toblix

E3 2013 Idle Thumbs Steam Chat

What service is Sony actually providing for free? You mean the avatars, instant messaging, cheevos? Matchmaking? That's often run by devs/publishers. Patches for defective products? Don't I already pay for that when I buy games?

Steam isn't charging me any money to use Steam.

You know, I really can't think of a good argument to counter this.

I guess the way I look at it is that charging $60 a year (one Starbucks drink per month) is one way for them to offset the costs from selling the console at a loss for some time after it's initial release. Hopefully it means a more robust online offering but as you pointed out, it is hard to justify when you consider the situation on the PC.

Yeah, I'll never defend the multiplayer fee on either system. It's garbage.

But it's also the norm, it'll never change, and it's not a huge cost. I doubt I'd really mind if I actually do end up getting a PS4.

That said, I never paid for Gold when I owned a 360, because I had no one to play with. I'd probably buy the PS4 for the singleplayer games.

Steam isn't charging me any money to use Steam.

Not yet.  (I'm not sure if I mean that seriously or not)

I'm honestly not very impressed or pleased with any of the new consoles.  Most of it seems like stuff I already have/can do, or are things I don't care about.  I feel like it's less a step forward and more like it's NOT a step back.  Maybe I'm being overly negative but if I had to pick either the Xbone or PS4, right now I'd pick neither.

If anybody here live near a Best Buy and wants to give impressions, they would be appreciated. ehehehe

The nearest Best Buy is approximately 5800 kilometers removed from my current location. Thanks for the amazing E3 experience, Nintendo!

Yeah, I'll never defend the multiplayer fee on either system. It's garbage.

But it's also the norm, it'll never change, and it's not a huge cost. I doubt I'd really mind if I actually do end up getting a PS4.

That said, I never paid for Gold when I owned a 360, because I had no one to play with. I'd probably buy the PS4 for the singleplayer games.

On Xbox, that money goes to having a robust centralized set of servers that handle matchmaking for everyone on every game. This helps prevent the BS that EA has been pulling by disabling multiplayer servers a year after they sold the game, since it's out of the publishers hands. Presumably, it makes it easier for smaller devs to include multiplayer since the infrastructure is already setup for them ahead of time.

Steam has free multiplayer, but it's up to every dev to set it up themselves, leading to some pretty lousy implementations (and some good ones too.) I'd hapily pay 5 bucks a month for stable, homogenious, and reliable multiplayer on Steam just like I currently do on Xbox. I hope that the money that Sony is going to start charging goes to this same sorts of things. If it does, I'll be happy to pay.

Okay, new shit has come to light.

psnfucked1.jpg

So Jack Tretton clarified in an interview that the Playstation 4 won't stop publishers from establishing DRM / anti-trade policies if they wish. He asserted that Sony's in-house publishing won't do that kind of stuff, and left the answer at that.

People are reading the worst into it or struggling to figure out what it means. Luckily there's an actual answer to consider.

- Publishers establishing DRM checks has been available to them on the PS3 and 360 already. It was just a matter of them deciding not to.

- Sony isn't establishing the mechanisms for publishers to do this; if a publisher wants to, it's all on them (in terms of cost and effort) (whereas Microsoft is providing some amount of the necessities)

- If a game does have DRM on the PS4, it just means that game has it. Your PS4 won't brick over one game, unlike the XB1.

I'm honestly not very impressed or pleased with any of the new consoles.  Most of it seems like stuff I already have/can do, or are things I don't care about.  I feel like it's less a step forward and more like it's NOT a step back.  Maybe I'm being overly negative but if I had to pick either the Xbone or PS4, right now I'd pick neither.

I look at new consoles now the same way I did back when they just did video games. Better graphics, higher detail, and bigger worlds. In that regard I am happy and am onboard for a PS4. 

It definitely isn't as exciting as the leap from SNES/Genesis to PSone/N64 but I'm hoping we'll see some new stuff that couldn't have been done on the current gen. Plus it will be nice to have console graphics that can compete with PC graphics for a little bit. 

My next console might be a Mac Pro. It's almost a PC, looks so much better than the consoles (although I hope people won't confuse it with a trash can), and I can just run Steam big screen mode or something and hopefully connect some kind of controller.

Apparently they just announced on the floor that Wii Fit lady is a character in Smash Bros. 4.

What the fuck, Nintendo?

Apparently they just announced on the floor that Wii Fit lady is a character in Smash Bros. 4.

What the fuck, Nintendo?

Better watch out for her Downward Facing Dog move.

To be fair, I have high hopes for the robotty Xenoblade game. The 1st party stuff will be good but non-thrilling, so it's actually up to the scarce 3rd parties to deliver some excitement.

I missed COMPLETELY EVERYTHING, I was too busy moving house, sorry Idle Forums.

This is a great disservice to the tribe on my behalf, I am left humbled and ashamed.

I'm starting to lose all hope for the WiiU. I did not expect Nintendo's showing to be so disappointing.

I always expect Nintendo to disappoint.

And yet somehow I'm still disappointed when they do.

I'm so sold on Wii Fit Trainer.

I mean to be honest, I was already sold. But this just cements it.

Because they hyped it as a special surprise announcement 45 minutes earlier, and I'm pretty sure it was the only surprise reveal they had at E3 itself. I think it's great (and hey, another female character for Smash Bros.), but what an odd thing to talk up beforehand.

Yeah I read your first post thinking "Why be annoyed? That's a hilarious idea!"

Hah, yeah, I was never annoyed, just kind of incredibly baffled.

yess yessss YESSSSS

dr. mario you had a good run as the best smash character ever, but your time is over now

WII FIT TRAINER, WELCOME TO YOUR THRONE

From Shigeru Miyamoto:

We're also working on a new Wii U Zelda game. Work on that is progressing fairly concretely. In fact, we were thinking about showing it here at E3 but decided to wait just a little bit longer before sharing it with everyone.

arglebargle

I'm actually a little irate at Nintendo for cock-teasing a new Legend of Zelda like that.

lol

I mean it's annoying but tbh it wouldn't make it come any faster, and I'm so far beyond giving a shit about in-depth previews of video games at E3.