Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I got relatively far, but had almost no money then an embarrassing death in the black market:

(The weird pause in the first minute is this mystery process I have that steals focus at some point whenever I play Spelunky, but only once and only in the first few minutes. I've checked it out and can't find anything obvious; it's driving me a little nuts).

After about 1000 deaths total between Vita and PC, I seem to have hit a wall where I don't consistently get past the jungle at all :(

Ugh... died on spikes in 1-2, really stupid

Bahaha, I beat you! For some reason, that is very satisfying. I've come to see everyone who posts in this thread as Spelunky pros. :P

A nice cascade of hurt prevented me from entering the mother ship. I thought I might have been able to complete it this time considering I managed to survive a black market raid and had bombs, jetpack, and a shotgun. Also, my escape from the black market was a really close call.

wtf... you can bring the idol to the shop?

wtf#2... the ball won't roll when you're fast enough delivering the idol?

Oh goddamnit! I thought the entrance would appear above him.

EkxeMKP.jpg

Well anyways, it was the first time ever I reached the City of Gold. Made my way through it, got the book, beat the guardian (I'm especially satisfied how I didn't panic and even managed to kill him). And this was in today's daily, so I was sweating like a nun at a cucumber farm during the dark temple level.

I managed to cleanly kill three of the four spiders that were down the hallway to the altar in today's daily. The fourth didn't go so well.

Congrats Spork!

I had taken some time away from Spelunky, and was a bit rusty tonight.  But after a few warmups, I had a couple of good runs deep into the Ice Caverns with good equipment.  Both times got instakilled due to not being patient enough.  I think I'm really close to at least being able to beat Olmec.  On one of those runs, I had the jetpack, 33 bombs, 7 health, the Kapala and a bunch of other stuff.  I thought for sure I had it in the bag that time.

Nothing really special today, except that I've had the habbit to screwing things up. So I died in the jungle because I screwed up a drop.

After about 1000 deaths total between Vita and PC, I seem to have hit a wall where I don't consistently get past the jungle at all :(

Less than a day after saying this, I idly brought it up on the vita and beat Olmec for the first time. Including a dark temple level. Hopefully I can start doing it in the dailies.

I was wondering how the randomization works on that. It definitely depends on what altars you use. Not sure if the sacrifice itself matters.

I saw someone else's daily and they got a compass on the same altar I used. Oh I guess I did sacrifice the hired help instead of the damsel? Hmm..

Woot!  I beat Olmec for the first time, and on the Daily Challenge for Friday no less!  Strange evening, I did some warm up runs that were terrible.  Mostly died in the caves.  Figured screw it, I'll just do the challenge and then play something else.  And as soon as the challenge run started I was in a zone.  Had a few close calls in the Temple, but otherwise it was probably the single best run I've ever made.

post-33601-0-95743800-1390036001_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-33857100-1390036007_thumb.jpg

Flipping hell (no pun intended), made it all the way to Yama in today's daily. Didn't beat him though. I wrongly assumed that the skulls would stop falling after I destroyed his hands. I had tons of health, so I probably would've been fine, if it wasn't for that one set of spikes...

But now I know the name of the game, so it's just a matter of time now. Yama, I'm coming for you, motherfucker.

Spork, we suffered *exactly* the same death. Those tiki traps plus the drop were a harsh combo.

(pause at 4:30ish is a person walking into the room for a conversation)

I'm also finding that the Kapala often gets me killed by tempting me into close proximity with enemies. On most runs, I focus on getting it early as possible and harvesting blood. The first time beating Olmec, I got it so late I forgot I had it, and carried on concentrating on getting through levels instead of making health.

I'm also finding that the Kapala often gets me killed by tempting me into close proximity with enemies. On most runs, I focus on getting it early as possible and harvesting blood. The first time beating Olmec, I got it so late I forgot I had it, and carried on concentrating on getting through levels instead of making health.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the Kapala, at least for the way I play the game. My best, most recent game, I had almost thirty health from the Kapala and Kali, but that did me jack shit when I brushed up against some lava, so yeah... I don't know.

I think you're right. Similarly, on a recent run into the temple, I spotted an opportunity to try that cheap way of getting health from bile while hanging on a ledge. It got me up to around sixty health, but there were plenty of things that quickly killed me within a level or two while being incautious. The run I succeeded on, I spent the last few levels and Olmec with just 1 health.