Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

It was so good. Is she really the CEO? If she ever gives up she could make it in showbiz with that timing!

I also really liked the women's sports ad, it was so vibrant! It made me want to do some sports (obv wore off pretty quick, but still).

It is weird to think this needs to be said in 2015 (at large, not here necessarily), but something that is actually very efficient and healthy for delivering nutrition to humans is food. Basically everything else is bad at it and you shouldn't use those things. Centrum is doing fuck all for your phosphorus intake. Don't take supplements! I suggest eating food to supplement your food intake.

"help how do i get all my vitamins and minerals?!"

Fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrates and whole proteins.

Food is proven to be good, yes, but unless you can provide me scientific research that shows that something like Soylent (or any other meal substitute) can't deliver the nutrients you need...? All I ever see is shit like "everything else is bad", without anything to back up the statement. Please, show me the proof, because I've been looking for it, and I obviously don't know what I'm looking for!

The biggest problem with "fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrates and whole proteins" is that I don't know what the fuck I need from those things. I have a vague sense of "yeah i need protein and veggies are good for me and i shouldn't eat a lot of sugar unless it's the good kind of sugar eat that but don't eat too much bread but carbs are important blah blah blah". I don't even know what "complex carbohydrates and whole proteins" can be found in. I mean, I have an idea, obviously, like meat is good, but don't eat red meat I guess because heart disease?? I was told recently that peas are a starchy vegetable and thus I shouldn't eat them as much as other vegetables in a perfect diet. Peas are one of like three vegetables I actually like. Great! And the fun part is that even once I learn where to find all of those things, I then have to cut them up into exact portions and make sure I don't eat too few carbs or too much of the wrong kind of fat and I'm always eating too little protein so I guess I'll eat a whole chicken for dinner...

The benefit of a meal-replacement sludge is that I never have to think about it. So, it'd be nice to have proof that it's actually bad for you!

Well, I'd make the argument that it's rarely good to abstain from thinking about something important. Especially if your plan is deferring to accept the judgement of a startup whose main concern is maximising profit and growth rather than the actual health of their customers.

I don't use Soylent and have no plans to use Soylent, so that's not really relevant for me.

As for the judgments of my character, yes, I'm a shitty person and I made peace with that many years ago. (EDIT: I just realized the preceding statement could read... awkwardly, so I need to clarify: you didn't offend me! I'm just being stupid because I'm a shitty person.) I still want to see some research about this shit!

I think the proof for something you are putting inside you should come from the "prove it is safe" side, rather than the "prove it is not" side. At a quick search, i also can't find any studies on soylent. It can be quickly validated that its constituents are in line with recommended daily intakes of the various carbs, protein etc, but that does not prove that your body is absorbing them as intended - vitamins and minerals especially can have very complex biochemical pathways before they are useful for your body.

I think the proof for something you are putting inside you should come from the "prove it is safe" side, rather than the "prove it is not" side. At a quick search, i also can't find any studies on soylent. It can be quickly validated that its constituents are in line with recommended daily intakes of the various carbs, protein etc, but that does not prove that your body is absorbing them as intended - vitamins and minerals especially can have very complex biochemical pathways before they are useful for your body.

Right! I've mentioned that before, too!

But there are people who do nothing but Soylent and they haven't died, so presumably it's not deadly.

If you'd like I can ask for some research or info for you, Twig. As for where my info comes from re: don't use supplements and eat food for food, it's my sister who is a doctor with an undergrad in nutrition and before she passed away my mother who was a dietitian. I was drinking a protein shake after working out and I got a verbal wrist slap.

This is a pretty good general nutrition guideline. If you want to lose weight, tl;dr - multiply your weight by 10. Maintaining weight multiply by 14, gain multiply by 16. Eat those calories. Shoot for 1g protein per pound, .25-.3g fat per pound, 100g minimum carbs per day, eat every vegetable you want but if you put stuff on them you better know what you're eating. If a person is really overweight (over 250 and you are not a football man, or 200 and a football lady) target 2500 and 2000 calories respectively.

