lumberbaron

Steam Trading Card

yes, that chance is Z which might or might no be a function of X and Y

You can use coupons with items on sale, unless they changed it.

Also there's no chance of getting a booster pack when you craft a badge... It's not hard!!!!!!!!!!!

Badges crafted -> less cards in the pool -> threshold is reached -> booster packs divvied out.

I think I almost figured out the formula.

This comes quite close:

img17.gif

Well, I guess I'll just have to live on the same hope that I have for my Baseball collection. Hopefully, enough people with cards will loose intrest that the remaining ones get rare.

When you click on people's profile's in Steam, it seems to sort their friends by steam level. So I went four or five levels deep on this. I started hitting people with steam levels in the hundreds. With over a thousand games owned, hundreds of badges crafted, and hundreds of cards owned. Badges/cards just officially launched with the summer sale right? I'm not even sure what to think...

Jesus, I hope those people just have money to spare and aren't, well.... addicted, I put some money in my wallet and it still hasn't run out, but I don't even buy cards every day. Specially since I keep getting coupons for games I don't want.

Hmm, come to think of these, these crazy people must not only be buying a ton of cards, they must be buying a game JUST for the cards AND the foils.

The cards themselves are super cheap (except for foils, I guess), so it's not like they're spending a lot of money.

As far as hobbies go, it's one of the cheaper ones by far.

Yeah I guess at 0.20 a card at most, even hundreds of cards doesn't add up to be that much. I think the thing that surprised me was the number of games owned. Is there even enough time in the day to play them all? And with the limited amount of time the cards have been available, it gives the impression that playing the games is secondary to collecting the cards, which I find really weird.

There are tons of people out there with more money than time. Heck, I'm already bordering on that and I don't make a ton. At least they're spending the money instead of holding on to it I guess.

Well this card thing has begun to ruin me. I've become entangled in a strange metagame for Counterstrike:GO, DOTA and TF2 that feeds into this huge abstraction of microtransactions, in which i earn fake items that i sell for fake money that i use to buy fake cards.

Can't stop.

(give me cards)

Hey, there's a new Steam sale and a new set of cards, so I'm addicted again.

This time the Snow Globe cards evaporate just after the new year, so buy and craft now!  Or sell now!

I checked one of the unique items created from these badges (the Slime Priest skin for Realm of the Mad God) and saw it was selling for only 7 cents.  The cards were selling for 50+ cents at the same time, so it's possible to put down five dollars and get nothing in return.

Meanwhile, I sold a Snow Globe Sale card and used it to buy cards to create the Steam Summer Sale badge.  Those cards didn't go up in value, which is probably why Valve is expiring the cards from this sale.

Anyway, if anyone wants to trade and feed my stupid card habit, I'm michaeljmariano on Steam.

i got an item for Ragnarok online when crafting my snowglobe badge, and it's retail value is basically non-existant.

The odds of getting something I want, in the game I want are incredibly low.

Since when do you get items when crafting? I thought you only got smileys and discounts?

Since this sale!

It's actually made me want to trade cards, in hopes of landing a Dota 2 or TF2 item. So yeah, add me too on Steam for hot trades in your area.

I think the chance of getting an item I have a use for is 0.00000000000000000000000% because I don't play those games

The last time I crafted a badge, I got a TF2 hat and a dozen Russian friends.

I liked the coupons more. I crafted a badge, and receive some item thingy for some game I'm never going to play, and its worth 0.03 euros. At least with the coupons I might buy some odd game because it's really cheap.

It's for the winter sale badages. All other badges give you winter sale cards instead of coupons.

Someone here wanted to trade one of my duplicate Xmas cards, but I think it didn't went through Steam gave me an error and now I no longer see the notification. Is there any easy way for me to find this trade or does the trade need to be done again?

There's a trade overview screen somewhere which shows past trade offers etc. I'm not sure where, but it's there. I could see that erkki first started a trade with me and cancelled it because an other card was more suitable for me. I never saw a notification for the first trade, but I did see it on that screen.

Ok, has Steam Trading evolved to the level where there are bots doing the trading? I just put 3 of the holiday sales cards up to sale for 0.13€ each and they were bought IMMEDIATELY!

It certainly seems that way. I was trying to buy a card earlier and every time I refreshed the market page for it, I'd get a completely different set of cards, several of which were already marked as sold by the time the page loaded. It seems to be impossible for a human to click fast enough to buy any of the snow globe cards on the first page of listings. But who knows, maybe they're just that popular.