Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I'm on the Firefox app that seems to run the desktop version of the site but think it's the mobile one for some reason. I've been lazy about fixing it cause I shouldn't spend so much time on my phone device anyway.

Just saw a dude in his forties cycle by me with a guitar slung on his back and wearing The Iconic Cap. This day just got a bonus 10 points.

Was it the ACTUAL iconic cap?

Yes, the actual one Aiden (it was Aiden, right?) wore from the game. It took me a minute to realise it was, because of the subtle stitching of the design.

The psychic assault that is having someone with whom you've recently had a pleasant interaction on Facebook unfriend you without comment is never something to which I've gotten used. I hadn't even made a status update between our brief conversation about Lady Stoneheart and him unfriending me today! There was no offense to give!

Sounds like ollie moss is making some room on his friends list!

The psychic assault that is having someone with whom you've recently had a pleasant interaction on Facebook unfriend you without comment is never something to which I've gotten used. I hadn't even made a status update between our brief conversation about Lady Stoneheart and him unfriending me today! There was no offense to give!

Weird.  I can't say that's something I've ever experienced.  I've either earned an unfriending (almost always relating to politics, religion or being to open minded about sex) or its a person who just dropped off FB entirely.  Sure it's not someone who just decided to quit?

From Harry S Truman's Wikipedia page:

After graduating from Independence High School (now William Chrisman High School) in 1901, Truman worked as a timekeeper on the Santa Fe Railroad, sleeping in hobo camps near the rail lines. He worked at a series of clerical jobs, and was employed briefly in the mailroom of the Kansas City Star. He returned to the Grandview farm in 1906, where he lived until entering the army in 1917. During this period, he courted Bess Wallace and proposed to her in 1911. She turned him down. Truman said that before he proposed again, he wanted to be earning more money than a farmer did.

Truman is the most recent U.S. president who had not earned a college degree. When his high school friends went off to the state university in 1901, Truman enrolled in Spalding's Commercial College, a Kansas City business school, but stayed for one semester. In 1923–25 he took night courses towards a law degree at the Kansas City Law School (now the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Law), but dropped out after losing his government job.

Makes me sad to think how he would seem like a joke nowadays.

Makes me sad to think how he would seem like a joke nowadays.

Well, it's important to remember context as well.  Truman was viewed by some as a joke back then, a political puppet with a career orchestrated by Boss Tom Pendergast.  Instead of being the "Senator from Missouri", he was jokingly referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast."  Of course his actions and politics mostly refuted the idea that he was beholden to the Kansas political and crime boss, but you also can't separate his early career from the fact that he was only able to succeed because he had powerful political and criminal allies. 

Lately, I've been thinking about hobo-camps. There was one in Portland, Oregon that the city gave their blessing to if they moved 7 miles from downtown. But now they are 7 miles from potential jobs and essential services. I wonder if hobo-camps could possibly sustain theor own food-supply or sanitation. The reason that I'm interested is because I think it's important to have a viable community for those who have lost everything but their freedom. Ideally it would be a community in which they can find their own limits and what they are and are not willing to work for.

In my utopian fantasies, tent-cities will birth more inclusive economic and social-systems.

I'm particularly interested in how the tent-city in Portland has a no-children rule in order to avoid having building-codes enforced. Safety-versus-liberty is always an interesting subject for me.

Anti-homeless laws like that bum me out. My city's been considering enacting strict anti-panhandling laws due to the number of homeless people that hang out on Main Street and ask for money, and it's baffling to me that the official stance on solving the homeless problem seems to be "let them die" rather than "help them not be homeless anymore."

I'm kinda interested in the possibility of accepting homelessness as a viable lifestyle. I like the idea that poor people can live rent-free by their own means (with government resources still available to them). I'm probably glamorizing it too much, but I am womdering if a cultural acceptance of tent-cities could lead to a communal village that some could choose without being harrassed by the community of land-owners and renters.

Have you seen Dark Days, the documentary on the camps set up in abandoned nyc subway tunnels? Camps actually sells it short, because they had built structures with power.

I remember Dallas outlawing homelessness really aggressively when I was in high school. It felt like a thing that might have happened in former Yugoslavia or something. They replaced jail time (which many homeless used as a last resort to have a place to sleep for them night) with fairly steep fines in the thousands. The ultimate effect was to drive a lot of homeless out of the city because they owed so much money to the city government from getting picked up again and again that they were afraid of getting caught and... I don't know

It was a weird law, because everybody I knew approved of it in theory but despised its execution and effects.

Weird.  I can't say that's something I've ever experienced.  I've either earned an unfriending (almost always relating to politics, religion or being to open minded about sex) or its a person who just dropped off FB entirely.  Sure it's not someone who just decided to quit?

Nope, still there and still friends with all our mutual friends. My only theory is that he's trying to prune his friends list down to a nice round number like 300 and a friend from high school who doesn't visit home much is a prime candidate for unfriending, however cordial our online interactions. Which is still a bit dumb.

I've thought about this stuff for a long time, but I recently watched

that made me interested because of the complexity of details; the adorable art-couple who will no doubt use any government assistance to save more birds, the alcoholic who dies in a fire, evoking both a sense that the police must enforce building codes and a humane attempt to help by distributing fire-extinguishers; just the general sense that these people have a lot to offer and seem to have found more community in homelessness than many find in well paying jobs. 

Warning, there is this odd anti-semitic segment in the middle of the doc.

Nope, still there and still friends with all our mutual friends. My only theory is that he's trying to prune his friends list down to a nice round number like 300 and a friend from high school who doesn't visit home much is a prime candidate for unfriending, however cordial our online interactions. Which is still a bit dumb.

I feel that way about my Steam friends list.  I only regularly interact with a few of them and actually know in real life even fewer.  Most are just people I met once when playing a game and they added me and I've never interacted with them since.  Very occasionally we'll meet up again at which point we resume a temporary friendship that usually lasts the duration of that session.  Every few months I feel like I should clean up my list but I usually don't for some reason.  It really doesn't help that people keep changing their names so much that I don't even remember who the person was to begin with.

The only person I've ever removed from my Steam Friends was an old buddy from my hometown that became an MRA somewhere down the line.

Have you seen Dark Days, the documentary on the camps set up in abandoned nyc subway tunnels? Camps actually sells it short, because they had built structures with power.

I have seen that one. Dark Days actually creeps me out more than the one I linked about the camp in New Jersey and the one I watched last night on Netflix about a tent-city in Nashville, TN. The one on Netflix does te best job of highlighting how a tent-city isn't providing a shelter as much as it's providing a sense of ownership and a chance to be useful to others. I can imagine that being immediately classified as a homeless person by people who are not homeless makes a person feel like shit; having an opportunity to provide usefulness to a community that perceives itself as equals could help these people rebuild their self-worth.

The only person I've ever removed from my Steam Friends was an old buddy from my hometown that became an MRA somewhere down the line.

Similar to me. Before getting into this community, I frequented the 4PlayerPodcast forums (which I've talked about a bit in this forum) and in retrospection, most of the people I met there were absolute trash. The worst kind of people, and September last year, I just decided to cut off any ties with them, specially through Steam. My 160 Steam Friend list went down to 70, with only a handful being from the old community. The handful few who actually grew up and became good people.

I don't think that image does it justice. The lighting is too harsh or something? I don't know. It didn't do it for me.

skin-chair-1.jpg

This is the one that convinced me it looks like a ball of flesh and then I vomited on my keyboard. I'm typing through that vomit.

"The scent comes from the aftershave of the anonymous man whose form the chair is modeled on."

what