Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

Destroy Remo's Life in One Easy Step

The Threes making-of article does have a fantastic little tidbit near the top about how 2048 games can be played almost optimally by repeatedly pressing up/right until nothing happens, and then pressing left, and back to up/right. It hasn't worked perfectly for me, but you can play for quite some time using this method. 

Does anyone find that Threes kills the battery life? Even with the 'Conserve Battery' setting enabled, my (Android) phone gets super hot and dies faster than usual. Also, what does that setting actually change? I can't see anything different.

Why would a slow-paced game without complex graphics or background processing use up so much power?

The preserve battery setting lowers the FPS. Threes is a total resource hog for some reason, yeah. I think it goes with their ultra-high fidelity nerdiness.

Oh my gosh, yes. Nothing crushes battery life like Threes does. This is the only thing that has run my battery down to the point of me charging it prior to going to bed since I got an iPhone, the whole purpose of which was that it had good strong battery life compared to the Android phones I'd been using.

2584, aka Fibonacci 2048 is destroying my life a la Chris and the Doge.  It's amazing, thus I am cool with said life destruction.  Also, I don't think it's harder, you just have to unlearn some things (for instance, having lots of the same number is suddenly a really really bad thing).

Also, Frob:

3. [from the MUD world] A command on some MUDs that changes a player's experience level (this can be used to make wizards); also, to request wizard privileges on the ‘professional courtesy’ grounds that one is a wizard elsewhere. The command is actually ‘frobnicate’ but is universally abbreviated to the shorter form. (from The Jargon File: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/F/frob.html)

(edit: The forum software somehow just preserved the hyperlinks in the text I just pasted from another website.  Which is horrifying)

The Threes making-of article does have a fantastic little tidbit near the top about how 2048 games can be played almost optimally by repeatedly pressing up/right until nothing happens, and then pressing left, and back to up/right. It hasn't worked perfectly for me, but you can play for quite some time using this method. 

Wowwwww I just tried this and got 6x higher score than when I tried to play it for real. I was just watching magic happen.

I'm a little disappointed nobody got my lame joke.

Someone make a version of 2048 using WipEout cars.

More like San Francisco RUSH 2048.

There actually was a WipEout 2048 though SF Rush was 2049.

I got it! I own Wipeout 2048 (and by own, I mean "got free from PS+)! I just didn't say anything!

The thing about 2048 that I found infuriating is that each tile slides all the way to an edge when moved, not just one grid-tile over. I don't know, I think Threes got it right. Or maybe I'm spoiled by having played that first. Still, pretty good (you're right - dat lerp).

That said, me knowing nothing about Spelunky and not knowing which monster combines into which monster led me to just mash WASD randomly at maximum speed, resulting in a score of 2332. So I'm pretty pleased.