toblix

E3 2013 Idle Thumbs Steam Chat

But the PS4 is going to require PSN+ for multiplayer!? I'm not going to pay a shit load of money just to have a new Journey experience.

But the PS4 is going to require PSN+ for multiplayer!? I'm not going to pay a shit load of money just to have a new Journey experience.

They didn't exactly say that, but they implied it with a couple of PowerPoint slides.

I can't get the image out of my head that Bobby Kotick is going to take advantage of this whole situation somehow and do it in dramatic fashion. Like he's gonna drop down from the rafters in the expo hall wearing a Batman costume, or probably dressed as Nosferatu.

Also, holding an OUYA.

As far as bad news goes, this wasn't exactly a blind-side. The reality is Sony providing their online service for free up 'til now has been incredibly generous of them. The expectation is that the money consumers are paying in (which is, what, $50 a year?) is gonna help the PSN (or PS+, whatever the fuck they're calling it now) with stability and speed problems it has.

Not saying it doesn't suck to lose something that was free. Just trying to give some perspective.

As far as bad news goes, this wasn't exactly a blind-side. The reality is Sony providing their online service for free up 'til now has been incredibly generous of them. The expectation is that the money consumers are paying in (which is, what, $50 a year?) is gonna help the PSN (or PS+, whatever the fuck they're calling it now) with stability and speed problems it has.

Not saying it doesn't suck to lose something that was free. Just trying to give some perspective.

Also, there are occasional deals where you get 15months of ps+ for $60, so another way to think of it is that the $100 price difference between the consoles probably gets you nearly 2 years of ps+.

I'm only now getting to the press shows that were aired during the night here in Europe. So far, Ubisoft has blown EA and Microsoft clear out of the water. The presenter was enthusiastic (if a little 'American', so to speak), the games were almost all of them really good, the presentation was slick. Watch Dogs, The Division, AC Black Flag, Rayman, those are really promising games.

Now onto the Sony thing, which I already hear has been a big win over MS.

There's also the fact that you get free games with Plus.

Yeah, I didn't go there because it seems like xbox live might be following suit in offering free games so they're (maybe?) even on that front. MS was saying stuff about giving games with xbox live now, and there was some speculation that they would/wouldn't continue it on the new console, but I don't think anyone official has said for certain.

Still, PS+ games are games you might actually want/are relatively new for the most part. Not... Assassin's Creed II and Halo 3.

Woke up about 5 minutes before the Nintendo presentation ended.  All I got to see was Mega Man in SSBWU.

I am disappointed they didn't put more of an effort into this presentation. Surely they knew everyone would be watching this and comparing it to the other, big shows? Having a jokeless Iwata droning on and on about yet another stream of mind-boggling sequels (4's, 8's... jesus) was excruciating to behold. I held out some hope that going for Nintendo Direct would be a game-changer, that Nintendo could go their own way and succeed, but lacklustre execution has made this the poorest presentation of E3.

I could not be more bored with more Mario, Donkey Kong, weirdly fetishistic Bayonetta (what was up with that opening pose? ugh)... only Wind Waker in HD made me smile wistfully, but even there no word on extra dungeons, just an added social feature and sharp graphics.

What I want to know is why the announced their product delays during a Nintendo Direct.

Also, apparently there's going to be a "Nintendo Hour" later today.

Come on, Wii U white deluxe bundle...

e01FpWm.png

I watched that Nintendo thing and all I felt was pity.

Man PS4 looks great! I'm glad they made a good-looking and small box for this thing.

It's so ugly! It's either two-toned or half-matte, half-glossy, both of which possibilities are insane. It's also a rhombus for some reason? And then there looks to be a blue LED strip down the middle. Yuck.

It's so nice! Unique without being offensively clashing with the rest if my hooked-up-to-TV shit. Just right.

Sorry I'm just having some fun. I think it looks fine, but mostly I find it hilarious when people get all up in arms a out the way a console looks.

Also: tee bee aitch, wonderful 101, smash bros are more than enough to sell me on a Wii u.

My biggest problem is that the new Mario looks so... bleh.

I'd rather have a galaxy retread. Maybe it'll be fun but I know it won't have online so it doesn't matter to me. |:

It felt weird playing my Xbox 360 last night. As I turned it on I realized we were nearing the end of our relationship. It has been a fun 6 years but sometimes when you love something you have to let it go.

Plus I met a new console named PS4 last night. We stayed up talking for hours and it made some pretty lofty promises but we agreed to wait to take our budding relationship to the next level until this December when we will both be ready to commit to each other.

There was this other console named WiiU that was kind of cute and asked me out but we agreed to just be friends for now. Plus, I think WiiU was kind of drunk.

So that Nintendo Direct was a bust, man. The Wii U is looking more and more troubled.

The most substantial bright spot in all of that was, again, Monolith's upcoming "maybe it's a xenoblade sequel?"

Also,

which is awesome and should have happened long ago.

Hopefully this means that they'll host a full multiplayer infrastructure like MS does. That's one of the main things that pulled me to the X360.

What service is Sony actually providing for free? You mean the avatars, instant messaging, cheevos? Matchmaking? That's often run by devs/publishers. Patches for defective products? Don't I already pay for that when I buy games?

Steam isn't charging me any money to use Steam.