Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 127: His Boss Encounter

Hahah Chris when they're pointing at their 3DS's: "Oh my god they're everywhere."

I'm right in reading this weeks episode title, "His Boss Encounter," with the same cadence as "His Dark Materials," right? Because that's the only way my brain reads it.

Man, Arkham City. A game I mostly enjoyed that I thought was worse than it's predecessor in a lot of ways. I remember that Catwoman ending, and I didn't really mind it that much. I agree that the way they treat it with the rewind is pretty bad, but I enjoyed having the choice. It kind of reminded me of all those obvious death traps in Portal 2 you can walk into just for fun to hear reactions and what not. The one thing I'm surprised Sean didn't mention is the super overwrought voice over the credits in which you hear that basically the entire world is ruined without Batman, and not a single one of his Batcohorts could pick up the slack and stop the Joker, or help him.

Haven't played the NSMB or Luigi's Mansion Bwo, but it's kinda interesting that having characters join in with the music, can have entirely opposite effects in different games. In one it messes up the timing every once in a while, in the other it adds in more character and draws you in.

There was another thing I thought of, a line I'm super surprised wasn't the episode title, but I can't recall it now.

The other thing the spelunky "death clock" reader mail reminded me of was the Final Destination movies. (This was also spurred by Sean's fatalistic direction of conversation)

In Final Destination, the audience watches as a series of seemingly benign events cascade, like some hideous Rube Goldberg machine, into the grisly death of one of the film's many disposable characters. A glass of water will spill near an electric socket causing the fireplace to turn on and superheat the stoker which will fly into a guys neck for example.

I've often felt during exceptionally quiet moments when I am alone that maybe I'm a character in Final Destination and the scary theme music is queuing up for some unseen audience as a deadly sequence of events begins leading to me dying in a stupid and embarrassing way.

I wonder if the next time Chris plays the daily challenge, he too will get the sneaking suspicion that events have unfolded that would dull his ill-earned confidence if he could see his run as an onlooker in the not-so-distant future.

The other thing the spelunky "death clock" reader mail reminded me of was the Final Destination movies. (This was also spurred by Sean's fatalistic direction of conversation)

In Final Destination, the audience watches as a series of seemingly benign events cascade, like some hideous Rube Goldberg machine, into the grisly death of one of the film's many disposable characters. A glass of water will spill near an electric socket causing the fireplace to turn on and superheat the stoker which will fly into a guys neck for example.

I've often felt during exceptionally quiet moments when I am alone that maybe I'm a character in Final Destination and the scary theme music is queuing up for some unseen audience as a deadly sequence of events begins leading to me dying in a stupid and embarrassing way.

I wonder if the next time Chris plays the daily challenge, he too will get the sneaking suspicion that events have unfolded that would dull his ill-earned confidence if he could see his run as an onlooker in the not-so-distant future.

It's true that this scene in Final Destination 2 is the truest cinematic depiction of Spelunky possible. The mundane becomes the horrifying.

Jake and Sean getting 3DSs have coincidentally coincided with me finally getting one. Or at least I think it's coincidental. It occurs to me that Idle Thumbs may have such a hold on how I video game that they are the entire subconscious reason I bought this device.

On the subject of last-gen Nintendo handhelds appearing as communicators in Nintendo games, Mario gets emails on a GBA SP in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

lol @ Chris dropping Ursula Leguin knowledge in that audible plug.

Will the Idle Thumbs playthrough of the Yawgh be available on youtube sometime?  For some reason the video isn't showing up on twitch for me.

Thanks, Sean, for bringing me to the realisation that the two Boston Dynamics staff setting up the WyldeKat and then fleeing before it gained self awareness were, in fact, what Pet Men have become.

(Here's the video for anyone that wants further ringtone inspiration)

"Jakes new ringtone" was the episode highlight

Mega Lolz

Low point = splunky chat. I didn't mind it this episode but that shit is going to get old real soon! I'm glad y'all are enjoying your baby game and all that but splunky was so two weeks ago.

Low point = splunky chat. I didn't mind it this episode but that shit is going to get old real soon! I'm glad y'all are enjoying your baby game and all that but splunky was so two weeks ago.

Kinda feeling this way myself. Talk about your nintendo instead.

Oh boy another round of "What should Idle Thumbs talk about?"

I vote Everquest.

This is a dumb thing to say, but has anybody else noticed that Sean is incapable of correctly pronouncing "ostensibly"?

This is a dumb thing to say, but has anybody else noticed that Sean is incapable of correctly pronouncing "ostensibly"?

Man, whatever. It's an epidemic.

This has nothing to do with anything, but how come Chris's Halloween twitter handle is "Ghost Chris Remo" instead of the infinitely superior "Chris Screamo"?

It was "Lord Chris Remo" due to Mington's gift, so the "Lord" became "Ghost".  After all, all Lords are expected to haunt their manors after they depart.

I'm right in reading this weeks episode title, "His Boss Encounter," with the same cadence as "His Dark Materials," right? Because that's the only way my brain reads it.

It reminded me of episode 55's title "His Cyborg Familiar." Which I just saw and realized it was over 2 years ago. How time flies.

Just watched the stream for The Yawhg and am compelled to get the game now. That was pretty awesome and disheartening. Way to go Sean, it's all your fault.