Sign in to follow this  
Sno

Evolve

So there's been some footage coming out for Turtle Rock's first post-Valve game.

Based on the initial descriptions of the game, i was expecting something more like a survival horror, but it definitely looks very shooty.

So a squad of differently-classed marines with powerful weapons and limited supplies have to hunt down, in a large open-ended environment with many spots to hide, an evolving monster that grows as it feeds on ambient creatures that are hostile to both parties.

Sounds like there will be different monsters on the different levels and victory states beyond just wiping out the other team.

Seems neat.

I hate this game for its name. It hurt me inside to hear that guy say that the monster "evolves" into a bigger monster.

It looks pretty interesting, but if all you do is constantly hold down the trigger and aim it at either the monster or your team mates I can imagine it getting pretty tedious and repetitive after a while. 

That's kind of my worry, that the monster will just be one really, really, really bullet-spongy enemy that you have to grind down. It feels like there's a lot of ways this game could go wrong in the details of game balance.

It'd be cool if it took a few cues from Monster Hunter, like if there would be ways to wound the monster and force the person playing it to adopt different strategies, thus changing up the dynamic of the fight as it drags on. (As opposed to a simple progression of bad to worse, with the monster leveling up as it apparently does.)

Can the monster feed on the humans too?

This game looks fun, but I'd like to see what the other game modes are. Also, as the humans - killing big AI monsters gives you buffs. But does that mean they can't be eaten by the titan monster player? Making him be able to heal/level up?

It would be cool if the hunters could disable the monster's attacks. Like shooting the mouth could destroy his flame-thrower attack, or shooting off his tail gives you 2 carves and he can't use it for a swing attack. I think it'd mean that people wouldn't just spray 'n' pray at the monster.

From what I read it sounded like while the monster can take a beating from 1, maybe 2 people, it can't really survive getting pummeled by everyone.

So it's Predator: The Multiplayer Video Game.

Some of my most exciting and memorable multiplayer experiences are from playing co-op Left 4 Dead on Expert with my friends, so the fact that Evolve is coming out of Turtle Rock Studios has me very excited. If they can maintain variety on both the human and monster side of gameplay, and if the human side is more than just bullet sponge shooting (i.e. smaller enemies with AI Director-esque gameplay scenarios), this could be an incredibly fun game. I love the Alien vs. Predator vibe of the jungle environment, too, though I'm curous to see what other environments they have in store. I'd love to see more games implement this style of co-op. Very interested in this...

I'm definitely interested in this given the developer's pedigree. L4D is fun to play endlessly, and counterstrike? What needs to even be said about counterstrike. Possibly the greatest FPS of all time. Will definitely buy this.

I got into the PC alpha too. Probably will be playing Saturday morning and then Sunday. Feel free to hit me up on steam for some human teamwork. I'm really really excited to try the monster though.

I was in on the XB1 alpha last night (also in the PC one, but not dice yet on the PS4) and I can share a few notes:

-Load times were a bit ridiculous.  Given how the XB1 transfers memory and loads, this is not completely surprising and to be honest I do TitanFall on PC so I don't know what those matches are like.  I basically spent about 2-4 minutes loading a game that lasted about 5-8 minutes.

-UI in the alpha is quite lackluster.  There's almost no explanation to the classes, controls, and basic premise of the game, but if you get someone who knows what they're doing you can usually get a quick tutorial from them and then spread the word.

-Lots of idiots thinking they are playing CoD in the alpha last night.  It's very Left 4 Dead in that you have to stick together and you have to communicate.  I got snagged by a plant that I can't get out of unless a teammate helps me and all 3 of them walked past me, ignoring me, and let me die.  One was even a bot, which makes this even more stupid, hope the AI gets tweaked enough that it would actually save you if there are bots in your game (although you can take over the bot if you die).  What was even more funny about this situation was that I was the trapper so I had all the utilities to find and maintain the monster so my team was completely out of luck and blindly wandering once I was taken out by the plant.  Clearly they didn't understand the game because they were then wondering why that "dome thingy" didn't automatically drop when we found the monster (the trapper does this manually and I was dead).  In the end they all spread out and tried shooting the thing old school boss style and were taken out in just about 3 seconds.  At this point those playing the monster have the best advantage, but it's so easy to kill a team that they aren't having much fun themselves.  Somehow the big "stay together!", "communicate!", "help each other!", and "focus on the monster!" prompts on the screen were completely ignored by a majority of players.

This game, much like left for dead, is about a team that has all the tools to find, contain, and kill the monster, but it requires teamwork, communication, and leadership.  If you get a game like that - which I eventually did - it's awesome.  Most of the time though I was getting guys who consistently quit, shot everything that moved, ignored teammates, and the team was picked off without getting much of a chance with the monster.  Play with friends if you can, make the trapper your leader when hunting, then protect her (it's always a specific character) while she keeps the monster contained and the rest of team unloads on it.

I played a couple of games. Matchmaking on the PC is a mess, but once you get in the game seems pretty good. We played against a monster who didn't really know what he was doing and one who did, and the difference was huge. Nice to see that there's some skill involved in the game.

I won't be playing tonight, but I have three codes for PC:

E6HIX-TM7WN-F00GE 
E6HJC-3AAIQ-HBJ56 
E6HJC-IZHXE-42ZN3