melmer

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

My favourite part of playing Far Cry 3 was taking over bases, and I've been hearing this is basically that, which I am totally cool with. I'm not really enticed, or put off for that matter, by the setting and aesthetic that they're going for. It's goofy, dumb and colourful and that at least is a little different from a lot of games I've been playing recently.

I'm kinda confused to find out this exists and it's already coming out... I'm also confused to see people excited by a "retro inspired" game like this yet everybody forgot about Double Dragon Neon, which was as absurd as this look but with punches.

I'm glad it's a stand alone game, I'm pretty likely to get this then.

Double Dragon Neon sucked. I liked the stylings (and you're right, it's in similar territory to this), and virt's soundtrack was OK, but it wasn't fun at all, and that's coming from someone who still likes brawlers.

Exactly. This is actually the kind of game I'd like to play unlike most tributes to anything ever.

Incidentally, I've started up Far Cry 3 again. I really hated it the first time I played it, but thanks to a little modding it sucks considerably less. I've turned off most of the interface, replaced the minimap with a compass, modded out any of the requirements to do the story missions (e.g. the whole of both islands is open from the start, no restrictions on guns or perks), turned off the "tagging system", and tweaked some of the weapon settings. I also changed all of the language options to French, thereby avoiding the awful voice acting. I basically just drive around and take over bases, and the game is fun on that basis. The only thing that really bothers me still is the crafting system and the lack of an in-game map. 

Imagine  it really WAS a take on the disconection between games and life, and the map slowly devolved as you played to a 3d sprite world like proteus... right down to a wire-frame 2.5d shooter...

The gameplay devolution being a metaphor for an ex-serviceman who's mind is going to shit... right before his last breathe the flood of adrenaline opens his mind to the real world for one last moment:
reno-homeless-open-air-preaching-shawn-t

Got a new AMD video card a couple months ago, which bagged me Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite at the time. Looks like AMD has added Blood Dragon to the promotion and honored the addition to early buyers, so I was surprised with a nice free copy of the game. Unfortunately, it uses Ubisoft's UPlay client but I guess I'll do what it takes to get a free game. I'll give it some good time tomorrow night and report my thoughts!

I finally started to play the game and... I don't get it... Everybody is yelling that this is so 80's but... why? It almost seems... mean spirited? The cutscenes are so lazily animated that even Filmnation would call them out for being lazy and the android look like Daft Punk...

It feels like what people who weren't alive in the 80's taught the 80's was like? It doesn't remind me of the 80's or 90's that much. :|

It's definitely a miss for me. While I would say that the overall quality improves after the tutorial, the game never really comes together with the whole ''lol 80s'' thing. 99% of the humor is just a total flatline.

Those animated cutscenes are atrocious. 

Also! I was also curious about Sean's Blood Dragon opinions on the latest podcast. 

Also also! Hello. First post. 

It's definitely a miss for me. While I would say that the overall quality improves after the tutorial, the game never really comes together with the whole ''lol 80s'' thing. 99% of the humor is just a total flatline.

Yeah, I have a friend who's campaigning hard to get everyone playing it, but I can never him to elaborate beyond "It's everything bad about the eighties, all in one game!" I have begun to suspect that's the only appeal.

I've played more and.... this seems like "Eat Leat (remember that game?) Neon Edition" and with 80's stuff decided by a committee that wasn't alive or doesn't remember it well. "Just add old TVs, bad animation, VHS tapes, robots and neon colors, that'll do!"

The jokes are Eat Lead-ish since it's "Don't games suck when they do this?" and forcing you to do it anyway, the notes seems to be about how the bad guy wants to bone the "sexy doctor", the robots look more like Daft Punk than anything from the 80's, the tapes will unfortunately have no clips on them are just movies they made that they think would exist in the 80's and would be funny, but wouldn't and aren't....

It's not cartoony enough too be an 80's cartoon and it's too "cartoony" to be a movie, even a terrible one.... 

People who say this game is awesome are saying it is because it's 80's (which it isn't) and because it's so dumb it's awesome, like Deadly Premontion, which it isn't, they just added a neon filter and some "meta" jokes...  "LOL, we spent all our budget on colored text!", "Lol, sirens are loud!", "LOL, AREN'T WE RANDOM AND HILARIOUS!".

I just witnessed their "best joke" so far... You have kill turtles in a sewer! HA HA HA! 

It's probably the closest thing to an actual 80's thing in the game and the closest thing to a joke, but they couldn't be subtle and they had to make sure the sewer was filled with pizza and the turtles had "masks", because heaven forbid we have to actually connect the dots to make the joke. :|

I kept feeling like there was something wrong with my computer whenever the cutscenes would play. What is going on with the timing there? I get the whole "remember when cutscenes used to be like this" thing, except that the value of that "tribute" wears thin after about 30 seconds.

Then you have to spend the rest of the game with:

"How do I disable the countdown?"

...no dialog as static frame pans across the screen...

"Tap into the mainframe!"

...no dialogue as different static frame pans the other way...

"Ok!"

...no dialog as different static frame pans down...

I only played for about an hour but I had to skip the cutscenes after the second one because I couldn't handle it.