Guess what? Peas rule. Eat some damn peas, they have good fiber and a surprisingly decent amount of protein. Complex carbohydrates are basically things that are not refined sugar. Whole grain bread, pasta, starchy root veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips), legumes like lentils and beans, rice. Lean protein is like, a piece of chicken or fish or beef. Lean or whole is just me saying you're targeting the protein specifically. That doesn't mean you can't eat a chicken sandwich, it means the chicken on the sandwich is your whole protein and the rest of the sandwich is something else and should be counted accordingly including the breading if it's breaded.

http://www.caloriecount.com/ is a resource I really like.

If you don't want to weigh and measure shit, just find your calorie goal and make sure to track packages so you're eating the right amount and you'll lose, maintain, or gain weight based on what you want to do.

Yes, I do want some research and info. I want a lot of it.

Also I wasn't told not to eat peas. (This was a dietician.) I was told they're, I think it was, starchy vegetables and thus they shouldn't count for my vegetable portion, or something like that. I dunno it all went over my head. Anyway, I also don't like a good deal of healthy foods, they taste awful, and I'm not really looking for advice because I don't want it. I'm fat and I'll always be fat, whatever. I'm just commenting on why people like this meal replacement shit.

Yes, I do want some research and info. I want a lot of it.

Also I wasn't told not to eat peas. (This was a dietician.) I was told they're, I think it was, starchy vegetables and thus they shouldn't count for my vegetable portion, or something like that. I dunno it all went over my head. Anyway, I also don't like a good deal of healthy foods, they taste awful, and I'm not really looking for advice because I don't want it. I'm fat and I'll always be fat, whatever. I'm just commenting on why people like this meal replacement shit.

Oh, that's easy. It's because it's simple, people are ignorant about nutrition, and they're gullible as fuck. Have you ever heard of bone broth? Bone broth, the hottest new food trend that will make you healthy. Discovered recently, in the 2010s! IT'S FUCKIN SOUP. People are selling a tiny amount of stock, a thing people made to wring all the extra nutrition out of food they weren't serving on the table, for like $9 a cup and calling it a revolution. People will buy anything they think will be a shortcut to health.

It's your choice not to look for advice, but I answered some of your questions right there. It doesn't need to be a published medical journal document to show that eating food is good for you. Food that's good for you doesn't have to taste bad.

I'm not asking why people are into meal-replacements. I'm saying "these are the reasons". X:

I do know what bone broth is. Unrelated to the weird trendy nonsense, it also just actively repulses me because I had bone marrow soup once on accident while in Korea and I wanted to die.

And listen, I knew the answer to a lot of questions I asked. I was exaggerating for the sake of argument, because that's how a lot of people think. I don't need advice!

Also, you have different tastes than me. I know what I like, and I know that most of what I like is not good for me, and I know that what I dislike contains most of what is good for me. It's fine, man. It's fine. I am who I am. I don't need a lecture. U:

Yeah Twig, I get it too. I'm way too lazy about nutrition too. I eat a lot of vegetables cause I cook vegan all the time but when it comes to actually considering nutrition my plan is to mostly just not eat too much of the obviously bad stuff and eat a lot of what I do have. I have a terribly high metabolism so I eat a bunch and that makes me extra lazy about contemplating food. I just have no faith in any quick fix solutions, last of all with food where people constantly try to exploit others and there is a wide range of efficacy between keeping you healthy and killing you.

I don't need a lecture.

I would suggest this is thoroughly debatable.

You're buying a crock pot and a blender. I'm willing to bet with even the tiniest output of effort and willingness to accept suggestions you could find things that are healthy that also taste good. Taste good to you, specifically!

One of my minor problems is that I treat picky eaters as children, and become pretty condescending to them. Not people who have specific dietary requirements, or celiacs or what have you, they usually have thought about what they eat and why. I mean people who have chosen never to expand their palate beyond the crumbed, processed shit that you ate as a child because sometimes your parents just wanted a break from owning children for an evening.

I mean people who have chosen never to expand their palate beyond the crumbed, processed shit that you ate as a child because sometimes your parents just wanted a break from owning children for an evening.

