much more upset about P.T. going away than about Silent Hills, and I think the 'mourning' you're seeing is mostly because people's interest was piqued when P.T. actually was good.

Yeah, I think there's a huge difference between getting excited about a 10-minute E3 demo and getting excited about, like, a game that I have on my PS4 and am able to play right now. It sold me on the idea that maybe they cared about Silent Hill in a way that they clearly haven't done in years, and was fucking scary to boot. I don't know about mourning, but I think it's definitely a damn shame. If that final project was going to be anything like PT then it would have been right up my alley.

How long until we see a Kojima kickstarter, you think?

Thanks Merus :)

I don't have a PS4, but I figured that it was worth adding to my account in case I did get one in the future.

There's definitely an amount of exaggeration, but when I can load up a Twitter feed and half the things I see are games writers posting some variation of "Silent Hills cancelled  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: ," "mourning" is the word that immediately pops into my head.

I also think it's a mistake to use PT as a yardstick for the progress made on Silent Hills. It may be a complete game in its own right, but content-wise, it's an L-shaped hallway with a few small side areas (and I'm really, genuinely not trying to start a "what is game" debate). Unless a large portion of Silent Hills was going to take place in a similar hallway, there's a long way to go from there.

All of which should definitely be taken with a grain of salt, because although I like the concept, I didn't find the execution of PT to be very interesting or impressive.

Huh.  Konami is a huge company right, we just happen think of them as a gaming company, but they are much more diverse than that.  I wonder if all this is actually more related to their other business interests, or if maybe there is an interest in leaving video games completely.  That would explain the ousting of Kojima from the board.

Did they already pull the game? It's not on whatever version of the store I have.

edit: oh, I found it. This store isn't great though.

I'm not always a fan of Mr. Weidman's commentary but he did some investigative work on the whole Konami/Kojima situation that seems pretty interesting. Not sure how much I trust his sources but if they're telling the truth it could be that they're pulling out of AAA games.

Hopefully Kojima will be able to find another publisher that will finance his insanity.

So previous reports that P.T. would still be downloadable for anyone who had previously acquired a license seem to be changing.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/5/8557807/pt-silent-hills-demo-pulled

Excuse me while I go and make sure I still have a copy downloaded. Gonna have to play it every few months to stop it from being uninstalled automatically.

If the next step is them deleting it remotely from everyone's hard drives I fully expect some dramatic shit fits from around the internet. 

Well, this sucks, P.T. was practically the only thing on my "Reasons to get a PS4" list and now that we're not getting a Silent Hill game on it I can't barley see a reason to get a PS4 now.

I was just able to find PT in my download list on the Playstation Store website and add it to my PS4 download queue. I can't check to see if it's actually going to download right now, but it's worth a shot.

I wonder if there would be less negativity around the delisting et al if PT wasn't released as PT and instead a "Silent Hills Demo". By posing it as its own game and having the weird viral marketing campaign behind it, Konami essentially inflated it into something Important while still purporting that it's essentially equivalent to a demo.

Maybe it would be different if I cared about Silent Hills or if I wasn't a video game baby, but the removal of a demo without much ceremony doesn't seem particularly offensive or tragic to me.

I don't think it's the fact that it was released under the premise of being its own game but that it is its own game. It's very much a standalone thing and actually pretty good, so its sad to see a unique little horror title just vanish like that. They should just remove the Silent Hills promo at the end and leave it up. Or if they really want to be tightwads about it, charge $5 for it from now on or something. They obviously don't care about negative press.

Or if they really want to be tightwads about it, charge $5 for it from now on or something. They obviously don't care about negative press.

I was thinking they might try something like this.  Maybe just slap an HD on there for the fun of it.  PT-HD!

It's particularly weird because they basically did the exact same thing with Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain and yet PT is somehow less worthy of being considered as a real game that Ground Zeroes is. I'm not saying PT shouldn't be considered it's own game, just that Konami is being oddly inconsistent in the handling of these games.

It's particularly weird because they basically did the exact same thing with Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain and yet PT is somehow less worthy of being considered as a real game that Ground Zeroes is. I'm not saying PT shouldn't be considered it's own game, just that Konami is being oddly inconsistent in the handling of these games.

Didn't they get a lot of flak for charging so much for what was essentially a playable teaser? (though I heard Ground Zeroes was robust and had a decent amount of stuff to do, even if it did seem like a fraction of a 'full' game)

I was just able to find PT in my download list on the Playstation Store website and add it to my PS4 download queue. I can't check to see if it's actually going to download right now, but it's worth a shot.

Update: Nope! The listing exists in just enough of a form to allow you to initiate the download and then error out when it doesn't find anything.

So I wonder if it's possible for someone to backup the game on their PS4 and then share it with someone else (who has the license, but can't redownload it).  Is this the birth of bootleg PT copies?

Maybe it would be different if I cared about Silent Hills or if I wasn't a video game baby, but the removal of a demo without much ceremony doesn't seem particularly offensive or tragic to me.

It's because it's a demo for a game which everyone now knows won't ever get made and that is all that is left to show of it. Then add to that that only an exclusive number of people now have it. It's not often a playable demo comes out publicly for a cancelled game (examples?) and usually all you get is a trailer or two instead.