GUYS I interviewed Tim Schafer for Tone Control

https://www.idlethumbs.net/tonecontrol/episodes/tim-schafer

April 1, 2014 Few creators in the games industry are fortunate enough to have decades-long careers, much less ones where their own work and that of their studio is constantly vital and inspiring. Between leading projects like Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, Brutal Legend and Broken Age, and facilitating the creation of games like Costume Quest, Stacking, and more at Double Fine, Tim Schafer is one of those lucky few. Listen in as I blitz through the long, long career of this incredibly old man.

I hope he has some news about the future of Torchlight, now that he and his brother have parted ways.

Haha, you got me. Nice one Steve! I just started listening to the cast and found that it's actually just 2 hours worth of white noise, and then I realised what the date was. Lol

So when is the Tim Schafer episode actually getting released?

Great episode. That's like 25 years of Video game history around Tim in less than 2 hours.

"Stay small, don't lose any money, and just try to be the best." --Tim's description of Lucasarts' original mission statement. One of my favorite things on Tone Control, and I think maybe the best possible mission statement for any creative enterprise.

That is a great mission statement. I think I've heard it from Ron Gilbert's mouth as well at some point in the past, at least, I recall it from earlier.

Here's a nice companion piece to this episode: over at Ron Gilbert's blog he's been posting random notes about Monkey Island, this is the stuff Tim presumably had to work with when he was scripting stuff in SCUMM.

grumpygamer.com

Here's a nice companion piece to this episode: over at Ron Gilbert's blog he's been posting random notes about Monkey Island, this is the stuff Tim presumably had to work with when he was scripting stuff in SCUMM.

grumpygamer.com

Whoa, Monkey Island could have had the "Interface with the Animus" concept from Assassin's Creed...

This was great, wish it could have gone for another hour to expand on the Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, and current stuff. 

This was great, wish it could have gone for another hour to expand on the Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, and current stuff. 

Yeah, same! My talk with Levine also doesn't go deep on the more recent stuff, because I just ran out of time with both of them. I need to learn how to pace myself! Oh well, I think they're fun chats anyway. The one with Jake Solomon is actually one of my favorites I think because we have fewer titles to talk about and end up going off the beaten path more.

Having recently witnessed the glory of several of Tim Schafer's games for the first time, I think this is a mandatory listen. Even without the lens of nostalgia I am finding these games to be quite excellent and I am super interested to hear what he has to say. I'm in the middle of playing through Grim Fandango for the first time though and just wondering if I am safe to listen to this cast in it's entirety or if I should skip the GF stuff until I finish. 

I did an audible "fuck yesss" when I saw this on the RSS feed. I listened to this at work. What a great interview, I wish it lasted forever ^_^. I gotta say Steve I'm really in love with this podcast.

Also the last episode with Ryan Payton was one of my favorites so far.

I look forward to more.

Man, what a cool guy. The only Tim Schafer games I've played are Psychonauts and Broken Age, so I'm thinking I should check out some of his older work. Any suggestions for where to start?

Having recently witnessed the glory of several of Tim Schafer's games for the first time, I think this is a mandatory listen. Even without the lens of nostalgia I am finding these games to be quite excellent and I am super interested to hear what he has to say. I'm in the middle of playing through Grim Fandango for the first time though and just wondering if I am safe to listen to this cast in it's entirety or if I should skip the GF stuff until I finish. 

I think you're safe to listen. They mostly talk about the game's origin and development. I guess they mention how many "years" the game takes place over so if you consider that a spoiler maybe wait on it?

Man, what a cool guy. The only Tim Schafer games I've played are Psychonauts and Broken Age, so I'm thinking I should check out some of his older work. Any suggestions for where to start?

I'd say Monkey Island.

Anyway, good 'cast. It was really interesting listening to how the Star Wars IP initially enhanced and then ultimately ruined LucasArts.

Yeah, that was really fascinating. Also, that glimpse into the ever present corporate mindset of not realizing the value in the thing you have, vs the thing it might be more profitable. I had always thought the LA games sold better than I guess they did. This probably speaks more to my own preferences but I feel like it's an easy call to say all the non-star wars (excepting Tie Fighter) games are more valuable than any of the LA SW games. 

Also, for TSiaG, every game he's worked on is worth playing. Not a dud in the lot. I would just start at the beginning and go through. 

I also really liked the exploration of adventure games as concepts, and the idea of being perpetually stuck. I loved Broken Age, but I think it was a little lighter than it needed to be in terms interaction. I understand the reservations, but there is some real value in puzzles being more than square peg in square hole.  

I would hold off if you haven't played Full Throttle yet, but for Grim there wasn't any real spoiler stuff.

I think you're safe to listen. They mostly talk about the game's origin and development. I guess they mention how many "years" the game takes place over so if you consider that a spoiler maybe wait on it?

I would hold off if you haven't played Full Throttle yet, but for Grim there wasn't any real spoiler stuff.

Thanks guys. Luckily I already got through Full Throttle so it sounds like I'm good to go.

I'd vote for Full Throttle

I'd vote for Full Throttle

Same. If you've played Psychonauts and broken age my (maybe weird) recommended play order would be Full Throttle, Monkey Island 1&2, DOTT, Grim Fandango.

Maniac mansion obviously.

Troll post? Schafer didn't work on that game.

Same. If you've played Psychonauts and broken age my (maybe weird) recommended play order would be Full Throttle, Monkey Island 1&2, DOTT, Grim Fandango.

I think Jake is right. Also even though Tim didn't work on it I would throw Sam & Max in there between Monkey2 and DOTT for whatever reason.

Troll post? Schafer didn't work on that game.

Uh in the cast you'll find that due to his two weeks of work on the NES version Tim Schafer IS credited with the creation of Maniac Mansion, and that Ron Gilbert loves this.

One time I saw Full Throttle at a thrift store and didn't buy it because it was more than a dollar and "I don't really like motorcycles."

As Kenny Chesney once said, I think we'd all do a lot of things different.

I think Jake is right. Also even though Tim didn't work on it I would throw Sam & Max in there between Monkey2 and DOTT for whatever reason.

I wouldn't, but my opinion of that game has changed a lot over the years. I still think it's hilarious, but I think it has horrible flow and sags in the back half. All of Tim's LucasArts games have rough patches too but none as long as Hit the Road.