I've never understood this. You see it a lot in the UK and US, where parents will cook a separate meal for their child. How does that make sense? I just ate whatever my parents were eating. If I didn't like it, then I'd get told off and no replacement. I don't see how that's taking a break, it seems like more hard work. On mainland Europe it's practically unheard of for a kid to have a separate meal.

I also do the same, I treat picky eaters as kids because to me, they behave like kids. "I don't like this thing I've never had before" drives me nuts. I've ended nascent relationships over that. Food is super important to me, Id find it difficult to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't also love good food.

Cooking for children is a heck of a challenge especially if you're concerned about nutrition & don't want every dinnertime to be a conflict zone. I don't cook separately for my chilluns but I also find it hard to condemn those who do because I can definitely empathise with the desire for peace. Watching the kids eat only starch (ie.pasta, taters) for dinner because they didn't happen to like the sauce/accompaniment is not an easy thing. We've managed to get the 'try everything once' mentality in there, but that's not even remotely the end of the story.

The way I understand it is that from ages 2 to 10 kids are just plain only interested in high-'value' foods ie. fat, sugar, salt, because they're growing so much. Finding a way to get them to eat stuff besides those isn't exactly trivial, though we've been managing OK with a lot of experimentation (mexican tortillas so far are the biggest winner, but ofc. lead to some conflict because I make them put some veg on them as well).

Anyway, as a parent I very strongly filter non-parent judgmental speech however, because it's one of those things you fundamentally don't understand the experience of until you're one. I remember what it was like not to have kids and retroactively cringe at a lot of my opinions/statements from that time.

I'm sure i've read that kids taste foods much more strongly than adults which makes some foods completely overpowering. I can empathize there, i find the smell of oily fish cooking to be physically nauseating.

I was a super picky eater as a kid, but gradually expanded out of it. Food has a lot of anxiety associated with it: there's social pressure, it's strange, you're putting it in your body, lots of flavours make a weird first impression. Like Merus, I have a hard time with people who are pickier eaters than I am. One friend has huge anxiety around it, and it's tough for me to be sympathetic toward it, even though I know I should.

I used to have my babysitter peel the skin off of the outside of grapes. I had delicate needs. I used to also almost exclusively eat fried chicken for dinner. My parents spoiled the crap out of me and I was the worst.

One of my minor problems is that I treat picky eaters as children, and become pretty condescending to them. Not people who have specific dietary requirements, or celiacs or what have you, they usually have thought about what they eat and why. I mean people who have chosen never to expand their palate beyond the crumbed, processed shit that you ate as a child because sometimes your parents just wanted a break from owning children for an evening.

I used to have a friend whose food preferences all had ridiculous stories with them. Things like, oh, I can't eat wheat bread because one time when I was 10 I was sick and the taste reminds me of that time. She had a lot of things like that.

I don't really pick on people who are willing to just say, "I don't like that," but I've known people like that who just have to have a reason or a story to go with it, and boy do I condescend to them.

The smell of ketchup used to drop me right smack-dab in the middle of nausea city, but that stopped at some point, I dunno when.

I really hate ketchup. It's such a repulsive concoction. 

I think judging people on the food they eat is weird? I seem to be alone on this, generally. It's just really weird and gross to me, like judging people for how they dress.

I think judging people on the food they eat is weird? I seem to be alone on this, generally. It's just really weird and gross to me, like judging people for how they dress.

Well, except I've had picky eaters be a royal pain in the ass when trying to organize group events, to the point where there are a couple of people I just don't invite out to certain things.  If a grown ass adult can't live for an evening without eating an incredibly narrow selection of food, they're being kind of an asshole. 

If someone wants to live on hotdogs and mac & cheese on their own, I don't care.  But don't veto a half dozen restaurants because they don't serve hotdogs and mac & cheese. 

Yeah that shit's awkward.

Sometimes I'll just not eat lunch with the work lunch group if they're going to one of two places because at this point I know I just don't like those places. But I'll eat almost any cuisine.

And then on the other side of the coin, it's frustrating when I actually suggest something and everyone fights my suggestion and we end up going a place we've been to a thousand times. ):