melmer

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I just hope this is the start of an 80's throwback thing. I'd love to see the next Bioshock as a retro future Alien/s like 80's thing with a city in space. Or Fallout like take but on the 80's future stuff, wandering around on an alien world in 80's style dystopian future, using your skills to "hack the central computer" and blow torch to open doors. Robocop, The Thing, dystopian shit future worlds like Escape from New York, The Running Man, and Blade Runner. It was the last time when visions of the future were immediately relatable to the world you knew today. As you got into the nineties you had more and more nanotechnology robots and virtual reality worlds and wormholes through spacetime, and even if you understand all those things they feel more distant than not.

I'm also going to buy this too, because duh.

From that trailer I feel like the idea of this game may be more fun than the actual execution. Hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah, I got the same feeling. We'll see.

Has the presence of Uplay been confirmed or denied? I don't see anything about in on the Steam page and I'm daring to dream that I won't have to create yet another arbitrary account just to play a video game.

Has the presence of Uplay been confirmed or denied? I don't see anything about in on the Steam page and I'm daring to dream that I won't have to create yet another arbitrary account just to play a video game.

I'm pretty sure the 15-minute gameplay video that got taken down included a Uplay achievement or something popping up at one point.

dev interview from Rev3

i just read 8hr campaign... thats surprising to me i thought it would be shorter (hopefully it wont outstay its welcome)

The Polygon interview makes it seem the designer's intent is to make a stupid, fun, dumb game. That's a totally legit aim, but doesn't appeal to me. The aesthetic will have to be super impressive to make up for uninspired gameplay.

i hope its more than just a farcry3 palette swap + jokes

They will have missed a fucking trick if they haven't changed the heavy enemy's model to look like a terminator cyborg exoskeletons.. they wouldn't even need to change the AI behaviour, they just slowly walk towards you

228px-Privateer_Heavy_Gunner.jpg into Terminator.jpg

the steam trailer looks like reskinned Far Cry 3, which I can deal with for $15, though the snippets of in game footage don't seem to have the same color leakage/post effects. 

I heard that this is something you can download as standalone without the game.

That might be perfect for me, cos I didn't buy Far Cry 3. One that I can invest less time and money into, and that cuts straight to the point, might be really good!

If it's a dumb joke thing then whatever, thumbs up! I got time for that.

I feel like that comedy's missed the bullseye by a smidge, but hey that soundtrack is spot on.

It's $15. I feel like that would make it worth it pretty much no matter what. I am completely down with this, especially as I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet and thus am not sick of the gameplay. For those that have played FC3 to death, maybe it's less appealing? I dunno.

I also love the term "Expandalone." I'm down for this for sure, and I'll probably end up playing it before I actually play Far Cry 3.

That was pretty awesome. 

Still not overly interested in the actual game, though. I will probably end up buying it at some point because of the cutscenes and (hopefully) the main menu, but the gameplay videos did cut down my excitement a bit.

I can't ever get excited about projects built on nostalgia, and on top of that, the 'so bad it's good' aesthetic movement is beginning to seriously irritate me; so this is... urg. It feels like we're giving way too much attention and too many praises to something that sounds lazy and/or cynical and/or reactionary. How is this any different from Space Marine 101? Because they say it's for the lols?

I can't ever get excited about projects built on nostalgia, and on top of that, the 'so bad it's good' aesthetic movement is beginning to seriously irritate me; so this is... urg. It feels like we're giving way too much attention and too many praises to something that sounds lazy and/or cynical and/or reactionary. How is this any different from Space Marine 101? Because they say it's for the lols?

That's what I'm afraid of.  This feels like Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard all over again.  A game that started with an amusing concept and had some funny jokes in it, but in the end all we're left with is a crappy game about nothing.  Granted, the premise, look, and humor in Blood Dragon already appear to be 1000% better than Matt Hazard but I'm still leery.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

I dunno, the things you describe as negatives are literally the things attracting me to this game. I love the fact that it's both lampooning yet paying tribute to the hilarious-in-hindsight style of a bygone era. In fact this is possibly the only way those with kids will ever manage to show them what made the games and shows we grew up with so sweet.

One thing to remember is the fact that this will likely be a really fun game. It seems to be built on the technology and mechanics of Far Cry 3, so I don't think there's much chance this will be anything but a great experience. In a way the craziness of the setting allows the FC3 designers to make an already gamey-feeling game (?????) feel even more so, never holding back gameplay for the sake of petty things like 'realism'. I can't wait to see what they've come up with.

I know some people have found the gameplay the least attractive part of what's been shown so far, but I'm really liking the look of it myself. Looks like a crazy sci-fi world which is right up my street, with insane things like dinosaurs/dragons thrown in for good measure.

Also, I found the music in that live-action video quite evocative of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's

. Really need to remember to pick up the soundtrack for that game.